• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thinking Of Returning To a K100RS

Paul, or anyone. Regarding K100's my understanding is there wasn't very much in the way of changes between a 1985 and 1990, except for ABS becoming available in what 1989? What about K75's? Are they about the same from 1986-1995 excepting for the ABS availability? Were there any meaningful improvements affecting durability or servicing that you're aware of?

I can tell you that in about 1990, BMW made some changes to their K75. They included the following:1) Lighter pistons and rods. 2) Different water pump. 3) Different front forks. 4) Bigger alternator (1994). 5)Three spoke wheels (as an option, although may have been stock on the "S".)

It is my understanding that K bikes with the lighter pistons, reworked water pump and fork changes are classified as a K75/2.

I may have the details and/or dates wrong. I am sure someone with more knowledge can give you better info. Ask 98Lee, he is a K75 genius:)

I wrote down this Link a while back for K Bike Heat Guards:

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
901 314 0143

I dialed the number and it goes into a weird ATT voicemail. Could not leave a message.

I wonder if this guy is still around and producing these items?

I too would like to get a heat guard/ blanket for my K 75 RT, I wonder if there was enough demand to put together a order of X amount, could someone do a batch..??
signed:
sweaty knackers

The Johnny Blanket is easy to make with material from Home Depot.

"GOOGLE" Johnny Blanket and a link to another BMW site will come up.

I can tell you that in about 1990, BMW made some changes to their K75. They included the following:1) Lighter pistons and rods. 2) Different water pump. 3) Different front forks. 4) Bigger alternator (1994). 5)Three spoke wheels (as an option, although may have been stock on the "S".)

Thanks, Argent. Do you know what model year the Motometer was improved? They would intermittently stop functioning on many, including my 1988, and were replaced. Always something to be conscious of when looking at older K bikes.

Thanks, Argent. Do you know what model year the Motometer was improved? They would intermittently stop functioning on many, including my 1988, and were replaced. Always something to be conscious of when looking at older K bikes.

Can't say that I remember when the change was made. I am sure someone around here knows when the speedometer upgrade was done.

Not 100% on this but I believe it was 1993---I know my '94 has the Gore Tex vents (which do not really help much with the condensation problem as intended).

If my guess is wrong somebody will chime in with the corect answer...

The cluster is pretty easy to fix. The problem is generally poor connection between the ribbon cable and the pins that connect to the external cable. It is just a matter of reinforcing and soldering the connections.

Reinforcing and soldering?

I fixed my intermittent speedo by the usual and recommended method; clean the square wire posts and twist them slightly to maintain a better connection. No soldering called for.

I augmented my fix with a light application of Noalox (conductive grease, not to be confused with dielectric grease which is the exact opposite). No more problems since save for residual condensation showing up inside the cluster.

I've loved my 88 K100RS but wish to let it go to a new home. I have recently found a K100rt Forum where there are all manner of vintage K100 enthusiasts from the world over.

http://www.k100-forum.com/forum

You might look around there a bit, OR look in the MOA flea market...
I cannot blame you for wanting to go "back" to one. They are seriously great bikes.

Thanks 88, I'm bookmarking that forum.

Yeah I'm occasionally checking the flea market, Craigslist, etc. I'm in no hurry and would prefer a K100RS or possibly K75S, (mostly) stock with relatively low miles. I guess the perfect one would be owned by someone interested in moving to a scooter, as I have a nice Suzuki Burgman 650 to sell.

On the US Ebay there is a very nice looking K100RS right now. The "buy it now" price is very attractive. If I didn't have a nice one in the garage at the moment, I'd sure be looking at this one myself.

I've never had a K100RS. Neither has Voni. She jumped from a K75 to an R1100RS.

But between us we can't not have a K75. Right now there are three right outside the door and a 4th in Kansas. Total I think we have had eight. Every time either of us is without one we seem to need to find one.

Folks who liked the K100 as well as we liked K75s back in their day will still like them just as well today. Folks who thought they were too hot or top heavy or whatever will find them the same today, I suppose.

Since I'm a sit-up-and-beg type rider I have always liked the tall bar K75s. Did then. Still do. I would sell any/all of my bikes before I would sell the K75 I bought last year from Marilyn Roberts.

Last edited:
Great Endorsement for K75

I would sell any/all of my bikes before I would sell the K75 I bought last year from Marilyn Roberts.

Now that is an endorsement, from a person that knows bikes. I feel real good about my 85 K100RS.

....But between us we can't not have a K75. Right now there are three right outside the door and a 4th in Kansas. Total I think we have had eight..... I would sell any/all of my bikes before I would sell the K75 I bought last year from Marilyn Roberts.

You just made me feel really good about choosing a K75 over an older boxer.

Thank you.

On the US Ebay there is a very nice looking K100RS right now. The "buy it now" price is very attractive. If I didn't have a nice one in the garage at the moment, I'd sure be looking at this one myself.

I just checked and didn't see the listing? Saw one in AZ with 68K but not a buy now. What year and mileage?

Milo, I went back and had another look. You're correct. No "buy it now" price. It may have been changed by the owner, or I had a Senior Moment.
Naw.... not me. Not the kid! :whistle

8-Valve K-Bikes can be had for ridiculously little money, and 16-Valves for little more.

I still have my hot-rod '86 K100RS. It's so much lighter than the later bikes that it feels like a bicycle by comparison, and it still makes me smile.

Love my 1990 k75 standard converted from parking lot tip overRT. Yesterday I picked up a 1987K100rt with28773 on the clock.Always garaged but sitting dormant for 13 years.Can you say toxic sludge in gas tank. I couldn't find a post on easiest way to remove it.If some pne has alink I'd appreciate it.Has anyone used the Euro Motoreletrics total fuel tank pars kit for $360?Thanks in advance.I'm going to make a stab at doing all of my maintainance on my K bikes from here on out.

I imagine that there's probably a great solvent that can be used to clean out your tank with and hopefully someone will chime in with the right answer specifically. Maybe acetone or mineral spirits? Both are available by the gallon at big box stores.

You will need to remove the tank and really check it thoroughly for other problems such as pinhole leaks along the bottom-most areas where water may have collected over the years, too.

My fuel pump and damper was still OK when I found some pinholes/corrosion in mine; I used Fast Steel epoxy putty from Home Depot to fix it for good. $5 and easy fix should you also encounter that problem as well.

I can recommend EuroMoto Electrics highly; their prices and service ABSOLUTELY ROCK!

Good luck on reinvigorating your new "old girl!"

Back