Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Data Query: R1150 Owners - Throttle Body Bing Part Number Data...

  1. #1
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50

    Lightbulb Data Query: R1150 Owners - Throttle Body Bing Part Number Data...

    For R1150 series owners only:

    On the bottom "spline" of the throttle body casting is a Bing part number that should start 75/45/???. The third number group should be in the low 100-110's. If you're really bored in the next while (days or so), please let me know...

    MODEL YEAR
    TYPE {GS, RS, RT, R }
    Left Side Number Sequence (Pretty sure these are odd numbers)
    Right Side Number Sequence (Pretty sure these are even numbers)

    I've got a truly whacked-out idea or three, but I'm lacking field data to make a judgement call. Don't ask really why, its one of those "if you could" sort of things...

    Thanks!
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  2. #2
    Registered User twinsig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Heart Of Dixie!
    Posts
    94
    2002 rt
    109/110
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

  3. #3
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the reply twinsig!
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  4. #4
    Registered User devauxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western NYS
    Posts
    56
    2002 r1150rs
    109l
    110r
    Bruno
    2002 R1150RS (Pacific Blue)

  5. #5
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the reply devauxb
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  6. #6
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,940
    2003 (built June, '02)
    R1150R
    109 and 110
    So far it looks like the R, RS and RT have the same throttle bodies, at least in '02.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  7. #7
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50

    Lightbulb

    Paul,

    Thanks for the data!

    I think you're correct - and I'll extrapolate that all the 1150 single sparks are the same. The one thing I don't really know yet is whether or not the Dual Sparks are the same as well.

    Bing lists 8 distinct "sets" of throttle body rebuild kits, but it seems that there are only 4 actual different internal part sets - essentially different plate shafts. I'm trying to see if there are substantively different throttle pulleys, different ramp/pull profiles, different injector bore diameter / included angle, etc. I know for the pre-98 (97?) bikes, the pulley setups are different due to the single throttle cable design.

    It is the injector bore data that is of most interest to me for the specific "project" I have in mind...
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  8. #8
    Registered User sarelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jasper, IN
    Posts
    35
    2001 1150GS
    LH 109
    RH 110

    2004 1150gs dual spark
    LH 109
    RH 110

  9. #9
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,367
    This should be of help.
    http://largiader.com/tech/tb/
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  10. #10
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50

    Talking

    GSAddict - Thanks! (Don't know how I managed to miss that table in my surfing about... )
    sarelp - Thanks for the Data!



    I've often wondered if there was a way to modify R1100 throttle bodies to accept newer generation fuel injectors - for both better atomization of E10 fuels and to get cheaper, easier to replace injectors (shy of taking R1150 throttle bodies and retrofitting them onto R1100 bikes)...
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  11. #11
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
    GSAddict - Thanks! (Don't know how I managed to miss that table in my surfing about... )
    sarelp - Thanks for the Data!



    I've often wondered if there was a way to modify R1100 throttle bodies to accept newer generation fuel injectors - for both better atomization of E10 fuels and to get cheaper, easier to replace injectors (shy of taking R1150 throttle bodies and retrofitting them onto R1100 bikes)...
    I think all it would need is a second O ring or machined collar at the throttle body, and maybe 1150 fuel distributor?
    I just tried it for you. You would need longer M5 mounting bolts off the 1150 as well.
    See attached pictures.
    According to Bing the only difference between the 2 bodies is the injector hole machining.
    Looks very doable!! Does not sound whacked out at all!
    Let me know if you try it.




    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  12. #12
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50

    Lightbulb

    There are several approaches to this "problem". The one currently under development involves making modifications to the injector bore of the stock 1100 throttle bodies. The critical issues are alignment of the drill and stop depth to avoid an overdrill into the actual intake tract. Secondary issues are injector support/backfire retention and injector to fuel distributor connection.

    The "easy" answer is to just retrofit 1150 throttle bodies and fuel distributor, but that's an expensive solution if you use new parts. I've found a shop that will machine true pre-production parts for me at a reasonable cost. All that remains is to find a company to custom-make a drill/reamer to modify the injector bore.

    Why bother? Becasue I'm bored, and its an interesting problem to solve...
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  13. #13
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
    There are several approaches to this "problem". The one currently under development involves making modifications to the injector bore of the stock 1100 throttle bodies. The critical issues are alignment of the drill and stop depth to avoid an overdrill into the actual intake tract. Secondary issues are injector support/backfire retention and injector to fuel distributor connection.

    The "easy" answer is to just retrofit 1150 throttle bodies and fuel distributor, but that's an expensive solution if you use new parts. I've found a shop that will machine true pre-production parts for me at a reasonable cost. All that remains is to find a company to custom-make a drill/reamer to modify the injector bore.

    Why bother? Becasue I'm bored, and its an interesting problem to solve...
    On the 1100 TB I was playing with machining the body would not gain much, A sleeve would need to be machined to adapt the 1150 injector. The 1150 fuel distributor positions the injector fore/aft and it is too loose where it enters the throttle body.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

  14. #14
    Registered User JoshuaTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    On the 1100 TB I was playing with machining the body would not gain much, A sleeve would need to be machined to adapt the 1150 injector. The 1150 fuel distributor positions the injector fore/aft and it is too loose where it enters the throttle body.
    I'm looking at using non-Bosch/BMW injectors, and replicating the depth of nozzle for the injector eliminates yet another variable in the fuel use equation. Ultimately, I hope to be able to develop this into a flex-fuel kit, complete with a new generation of ECU (Think MegaSquirt)...
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

  15. #15
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
    I'm looking at using non-Bosch/BMW injectors, and replicating the depth of nozzle for the injector eliminates yet another variable in the fuel use equation. Ultimately, I hope to be able to develop this into a flex-fuel kit, complete with a new generation of ECU (Think MegaSquirt)...
    Ah, ok this is where I'll step off.
    Be interesting to try with the BMW 1150 ones though...It would be reasonably easy
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    It's all about the details.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •