• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

77 R100Rs vin # help needed

2slow

any body who has a 77 rs I need to know where is your vin #is located on the bike and how many #'s is it I called a very big dealership in Calf asking if the could track the vin # to see if it was involved with a safety recall they told me I didn't have enough #'s in my vin # they said I should have a 17 didget # on the rail under the right carb I have nothing there my # is a 7 didget # starting with 618 that is stamped into the rail up up by the headstock on the right side also the riveted plate on the headstock has the same # as does the engine so does a 77 rs have a 17 didget # or a 7 didget # thanks for any help

Last edited:
Yes, the VIN is a seven digit number on riveted plate by steering headstock. My R80/7 ('78) VIN starts with 612. The number is on the title also.

Engine number matches the frame number. '77 RS's for the US market all start with 618 and are 7 digits only.

thats what I thought the service guy said they had a 77 at the dealer ship with a 17 digit # I asked what did it begin with and his reply was "well I haven't looked at it but I know it's a 17 digit #" :dunno

For a little historical perspective, the 17 character V.I.N. became standard beginning with the 1981 model year.

Denny Pink

R 100 rs

I have a 1977 RS starting with 618 and has just 7 digits.

Also my bike has a CFO letters close to numbers. Anyone knows what does it mean?

Thanks in advanced

Type your VIN into realoem.com

You can probably also contact Tom Cutter who would likely know if there were any recalls for any '77s.

And yes, these regulations refer to production year and not "model year," the latter being virtually meaningless. For example, until I got rid of one of them I had two 2007 vehicles from same manufacturer one with and one without tire pressure monitoring. The one without was built in 2006.

For a little historical perspective, the 17 character V.I.N. became standard beginning with the 1981 model year. Denny Pink
I thought it was '83 or '84. But yes, before the early '80's there was no standardization for VIN numbers.

And you need to be old enough to know that -:)

Built in '80 I'll bet!!

I looked it up and they made this one in March 1981. :laugh So, six months into GS production.

I've been watching some cool videos on the history of the GS made for the 30th anniversary and getting an education. I never knew about the secret prototypes and the scramblers they had previously. Quite the story!

Back