• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest?

Decided to purchase the Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest? I own a Rally 3 suit. Wearing LDComfort under garment, Gore-tex liner ziped into the suit and test wearing the Gerbing jacket liner, I felt a little confined in the sleeves because of the layering. I know keeping the core warm is a goal. Do those of you that own heated gear swear by the jacket or is the vest sufficient?
John

Started with the vest....bought the jacket and wear it exclusively. But I ride in Montana, Alaska, and other chilly areas in between. Think about how your own body reacts to cold ( or not) and decide what works for you.
Aptos, CA , if I remember correctly, can get downright raw in the winter, so it is a wetter cold. Do you need practice being miserable?

That's one of the problems I have with the waterproofing being in a layer instead of the jacket itself. I had a Rallye 2 until I became too small for it & have a Darien now. With the Darien, I wear an LD comfort, a Powerlet heated full liner & the Darien. Works great. If I had to wear a waterproof/windproof liner as well, I would go vest, like you said, too much to wear otherwise.

I love the full heat with sleeves, but would not want to wear it inside a jacket with a liner like the Rallye.

I prefer the jacket liner. Not only for warm arms, the liner has the built in wiring for the gloves.

+1 here. I plug the gloves into the jacket attachment and it works great with the dual temp controller I had installed in the fairing on the bike.

Whether or not you want electric gloves, the jacket is generally preferable for warmth.
Keeping the arms warm contributes a great deal to keeping hands warm and BMWs heaed grips cover much of these rest, especially if you also have the GS type handguards or Barkbusters or anything else that blocks direct wind on hands (like Hippo Hands and similar).
I only go for my electric gloves when temps get into the 20s...

I use one of my electric jackets under a RevIt Scirocco jacket that has a rain liner that I leave in as a windblock. The trick is to buy your jackets large enough for proper layering if you intend to ride in the cold. If it only gets to the mid 49s where you live, it matter a lot less but when temps head for freezing or less you will need the windblock layer, electric jacket or not....

Thanks for the input. All of you. It is what I like about the forum. A chance to hear from people that have been where you want to go already.

Definitely the liner. My Widder vest, which works beautifully, sits in the closet ever since I purchased a jacket liner.

Full liner for me too. I had a BMW vest originally and the liner keeps me much warmer. I know what you mean about it feeling like a lot of material because I was wearing it under my Santiago suit. MY liner is too big on me now though so I may switch to Warmnsafe. Theirs seems a little less bulky.

Full liner for me too. I had a BMW vest originally and the liner keeps me much warmer. I know what you mean about it feeling like a lot of material because I was wearing it under my Santiago suit. MY liner is too big on me now though so I may switch to Warmnsafe. Theirs seems a little less bulky.

Check out Powerlet as well. They are the latest out there. I'm really happy with mine.

I prefer the jacket liner. Not only for warm arms, the liner has the built in wiring for the gloves.

+2.

I'll say that it must have to get pretty cold before I wear it again b/c this RT I have now blocks so much wind. It was 41 when I left the house and I was wearing a Rev'it tornado (summer mesh) jacket and the thermal rain liner and was fine. I had the seat on heat level 2 and grips on 1.

Just went through the process. I have a Rally III and do not wear the liner that comes with it. I only were the Gerbings jacket liner with a light short sleeve nylon/rayon T-shirt. Thats all you ever need.

Too hot with electric off--remove liner.

Too hot with no liner---open vents.

Still to hot---remove Rally Sleeves.

Still too hot---remove Rally Vest.

You are now down to a T-shirt.

Still to hot, call it a day. Get six pac of Hinekins/Coors ETC and check into a hotel withh A/C.

See all your options and how easy that is.

If your Gerbings jacket and Rally III Suit is not warm enough and it is that cold, your bike won't start anyway.

Life is simple!

Jack

Just went through the process. I have a Rally III and do not wear the liner that comes with it. I only were the Gerbings jacket liner with a light short sleeve nylon/rayon T-shirt. Thats all you ever need.

Still to hot, call it a day. Get six pac of Hinekins/Coors ETC and check into a hotel withh A/C.

If your Gerbings jacket and Rally III Suit is not warm enough and it is that cold, your bike won't start anyway.

Life is simple!

Jack

Ok, got it!
Too hot, drink beer.
Too cold, bike won't start, stay home, drink beer.
(LOL)
Thank you,
John

Liner here & you gotta have a controller or you'll burn up!

I heard that without the controller you are 100% on. I figured the controller was a must to moderate the heat. Even though I am only looking at the Jacket Liner for now, I figured to install the duel controller just in case I decide to add on in the future.
Thank you
John

Gerbings jacket liner

Life is simple!

Jack

The same is true with my BMW mesh jacket which did not come with a liner. I just wear my Gerbings heated liner and then follow the steps above. (our mommies taught us how to dress!!!) :laugh

I heard that without the controller you are 100% on. I figured the controller was a must to moderate the heat. Even though I am only looking at the Jacket Liner for now, I figured to install the duel controller just in case I decide to add on in the future.
Thank you
John

Wireless dual controller is the way to go!

Back