• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1998 R1100R need repair manual

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I can't find a discussion on the relative merits of the repair manuals for my "new" bike. I have a /2 and the Clymer for them was really bad! I see a manual-on-disk is listed at MAX BMW site and there seems to be both Clymer and Haynes. I checked out the Authority site but no luck and have down-loaded some .pdf files on the motronic and balancing the FI. What is best? Anyone got a manual left from when they sold their old oil head to sell?

I prefer the Haynes manuals for most bikes. I have both Clymer and Haynes for the basic Airheads and Classic K bikes. I have the factory hard copy for the R1100RS/GS and the Haynes for the R1100 series. I have factory CDs for a few models and Haynes for our F series bikes.

If you are experienced and want sequences and specifications and torque values the factory manuals are good. But they assume you are trained on that model so don't have a lot of photos and explanation. Haynes and Clymer don't make that assumption so have more explanatory material.

My preference is to have at least two sources for a bike so if one is unclear or something seems odd I can check it with the other.

You can buy both a Haynes and a Clymer and have them paid for by the first shop hour of labor you don't get charged for.

Thanks Paul follow up question.

Good reasoning on owning both manuals at least. On the /2 I have four manuals and I use each for different information. Betjemann's is over $100 and worth every penny. I find Haynes and Chilton's car repair manuals poor with lots of suggestions that I should take it to someone for service as I won't have the special tools. I hate that! If you were to buy one of the two would it be Haynes or Clymer? As you have the Haynes for the bike I am interested in does it lack important information or specifications or procedures?
Ralph

I checked out the Authority site but no luck and have down-loaded some .pdf files on the motronic and balancing the FI. What is best? Anyone got a manual left from when they sold their old oil head to sell?

The BMW Police Motors web site bmwmc.net has the 1100 Repair Manual.

Good reasoning on owning both manuals at least. On the /2 I have four manuals and I use each for different information. Betjemann's is over $100 and worth every penny. I find Haynes and Chilton's car repair manuals poor with lots of suggestions that I should take it to someone for service as I won't have the special tools. I hate that! If you were to buy one of the two would it be Haynes or Clymer? As you have the Haynes for the bike I am interested in does it lack important information or specifications or procedures?
Ralph

If I had to own just one it would be the Haynes. There are a few "take it to a dealer" statements but not too many. Since you have the factory manual it will cover those items that Haynes skips. Some of the omissions are silly in my opinion, and some actually make sense unless you are very experienced and have access to special fixtures and tools.

Back