• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not another Oil thread....really (Camguard)

• Thread starter cessnadog@gmail.com
  • Start date
If I was worried at all about condensate issues (I'm not), I'd fog the cylinder we like used to with 2 stroke outboards for the winter. Hurts nothing, simple, cheap.

Well, for one thing, aircraft engines (reciprocating) are mostly all 1940s designs.

Are detergent motor oils allowed yet?

Are they now affixing decals to the effect the igntion system can kill you?

Yup the recips are old designs even requiring lead in the gas. Detergent aviation oils have been available for decades. That's why the recommendation to use straight mineral oil for break in. They have had synthetic oils as well, very very pricey.

No warning about the ignition danger. Frankly since that big spinny thing in front, or to the sides or even in the back is more likely to get you I doubt a warning label is really much of a need. I've been "bitten" by a distributor but never by a mag.

Years ago I had a job helping a aircraft mechanic. Mostly doing all the work while he drank beer. Lots of beer. One engine that was overhauled had chrome cylinder bores.

I remembered we filled it with 40 wt non detergent, tied it down good, fired it up and went to full throttle after less than a minute at idle. It sat there at full power for about 30 minutes before we shut it down. He swore the rings would never break in any other way. Impressive noise, no muffler and the prop alone was loud.

I think the dust we stirred up in his hanger had something to do with break in too. The engine had no air filter, only a screen and a valve to draw in air over an hot exhaust pipe when at altitude to prevent carb looking alternator and starter, but at 20 times the cost.

AFAIK, the engine was fine, I used to see the plane flying around once and a while. I do not remember what kind of engine. I do remember dual magneto ignition and some sort of really primitive carb. Really more of a fuel sprayer. It required the pilot to tune the fuel for the correct mixture, it was a really crude thing. Lawnmowers have better carburetors.

Rod

Rod, lawnmowers don't deal with a spread of altitude that may run from sea level to 12,000 feet either. Adjusting the mixture allows for peak performance and to avoid fouling plugs. If the mixture were not adjusted it would get progressively richer the higher you went. Mixture control also allows you to use fuel to help cool the engine under full power applications like take off.

Carbs ain't complicated and they just have one job, help mix fuel and air for the engine. Some of the injection systems in use on aircraft recips aren't really any more complicated and also have mixture controls. They just move the fuel spray from a central location to just in front of the intake valve and they are constantly spraying.

engine failure

or premature engine failure due to the wrong oil.

pretty sure i never heard of one.

can you cite a documented example?
thx,
ed

Well, this isn't documented but a few years ago while running in a national car racing series with a spec motor, the engine builder who did all the motors for the series could tell which ones were running a particular name brand premium-priced oil versus those which weren't. The ones not running that oil needed many more parts replaced at rebuild time.

Anecdotal yes, but that was our practical in-the-field experience.

Well, this isn't documented but a few years ago while running in a national car racing series with a spec motor, the engine builder who did all the motors for the series could tell which ones were running a particular name brand premium-priced oil versus those which weren't. The ones not running that oil needed many more parts replaced at rebuild time.

Anecdotal yes, but that was our practical in-the-field experience.

:dunno
:lurk

No question in heavy duty applications such as racing or heavy hauling (motor homes, etc..), that one will see a difference in wear between premium synthetic oils and standard dino oils. But for the average person motoring down the highway, does it make a difference?

There was a story a few years ago about a guy who put one million miles (all highway driving) on his 96 Chevy pickup using standard Penzoil of all things. Eight sets of tires and a few transmissions, but he never touched the engine. Penzoil bought him a new truck and used his for advertising.

I suspect for most of us, other parts of our bikes and cars will fail long before the engine wears out on dino oil.

Last edited:
Because they're to much fun. People can get more passionate about oil than the makes and models of the vehicles themselves.

This is good stuff, camguard has invented something new that no one knows about? I've reman'd, overhauled, rebuilt, replaced, zero timed, many types of aircraft engines, even glider engines :). I never used an additive one, hell the heavy iron never even changes oil, thousands of cycles, just add to!

The bottom line to me is change your oil, regularly, even if you get stuck in bum fudge ridge one day and you just have to change your oil, and the only thing available from the Sack-o-Suds is BRAND X, well you have two choices, I'll let you all make that decision. This could be a start of a new thread........"that's a funny".

Cessnadog if you ever have to rebuild, replace, reman, overhaul, zero time, or what ever one does to an airplane engine, break-in is the most critical part of that process.

Once again, good stuff!!!!!;)

I've always used one or the other straight. Aermotor for speed and power or Hammond for the sweet sound. Would it hurt to mix them?

Attachments

• oils.jpg
    oils.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 36
Back