• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Data Query: R1150 Owners - Throttle Body Bing Part Number Data...

jfriedman149

For R1150 series owners only:

On the bottom "spline" of the throttle body casting is a Bing part number that should start 75/45/???. The third number group should be in the low 100-110's. If you're really bored in the next while (days or so), please let me know...

MODEL YEAR
TYPE {GS, RS, RT, R }
Left Side Number Sequence (Pretty sure these are odd numbers)
Right Side Number Sequence (Pretty sure these are even numbers)

I've got a truly whacked-out idea or three, but I'm lacking field data to make a judgement call. Don't ask really why, its one of those "if you could" sort of things... ;)

Thanks! :D

2003 (built June, '02)
R1150R
109 and 110
So far it looks like the R, RS and RT have the same throttle bodies, at least in '02.

Paul,

Thanks for the data!

I think you're correct - and I'll extrapolate that all the 1150 single sparks are the same. The one thing I don't really know yet is whether or not the Dual Sparks are the same as well.

Bing lists 8 distinct "sets" of throttle body rebuild kits, but it seems that there are only 4 actual different internal part sets - essentially different plate shafts. I'm trying to see if there are substantively different throttle pulleys, different ramp/pull profiles, different injector bore diameter / included angle, etc. I know for the pre-98 (97?) bikes, the pulley setups are different due to the single throttle cable design.

It is the injector bore data that is of most interest to me for the specific "project" I have in mind... ;)

GSAddict - Thanks! (Don't know how I managed to miss that table in my surfing about... :doh)
sarelp - Thanks for the Data!

I've often wondered if there was a way to modify R1100 throttle bodies to accept newer generation fuel injectors - for both better atomization of E10 fuels and to get cheaper, easier to replace injectors (shy of taking R1150 throttle bodies and retrofitting them onto R1100 bikes)... ;)

GSAddict - Thanks! (Don't know how I managed to miss that table in my surfing about... :doh)
sarelp - Thanks for the Data!

I've often wondered if there was a way to modify R1100 throttle bodies to accept newer generation fuel injectors - for both better atomization of E10 fuels and to get cheaper, easier to replace injectors (shy of taking R1150 throttle bodies and retrofitting them onto R1100 bikes)... ;)
I think all it would need is a second O ring or machined collar at the throttle body, and maybe 1150 fuel distributor?
I just tried it for you. You would need longer M5 mounting bolts off the 1150 as well.
See attached pictures.
According to Bing the only difference between the 2 bodies is the injector hole machining.
Looks very doable!! Does not sound whacked out at all!
Let me know if you try it.:ear

IMGP0999_resize.jpg

IMGP0998_resize.jpg

IMGP0997_resize.jpg

IMGP1001_resize.jpg

There are several approaches to this "problem". The one currently under development involves making modifications to the injector bore of the stock 1100 throttle bodies. The critical issues are alignment of the drill and stop depth to avoid an overdrill into the actual intake tract. Secondary issues are injector support/backfire retention and injector to fuel distributor connection.

The "easy" answer is to just retrofit 1150 throttle bodies and fuel distributor, but that's an expensive solution if you use new parts. I've found a shop that will machine true pre-production parts for me at a reasonable cost. All that remains is to find a company to custom-make a drill/reamer to modify the injector bore.

Why bother? Becasue I'm bored, and its an interesting problem to solve... :laugh

There are several approaches to this "problem". The one currently under development involves making modifications to the injector bore of the stock 1100 throttle bodies. The critical issues are alignment of the drill and stop depth to avoid an overdrill into the actual intake tract. Secondary issues are injector support/backfire retention and injector to fuel distributor connection.

The "easy" answer is to just retrofit 1150 throttle bodies and fuel distributor, but that's an expensive solution if you use new parts. I've found a shop that will machine true pre-production parts for me at a reasonable cost. All that remains is to find a company to custom-make a drill/reamer to modify the injector bore.

Why bother? Becasue I'm bored, and its an interesting problem to solve... :laugh
On the 1100 TB I was playing with machining the body would not gain much, A sleeve would need to be machined to adapt the 1150 injector. The 1150 fuel distributor positions the injector fore/aft and it is too loose where it enters the throttle body.

On the 1100 TB I was playing with machining the body would not gain much, A sleeve would need to be machined to adapt the 1150 injector. The 1150 fuel distributor positions the injector fore/aft and it is too loose where it enters the throttle body.

I'm looking at using non-Bosch/BMW injectors, and replicating the depth of nozzle for the injector eliminates yet another variable in the fuel use equation. Ultimately, I hope to be able to develop this into a flex-fuel kit, complete with a new generation of ECU (Think MegaSquirt)...:dunno

I'm looking at using non-Bosch/BMW injectors, and replicating the depth of nozzle for the injector eliminates yet another variable in the fuel use equation. Ultimately, I hope to be able to develop this into a flex-fuel kit, complete with a new generation of ECU (Think MegaSquirt)...:dunno

Ah, ok this is where I'll step off.
Be interesting to try with the BMW 1150 ones though...It would be reasonably easy

Ah, ok this is where I'll step off.
Be interesting to try with the BMW 1150 ones though...It would be reasonably easy

There are "off the shelf" fuel injector extenders that would accomodate the stock 1150 injectors, but I have concerns about extending the spray nozzle that far from the intake tract - essentially reducing atomization and creating droplet/stream fueling issues due to spray condensation/collection. Besides, the injectors I've selected are MUCH less than the factory 1150 injectors, and their available from just about any auto parts store.

The essential criteria for the "Phase I" kit is to provide better injector function, lower replacement cost, and to serve as a platform base for the "Phase II" kit.

:bikes

Back