• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200RT Tupperwear (Fairing) Polish

b25bsaboy

Good afternoon,

Been looking for some reference to what the mass of HexHead/CamHeads use for polishing the fairings on the R1200RT. I have always used Dry Wash and Guard, but cannot find as they seem to have disappeared from the market place.

Some favorites include
1) Plexus
2) Honda polish
3) Lemon Pledge
etc
etc
Some even use car detailers of which there are many that differ only a little from each other.

Have used Lemmon Pledge on cars
, airplanes and motorcycles for years.

Works great on airplane windshields
and motorcycle windsheilds also.

Plexas and Mcguires detailer works well
also. Plexas was $14.95 one year ago
and now $21.95. I refuse to use it any
longer.

Jack

Start with a couple of good coats of wax for a base. After that a wet (water), soft cloth will take off any grime after a ride without scratching the paint. Dry with a soft terrycloth towel. To get the bugs and crap off a windshield without scratching it, just soak down a big towel and throw it on the windshield for 10 minutes and let it sit. For those really nasty bugs, grease, etc...Honda polish. When nothing else works on the chrome, wheels, etc, then drag out the Mother's metal polish.

I have lots of special stuff but my short answer:
1 - For a quickie cleanup I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.
2 - For detailed cleaning and waxing I use the Meguaire's wax and spray detailers.

I use Novus or Plexus on the windshield. Sometimes I use the Honda cleaner on the windshield.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Last edited:
I have lots of special stuff but my short answer:
1 - For a quickie cleanup I use Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.
2 - For detailed cleaning and waxing I use the Meguaire's wax and spray detailers.

I use Nova or Plexus on the windshield. Sometimes I use the Honda cleaner on the windshield.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

^^^ +2. I also use a waterless cleaner/polisher with a microfiber towel b/4 I put my bike up for the winter. Just did that yesterday as a matter of fact...

GL/BB

Lemon Pledge for a quick, inexpensive cleanup.

You can use normal car wax as well.

Hay Brad,

Funny you should mention Lemon Pledge furniture polish. I was riding my Triumph 1200 Trophy with a group from the Rat Raid in the East Kootenay's when one of the guys pulls out this can and cleaned his windshield. Call me a simpleton, but I was amazed how well it cleaned and when I told my wife to get me a can, she really thought I was totally daft. :rolleyes
Don't leave home without my Lemon Pledge whenever I go for a ride!
Thanks for the reminder.......

I'd read that the Honda cleaner / polish was good stuff, and tried some on one of my cars, but couldn't get the swirl marks out. I don't have a polisher. I wonder if I am doing something wrong, or is it just that red paint is harder to clean?

Red paint oxidizes worse than any other color and putting anything on a old red that hasn't been polished smooth first might be a cause. Or maybe it was too hot. What shape is the finish??

... maybe it was too hot. What shape is the finish??

The finish is good. It's a low mileage, 16 year old Porsche that has always been garaged, so I don't think there's oxidation. The colour is actually Arena Red, which is more like a burgundy, and I've read that it's a difficult colour to work with. The temperature was cool when I worked on it.

I've considered getting a power polisher, but I'm worried about burning the paint.

What do you mean by "polished smooth first"?

Last edited:
Rinty,
I have never used the Honda cleaner & polish for anything other than basic cleaning (which I hate doing without a proper bike wash) and giving the bike a light coating of polish/wax. For example it's really good to use while on the road where you might not have access to soap and water.

If your car paint is damaged I think you need to use some special products to get it back into condition. After you've done that you can go back to quick & dirty (no pun intended) methods of cleaning your car, bike, train, etc.

HTH,
tsp
My blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Call Meguire's customer service and tell them what you have and what you want to accomplish and you will get the best advice possible. I have their Dual Action Polisher with various pads and it makes it easy work. Some products are very difficult to work with(swirl-smudge) if there is high humidity. You cannot burn paint with this tool as it does not attain extreme r.p.m. like a wheel used in a body shop. On the 2009 RT I use Honda Plastic Polish (the press cap bottle that comes in a box, not the spray can) after washing I apply with a terry applicator and buff off with a cotton towel stolen from a motel(they work the best). If I'm being very anal and have nothing else to do, I will follow with an application of spray clean/polish, which really brings out the finish.

Back