• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Osram H11 Nightbreaker

I was wondering how they get "90% more light" from a 55W bulb. I found an interesting discussion at candlepower.com. They claim the original Night Breaker may have a relatively short life, though some sites are mentioning an updated version using 60W and a 50% longer life?

As a possible alternative, these have gotten some good reviews.

The H11 base looks like an automotive style. Most recent BMW bikes use an H7 bulb.

Has anyone used the Osram H11 Nightbreaker bulbs from Powerbulbs?

I've used several of the so-called high output bulbs and there is only minor difference between them, usually color temperature is the only noticeable diff. If you want really high output, go for the 55 watt HID kit.

If you want really high output, go for the 55 watt HID kit.
Agreed, for low-beams, the right move at the right price is the DDM Tuning 55W HID dual lamp kit. I got mine for $50 and it's a huge improvement on my R1200RT.

Sadly, I think their website is a victim of Sandy's power outages at the moment, but the contact information I have on file is:

DDM Tuning
7171 Ronson Road, Suite A
San Diego, CA 92111
Phone: Order Status: 714.901.5080
OEM Parts: 858.715.1641
General Inquiry & Tech Support: 858.633.2020

You DO NOT want to use HID bulbs for the high-beam as they have a non-trivial warm-up time. You're better off with an Osram or something for that.

Last edited:
Watts are Watts - lots of snakeoil and overpriced lamps.
Read more here:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

Did you even READ the link you posted?

Read the section on Bulb Description and Ratings.

Look at H4 60/55 and then at H4 +50 60/55.

Same watts but 15% more lumens (more light).

Osama Siverstar H4 60/55 are noticeably brighter than standard (or even Sylvania Silverstar) H4 60/55 bulbs.

No snake oil. Don't step in the Ufda. Read the details.

:dance:dance:dance

Did you even READ the link you posted?

Read the section on Bulb Description and Ratings.

Look at H4 60/55 and then at H4 +50 60/55.

Same watts but 15% more lumens (more light).

Osama Siverstar H4 60/55 are noticeably brighter than standard (or even Sylvania Silverstar) H4 60/55 bulbs.

No snake oil. Don't step in the Ufda. Read the details.

Granted, his is the only one that I know of and have used that is.
The rest are basically all the same was my point

Both the link you posted and the Candlepower link that klaus posted point out that the blue tinted bulbs, while putting out "whiter" light, actually put out LESS light than equivalent clear bulbs. That's where the real snake oil is. That's what they were both knocking.

Lumen output decreases with age.
Simply replacing the lamp after a couple of years will noticeably improve night time visibility.
This applies to Filament lamps as well as HID's.

Hey, there are a lot of things that decrease with age, but I'm not ready to be replaced!:gerg

Has anyone used the Osram H11 Nightbreaker bulbs from Powerbulbs?

I'm surprised to read there's a BMW motorcycle that uses an H11 bulb.

This is a single filament bulb, so if we're talking headlights there will be another bulb for high (or another for low) nearby. Lots of room used up by the H11's big plastic connector, I'd think.

I've got yellow H11s in my SUV foglights and I maybe thought foglight applications were about it for H11s.

Nightbreakers are rated 100% more light IIRC and I've remained cautious regarding them.

My standards are +50% for low beams and +80% for high beams and they work great and have proved reliable. This is Phillips stuff and I think they've now replaced their +80 with +100 so we'll see.

The best thing is to buy from Europe and not from PepBoys. Some sellers of Europe stuff on Amazon, however.

65W bulbs are illegal BTW.

I'm surprised to read there's a BMW motorcycle that uses an H11 bulb.

This is a single filament bulb, so if we're talking headlights there will be another bulb for high (or another for low) nearby. Lots of room used up by the H11's big plastic connector, I'd think.

I've got yellow H11s in my SUV foglights and I maybe thought foglight applications were about it for H11s.

Nightbreakers are rated 100% more light IIRC and I've remained cautious regarding them.

My standards are +50% for low beams and +80% for high beams and they work great and have proved reliable. This is Phillips stuff and I think they've now replaced their +80 with +100 so we'll see.

The best thing is to buy from Europe and not from PepBoys. Some sellers of Europe stuff on Amazon, however.

65W bulbs are illegal BTW.

Thanks Kent,
that's the info I was looking for. application is my Camry,probably should have posted in Campfire. There were some indications the HID conversion wasn't working well with the stock projectors, but I've since learned differently, will be using a Phillips conversion, for it, and the 9005 Osrams for the high beams.
BTW, I have a DDM HID in my K bike low beam that works great!

I use the Nightbreakers on my bike and on my car. There is definitely a difference in light output. It's not huge but every little bit counts when you're an old guy :) On my K75 I get a year out of a bulb so, yes, lifespan is shorter than for a standard bulb.

Some years ago I did some rather extensive testing and plotting of the output of various bulbs for the BMW Car Club magazine Roundel. This included the high-output Osram bulbs. Daniel Stern was a great help in this testing and article. The testing took several months to complete (working steadily at night..)

Some quick conclusions (I only tested the +50 bulbs in the higher-output bulbs, I also tested HIR bulbs - Google them - HID conversions and about 10 different halogen bulbs.):

- The Osram Nightcutter +50 euro bulbs DO put out more light then a standard bulb. They put out more light then the Sylvania/Osram Nightcutter bulb sold in the US. The US version has a bit of blue coating so the color is different (and not actually what you want) The tradeoff with a high-output bulb is a shorter life. The filament is wound tighter and burns hotter. Current consumption (IE - AMPS) is the same as a standard bulb. (FWIW Watts = Amps x Volts and using "Watts" to measure light output is really questionable since different bulbs produce different amounts of light when drawing the same current at the same voltage.) Real measurements use "FC - footcandles, or Candella, or Lumens" - all are measures of the quantity of light. Also significant is how useful the light is - ie - the pattern. That changes with bulb type due to differences in how the filament, or arc (for an HID) is shaped.

- Some of the blue bulbs, including one very large aftermarket* brand's version put out less light then a new standard halogen bulb. Blue coatings are an immediate sign to me of marketing over performance. I'd avoid them.

- As someone pointed out - bulbs age. Replacing an old halogen with an identical new one can increase light output about 20-25% with no other change.

- HID conversions can blind oncoming traffic, which is never a good thing. HID specific headlights are designed not to do this.. the halogen headlight converted to HID will not be optimal for the HID light source. I know people will say they never get flashed, or it doesn't make a difference, but I agree with Daniel Stern on this - it's really a questionable practice. IMHO - if you need that much more light, consider auxiliary lights which can be setup to switch on with your highbeams. You can aim the auxiliary lights so they are useful and fill in spots where your headlight doesn't reach.

* the aftermarket bulb brand starts with P, has 4 letters and ends with A..

Your Lumens May Vary..

Don's right about blue headlight bulbs.

However, it's kind of fun to use blue-coated park light bulbs, i.e. W5W.

They look white when lit instead of yellow and look kind of cool when off.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 689
- HID conversions can blind oncoming traffic, which is never a good thing. HID specific headlights are designed not to do this.. the halogen headlight converted to HID will not be optimal for the HID light source.

It depends on the reflector and if the HID light source is in the same spot as the halogen it replaces. For me, HID works great on one bike, not so much in the Toyota.

- The Osram Nightcutter +50 euro bulbs DO put out more light then a standard bulb. They put out more light then the Sylvania/Osram Nightcutter bulb sold in the US. The US version has a bit of blue coating so the color is different (and not actually what you want)

Don,

I COULD be wrong, but I think you meant the Osram SILVERSTAR and the Sylvania SILVERSTAR.

I read your article several years ago and ever since have been using the OSRAM Silverstars. A DEFINITE improvement with not much notice loss of life (I'm still going strong on my second bulb in 40,000 miles).

I have since read in several other lighting reports that they are indeed way better than the Sylvania Silverstars that are readily available in car part stores.

One of the few places in the US that carries the Osram Silverstars is:

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/OSR/144737.html

It depends on the reflector and if the HID light source is in the same spot as the halogen it replaces. For me, HID works great on one bike, not so much in the Toyota.

The DDM HID in my K1200RS has the same pattern as the halogen with no glare outside of the cutoff lines, as judged by the light on the garage wall.
FWIW, I've ordered the Osrams from Powerbulbs to try in the Toyota, still getting conflicting reports re the Toyota projectors and HID's.

Back