• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thinking Of Returning To a K100RS

milo

I know most BMW riders interested in an older BMW gravitate to Airheads. Has there been any renewed interest for the original K's? I've always admired the original K100RS and regret selling both my 1987 and 1991 years ago. (The K1100's, while perhaps better, don't do anything for me.) I figured if any group would know the trends it'd be here.

Two thumbs up on your idea from me

There are a lot of us who have had airheads (and still do) but have gravitated back to early Ks. I bought a K100RS the first year they came out and loved it (despite a terrible stock seat and a fair amount of vibration).

I now ride a very smooth K75S and will probably never part with it.

I wouldn't mind having another 1985 K100RS though; they all came with the hotter European cam and additional horsepower. What a blast to ride, especially at 112 to 120 mph (sweet spots).

Go for it!:dance

Last edited:
Great Deals

:blahSome of the best deals for great bikes are the early K100s. For around $3,000. or so, you can get great low mileage K-bike. I like the K100RT tho.:thumb

LOL yeah I remember how warm those K bikes were. Heck the tank itself even got hot from the heated fuel. Perfect for this time of year :D
Actually I wouldn't rule out a nice K75S either. I guess my order of preference would be 1) 1990-1991 K100RS 16v. 2) K100RS 8v. later the better. 3) K75S. Looking for the right one will give me something to do this winter. Meanwhile I'll occasionally lurk here to keep abreast of various issues and fixes.

We have 4 K75s. One "S", one "RTP", and two "Standard" (low seat.

Not the highest tech, and not the fastest, or the quickest, but still the best bike BMW ever built in my opinion.

I am another one who had a K75 back in 1986 (a K75C) and had to sell it. Recently bought a 1993 K75S since the S model was the one I really wanted back then. There is just something about those bikes. I liked them then and I like them now.

I, being of superior mind, realized the greatness of the early K's and never let mine go. (actually I'm just cheap)

I had a K75 standard that was a great bike. I had a K1100LT that was very very hot in the summer months. I also have returned to the Airheads, although I do have a new G650GS just for fun...

Good heat!

:blahI cured the heat problem enough with after-market panels that better held the heat around the engine, so the heat never botherd me. in the winter, I would remove those panels along with the panels between the faring and gas tank to expose the motor. It was like heaven, heated seat, heated handlebars, and nice warm air blowing on my legs. I ride year around in Michigan, as long as there is no slippery roads. That 85 K100RT had well over 100,000 miles without any major problems, never let me down. Probably did around a million second gear wheelies too:dance 100,000 miles is only broke in, I love checking odometers at rallies, Ive seen K's with 350,000+ miles on them.

We have 4 K75s. One "S", one "RTP", and two "Standard" (low seat.

Not the highest tech, and not the fastest, or the quickest, but still the best bike BMW ever built in my opinion.

Paul, or anyone. Regarding K100's my understanding is there wasn't very much in the way of changes between a 1985 and 1990, except for ABS becoming available in what 1989? What about K75's? Are they about the same from 1986-1995 excepting for the ABS availability? Were there any meaningful improvements affecting durability or servicing that you're aware of?

The earlier Ks have the aluminum colored cases, peg mounts, and swingarm which I like the look of. The later Ks have the blacked out cases, peg mounts and swing arm.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is important:

I cured the heat problem enough with after-market panels that better held the heat around the engine.

So 04gt4me, do you remember what company made these panels, if they are still in business, and where you got them? I love my '85 K100RT, but it's pretty hot in the middle of the summer.

Thanks,
Johnny

Renewed interest in the K-bike(s)

After decades riding airheads, I bought a K100RS. I'll be the first to admit I was unsure whether I'd made the right move, but after some rides and wrenching I have come to hold it in very high esteem. I'd always liked the look, but the test ride I took in the 80's put me off. The bike seemed heavy and it buzzed a lot.
Fast forward to the present. My K100RS, in a sharp state of tune is pretty smooth. It's handling reflects a giant leap over the old airheads. The bike just loves high speed travel. I've slipped insulated jackets over the fuel lines and reduced substantially the tendency of the fuel tank to grow hot. As for riding in hot weather - and believe me, where I live it is hot in the summer - I've found that I simply need to pull my legs out from the sides of the tank and into the airstream a bit and the heat is tolerable.
In short, my bike is a keeper; we've bonded!

Engine panels

Geez, I realy don't remember, I found them at a rally. Hopefully someone remembers who made them. Sorry:dunno

Don't have an RS but I do ride a K100RT. Don't tell the Oil Heads, but I actually prefer many aspects of my old K over my R1100RT.

Hopefully someone remembers who made them. Sorry:dunno

I've seen the heat shields, but I'm not sure who made them.
Was it CC Products, the same company that made injector covers for the K75?

Luckenbach2001.jpg

I wrote down this Link a while back for K Bike Heat Guards:

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
901 314 0143

I dialed the number and it goes into a weird ATT voicemail. Could not leave a message.

I wonder if this guy is still around and producing these items?

I too would like to get a heat guard/ blanket for my K 75 RT, I wonder if there was enough demand to put together a order of X amount, could someone do a batch..??
signed:
sweaty knackers

I wrote down this Link a while back for K Bike Heat Guards:

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
901 314 0143

I dialed the number and it goes into a weird ATT voicemail. Could not leave a message.

I wonder if this guy is still around and producing these items?

I too would like to get a heat guard/ blanket for my K 75 RT, I wonder if there was enough demand to put together a order of X amount, could someone do a batch..??
signed:
sweaty knackers

I have a set of Tony's K Guards. I'll check with a friend of his and see if he has any left.

He used my bike to fit/test them, and I tried to help drum up business for him. The last time we spoke a few years ago, he said there was not much interest and he was putting them on hold.

Back