• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HELP! 07-F650GS Oil Issue

mwcarrera

20Fingers
YES, I have searched every forum I can find, nothing comes up with this specific issue...so HELP!!:bow

This is an F650GS with 35K on the clock and well maintained but ridden like it should be, hard!

Main Issue: Overfilled oil by 500ml, (half-Quart or so) ran about 100 miles before she began to fail; Symptoms are-stalling, needing 1/2 throttle to start (was a very easy starter before), tons of oil in air-box, crank case breather tube spurts oil, not a mist or vapor, wet ugly oil, when engine turns over before it catches and at shut down. When shutting down, the breather hose makes a wheezing sounds as the air pressure fades and oil stops. Does not happen any other time, only when engine is turning over or running, however, when running the breather tube expels only a fine vapor, nothing wet.:sick

Immediate corrective actions: changed out oil and filter, DOUBLE checking the quantity going back in. Checked plugs=100% good, new. Air-box cleaned and filter replaced, cleaned up oozing oil spillage. RESET the BMS-K using standard method: battery disconnect, BMS-K disconnect for 30+ minutes, reconnect BMS-K, reconnect battery, turned on key and rotated throttle twice to full open and back-slowly, turned OFF key, then back on and started bike, let warm till fan came on, shut off...now, starting problem 50% fixed, starts fine when warm, needs some throttle when cold.

Problem(s) Now; The bike is losing oil! Oil is blowing through the crack-case vent tube (I re-routed the vent hose to bash-plate so the air-box stays dry till I figure this out). Bike is Loosing about 500ML in 100miles or so, not exact and depends on speed or starting. WHEN engine turns over, oil spurts out hose NOT mist, this is a WET oil spray, when engine catches, it changes to what I figure is the normal vapor. Another note, when engine turns over before starting a light colored vapor comes out of the tube with the oil and smells slightly burnt!~ NOTHING and I mean NOTHING from the tail pipe ever! No blue smoke, nothing during warm up but vapor from temperature differences between hot exhaust and ambient temp. This is not a case of burned rings or bad top end.

I will repeat the symptom for those still thinking this might be a piston-ring issues...

Oil, sprays out of crank-case vent tube when engine is turning over before catching and if it stalls, or when shut down, along with the oil spray, I am loosing volume in the oil tank at about 500ML per 100 miles (about). A slightly bluish vapor escapes with the oil from the tube, enough to hang in the air, smells slightly burn and NOTHING coming from the tail pipe, meaning bike runs good at speed and smoke free at idle or revving engine.

If anyone has experience with overfilling their F650's with oil and experiencing a continuous loss of oil through the crack-case breather tube, please please let me know what you have found!

There can surely be oil left in places where it shouldn't be and the engine is purging itself of that.

You didn't mention whether you're having to add oil now.

Look in the airbox, deep down behind the airfilter. Oil collects there under normal circumstances and will do so rapidly if the bike is overfilled. Should not cause any long term problems.

I normally find a bit of oil in the airbox of Annie's 07 F650GS during every oil change. I paper towels attached to a long set of forceps to get it out.

Look on the ChainGang site for more info. (www.f650,com)

Edit: Just reread your post and you indicate you did clean the airbox. If you got all the way down to the bottom, then my guess is your issues will clear-up with time.

Adding Oil

Yes, I am adding oil to keep it at the right level....no, f650.com does not have any help on this specific situation:

continual oil purge from the cracnk-case breather tube, resulting in oil loss in the tank, not the normal collection in the airbox, talking 1/2 quart per 100 miles or more.

Thanks for the response, still looking for answers!

A Final Word of Warning

Frustrated, I called Rotax in Germany, after a few redirects of my call, I was put in touch with Mr. Wizard of Rotax (cannot use his real name)...insight to my issues is worth $500 in diagnostics paid out to two different dealerships trying to figure out what could have been solved on a single email to Rotax!

Oil leaking through crack case into alternator side and out through the breather tube; IN quantities more than a few tablespoons over several 1000's of miles! Meaning, one is having to ADD oil to maintain level, an oil leak.

Only ONE or two of these three issues, EVER, according to Rotax engineer Mr Wizard:
1) an overfill, which would eventually purge out as long as no more oil was added and correct oil checking procedure was used and oil level is correct. This was double checked in my case by myself, dumping the oil and refilling it with the exact amount...then running the bike for about 20 miles, getting it hot, rechecking level, etc.
2) Excessive blow-by caused by warn rings, low compression etc. Smoking tail pipe and crappy performance as well as a compression check are key in this diagnostic.
3) Counter Balance shaft seal failure which allows oil to flow from crank case side (center) to the alternator side (right) and out through the crankcase vent tube. A bike needing oil in the amounts I described which are about 1/2-2/3 quart per 50-75 miles is the key to the shaft seal failure and most likely the situation in my motor.

NO OTHER engine issues would cause this problem....and, the fact that Mr Wizard and Rotax did not charge me nearly $100 per hour for diagnostics, I think his words of wisdom are reliable...too bad it took me $500 to work with dealers in the USA which gave me nothing at all!:bolt

Back