• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 K75S: Radiator fan "helicoptering" into the radiator HELP PLZ

Zagando

BMW uber alles!
:dunnoI tried to search the forum before posting this but something is preventing the Search This Thread tab from opening---sorry if this has been discussed before.

I just got the fan blades/front motor shroud pried off and can see how this happened in the first place (fan spindle mashes into the back of the radiator).

Is there any remedy for this? I thought of hot-gluing the fan shroud at the end of the motor shaft but the heat from the radiator would probably melt this and be ineffective.

Maybe a bit of Fast Steel epoxy putty on the end instead?:dunno

When I install the new fan (hopefully in the next couple of hours today) I'll soft hammer the shroud back on very well and just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't work it's way up the shaft to rejoin the back of the radiator which it seems prone to do. I wonder if grinding off the round bushing or nub at the front of the shroud is a good or bad idea?:dunno

This must have been what caused my chirping noise all along! Oh, well, now I have a brand new radiator fan that I won't have to worry much about and I can always sell the old fan motor to recoup some of my expense; it appears to be fine (I'll run it on my adjustable power supply a good while to make sure).

Another idea

Maybe it would be a better preventative to apply a small amount of Fast Steel onto the damaged fins and core of the radiator instead of on the fan shroud.

That way, if the blades/shroud ever creeped back up the motor shaft it would hit the solid-as-steel Fast Steel and do no further damage.

Unless I hear otherwise I think that's what I will do after I clean everything up before reassembly.

Fan/radiator assembly installed now and I put a small patch of Fast Steel on the damaged area as planned. If the shroud ever starts to helicopter into it again it will hit the steel epoxy instead.

Pix to follow...

Done!

A bit late but here are the pix I promised;

BEFORE

DSC_9830_zps71f8c405.jpg

AFTER

DSC_9846.jpg

THE CULPRIT (the metal nib in the center of the propeller was rubbing/mashing into the radiator backside causing all the screeching as well as some minor damage caught in time)

DSC_9844.jpg

radiator fan

What I have done is replace the fan motor on the k1100 once. Lasted maybe 6 months due to buying it from a bmw grave yard.
Now I have an after market fan fastened to the front of the radiator and removed the fan from the rear.

Then watching the temp or in slow traffic turn on the aftermarket fan. Works. i average 15,000 miles per year and this set up has been on the bmw for the last 3 years.

Tim

1995 K1100RS, 127,000+

Sounds like a brilliant solution that you worked out there, Tim.

Still either haven't had a chance to go for a ride since I installed the new fan motor or it's too darn cold but I strongly suspect that it'll be fine for a long time to come.

Hopefully I won't be adding anything further to this thread for a long time.;)

Back