• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter Storage Cover

dodge1chevy2

I read a short article about a moisture-proof winter storage cover in a recent issue of the Owners News. Can't seem to track down the vendor. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
rickt

Are you looking for a cover for outdoor parking, as in rain, sleet, wind and snow? I see you're from MN so that's a tall order and a simple cover might not do it. There is a device whose name I can't remember where you ride the bike onto its floor and pull a self-supporting tent up and over. Looks kinda like a connestoga wagon. It seals the bike in because its floor is attached to the sides. Locks, too. Anyfody know what it's called?

Of course, if you just want a winter cover to use in your garage, that's a bit easier. I just use an old, flannel bedsheet.

pete

I use my Dowco cover in the driveway until gets pretty cold & in early spring until bike goes inside. It isn't bothered by a load of snow as they are heavy canvas. The issue for me is that the mice & chipmunks get under there if covered too long in one place. Had a house wrens nest this summer in the empty space in front of the battery.

I use my Dowco cover in the driveway until gets pretty cold & in early spring until bike goes inside. It isn't bothered by a load of snow as they are heavy canvas. The issue for me is that the mice & chipmunks get under there if covered too long in one place. Had a house wrens nest this summer in the empty space in front of the battery.

Mothballs.

There's a long thread on ADV now about mice/rats in vehicles. Mothballs say some, others say they still come. Where do you place the mothballs on your bike? Do they bother seat vinyl for example?
One of my storage issues is mud daubers! Seems they head for every 3/16"-3/8" dia hole on a machine! I have to remember to check all my 2 cycle mufflers & so on every so often!!! On our cars (back in the woods) the chipmunks eat acorns on top the plastic engine covers(why do we need them anyway?) but never eat the wires.

On our cars (back in the woods) the chipmunks eat acorns on top the plastic engine covers(why do we need them anyway?) but never eat the wires.

Acorns, if available, taste better than polyethylene.

As for covers, breathibility is important. Am impermeable cover traps moisture under the cover.

As for the mothballs, I've never known them to fail, but I've never seen a real chipmunk, either. I have seen squirrels eat entire wiring harnesses, store nuts, and then avoid an area because of the mothballs.
On motorcycles, we usually hang a plastic mesh bag, like one finds at a grocery store produce aisle, filled with the balls, from a foot peg.

NO Chipmunks?

Where do you live! Them critters are about everywhere. My Squirrels have had their hayday with my wifes car starter cable and now my Mini Dacshunds(spelling?) have at them regulary, a favorite snack of theirs:). Raw squirrel, hmmmm. Actually, these dogs have been bred to do this, so its in their bloodlines. MY Cat does the garage shopping for critters and equally successful keeping my bikes safe:). CAT, a bikes best friend, if garage kept and not too cold for the Cat. I keep my Cat happy with heated Cat House in there:). WHO needs a cover? Randy. PS; Country living has its critters. :eat

Where do you live! Them critters are about everywhere. My Squirrels have had their hayday with my wifes car starter cable and now my Mini Dacshunds(spelling?) have at them regulary, a favorite snack of theirs:). Raw squirrel, hmmmm. Actually, these dogs have been bred to do this, so its in their bloodlines. MY Cat does the garage shopping for critters and equally successful keeping my bikes safe:). CAT, a bikes best friend, if garage kept and not too cold for the Cat. I keep my Cat happy with heated Cat House in there:). WHO needs a cover? Randy. PS; Country living has its critters. :eat

Oklahoma has no chipmunks, but we gots plenty of polecats!!

Back