• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Crankshaft moved forward

SUNRIDER711

Georgia
I was trying to put in a clutch on a 1980 R100RT, the crankshaft moved forward.
Is there any hope for this machine?

Flywheel was off,,,, didn't block the crank.
I previously replaced the clutch on my 1979 R100RT twice with no problem.

Good thing you noticed and didn't just try to bolt it back up and cinch it down!!!

It may seem like a lot of extra trouble at this point but it could be much MUCH worse! I've also done a clutch without blocking the crank - must have been fifteen years ago before I got smart. Was lucky that time like you were the other the fast two.

Youi may not be in trouble. The thrust washers on either side of the crankcase usually resist falling out of position. Carefully push the crank back, then put the flywheel on. If it seats, you're probably OK. If not, you'll have to pull the right cylinder and "fish" the washer back into place.

The easiest fix is to pull the right cylinder off which is closest to the thrust washer and try and work it back on.

Perhaps a dumb question; but......why did you have the flywheel off to just work on the clutch?......Good luck......God bless...Dennis

Back