• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coast Guard HMS Bounty Rescue

Watched that on the news, Tom. Nobody does it like the Coast Guard! Really impressive operation. Now, can anyone tell me why the Bounty was out there in harm's way in the first place?

I remember in the movie Mutiny on the Bounty that there was turbulence indicating propwash behind the boat.

I hope it gets rebuilt, but I fear if the movie is remade they will just make a digital model and use computer graphics.

They didn't sail until last Thursday the 25th. Why would you sail into a hurricane when you are safely in port?

Last edited:
I'm an ex Coast Guard 41 footer captain (Coxswain to those in the know). Spent 3 years in the Florida Keys conducting Search and Rescue and drug interdiction ops. Matter of fact here is an old pic of me (circa 1982) bringing in a drug boat we caught.

I have read the entire story regarding the Bounty's ill-faited journey and the Captains reasoning for leaving port. Personallly I find it full of crap. The "safer at sea than at port" excuse is weak at best. What matters the most is the safety of your crew. He put them in harms way in an attempt to save what is basically a piece of equipment. I went through a few hurricanes myself and saw plenty of vessels that withstood the fury due to logical mooring of said vessel. Much can be accomplished when lines are strategically secured.

So instead, he put the lives of the his crew and those of the rescue team at risk because of his poor decision. As always, hats off to the CG crew, who I'm certain would say "we are just doing our job"

CG.jpg

Back