• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Rino 530HCX

B

bkwags

Does anyone use a rino 530 with DC power adapter on their bike? I was wondering if top half of the Ram mount I use on my Dakar will work on my RT with a direct DC power cable. I would like to use DC power from the bikes battery instead of the Garmin battery on longer trips.

First wondering if the 12V cable will fit in the Ram mount. Second, how well will the charger stay put when hitting a bump at 70mph.

Another option is the litium battery. Any comments on it's performance and how well it fits in the Ram mount. Is it worth the extra $30 for the litium vs the alkaline??

Not enough info to comment. Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - things like year and model may well make a difference in a GPS mount, so it's useful info to have in the thread title.

FWIW - all RT's come with a plug made just for the GPS connection. It provides switched 12V power (with a 30 seconds to turn off after the key is off). It runs in parallel to the auxiliary outlet. It's usually found under the front of the tank on the starboard side of the bike, accessible if you're lucky without tank removal. There is a 3 wire "repair plug" that can be had for $25 from your dealer that plugs right into it. The two outside leads are + and -. A bit of searching here will turn up a diagram of which is which.

Don, not to hijack this thread too much, but does the R1200RT and R1200R (2012) share the wiring harness? It would be nice to connect my GPS to.

Thanks,

Wayne

Edit: I think I answered my own question. Looking on another site they mention a three pin connector on the right side under the tank behind the horn. It is cable tied to the frame with a cover on it. My bike has this connector. They also mention that BMW has a connector that mates with it, I am going to Gateway BMW this weekend to see. Anyway, Don does this look like the corrector connector?

Attachments

• I think this is the connector.jpg
    I think this is the connector.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
That's it. Some of them are hidden more.. you're lucky they tied it to the frame right where you can get at it. The three-pin connector will plug right into it.

Thanks Don, off to Gateway. Hope to only come home with a connector, they have an very nice R75 "toaster" there too. Been look at it on line for awhile now.

Wayne

Finally got to Gateway to buy the connector that mates with the one under the tank for the GPS. It retails for about $24, not bad for a BMW part.

After speaking with the service manager I decided not to go that route. I was trying to hook a standard GPS (Garmin) to that connector so it would shut off when I turn off the key. This would save me from having to unplug it from the extra pigtail that I added.

He said it can be done, but the non BMW GPS has a battery in it and it will fool the bike to keep that connector live after shutting down. That will run the battery down in about two weeks. They tried it on a few bikes that that was what they got.

He suggested adding a second pigtail off the battery for the GPS, then add a relay and power it by the accessory plug, the headlight, or some other voltage that is switched off with the key. Run the GPS voltage through the relay contacts. Sounds simple enough to do.

Hope this helps some others with the same idea.

Wayne

Finally got to Gateway to buy the connector that mates with the one under the tank for the GPS. It retails for about $24, not bad for a BMW part.

After speaking with the service manager I decided not to go that route. I was trying to hook a standard GPS (Garmin) to that connector so it would shut off when I turn off the key. This would save me from having to unplug it from the extra pigtail that I added.

He said it can be done, but the non BMW GPS has a battery in it and it will fool the bike to keep that connector live after shutting down. That will run the battery down in about two weeks. They tried it on a few bikes that that was what they got.

He suggested adding a second pigtail off the battery for the GPS, then add a relay and power it by the accessory plug, the headlight, or some other voltage that is switched off with the key. Run the GPS voltage through the relay contacts. Sounds simple enough to do.

Hope this helps some others with the same idea.

Wayne

Well... not to argue with the service manager... but that circuit shuts off with an aftermarket OR BMW branded GPS in it. There is no real functional difference between a Garmin 660 and a NAV-IV. And the NAV-IV is hooked up to that circuit (comes with the cord to do it.)

The CanBus shuts that circuit down about 30 seconds after you turn the key off. The circuit is in parallel to the auxiliary port circuit on the R1200R and both have a normal delayed off feature. There is nothing in a GPS that will keep that circuit alive, in order to do that - it has to tell the ZFE module that it's there and wants voltage - just like the CanBus specific chargers do that plug into your auxiliary port (BMW and Accumate.)

I'd be suspect of the advice he gave - there are way too many people running exactly that setup who experience no problems. If it really worries you - simply unplug the GPS from the mount when you're putting the bike away (I do that usually whenever I stop someplace, except in my garage, primarily so someone doesn't walk off with my GPS.)

If it wasn't a PITA to cut into my nicely soldered/shrink-wrapped connections to the repair plug, I'd put an milli-ammeter in the circuit and see if there is some mystery stray draw.

Hi Don,

I don't fully understand it either. If the plug on the side and the one under the tank are the same, it should work. I say that because it is the setup I used until I added a pigtail for the GPS so I could free up the factory connector for my electric vest and CANBUS charger. Problem with the pigtail, I have to unplug it to shut off power to the GPS.

I am like you, I do not want to cut into any wires on a bike that is only a few months old and later be told that I blew something if a warranty issue comes up. I also take my GPS off when I leave the bike outside.

Oh, on the R75 toaster that is there, nice shape, but a little less nice than I want. So, it is off my "want list."

Wayne

Back