• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TPS Question

R1100RS

my Throttle Position Sensor setting seems to creep up from where I set it after a couple hundred miles or so.

could it be that the TBs / butterflies are getting cleaner after a long trip?

any other suggestions / comments?

Your tires get warmer and the air pressure rises due to the added heat. No problem, its normal operation. Ride Safe

my Throttle Position Sensor setting seems to creep up from where I set it after a couple hundred miles or so.

could it be that the TBs / butterflies are getting cleaner after a long trip?

any other suggestions / comments?

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying your bike idles faster?

The TPS simply converts the throttle plate angle into a voltage by way of a variable resistor. It doesn't care if the throttle bodies are clean, dirty, or clogged. It is simply potentiometers inside a plastic case hooked to the end of the throttle shaft.

I have never noticed any voltage creep but I have never checked because I consider the TPS a set-it-and-forget-it device. I might recheck in 100,000 miles or so,

Two factors might be causing what you have discovered. It is possible the resistance, and hence the voltage, is varying with temperature. It is also possible that there is a spot on the resister coil right at the idle position that is dirty and which changes resistance with temperature.

Back