• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K100 ABS brakes Repair Suggestion

blackbeauty

Looking at a k100s 1989 with low miles. The ABS brakes not working, can they be rebuilt? Some have suggested to remove them reducing weight while using disc brakes. I prefer to keep it original with ABS brakes. :bikes

Looking at a k100s 1989 with low miles. The ABS brakes not working, can they be rebuilt? Some have suggested to remove them reducing weight while using disc brakes. I prefer to keep it original with ABS brakes. :bikes

Yes, they can be rebuilt. I saw it somewhere on this website. Don't remember which thread. If you keep your bike original with ABS brakes, you should get a discount on your insurance. I did.

How are they not working? Flashing lights, can't be reset, not stopping?

Competent dealer changed all the fluids and reset the system?

as beemerguru implied, there are multiple reasons why the ABS is malfunctioning. (thus, the question about what the lights are doing, as they give a clue as to the cause).
this can be anything from it needing a new battery (a relatively cheap and very predictable expense), to a failed ABS pump/controller (probably cost as much as the bike is worth, especially if repaired at a dealership), and likely a few other possibilities in between.
if you can't assess the reason why the ABS is out, and you don't have anyone that can do that assessment for you- think of the bike as a non-ABS model that is going to require some heavy parts to be removed and replumbed. now... do you still want that bike? otherwise, you could be in for a cheap repair (~$100) or a very expensive one (meaning north of $2000)- with no way to figure out in advance which it is.

you did mean K100RS, correct? (BMW never made a K100S model).

If it's something like a low voltage scenario all you need is a piece of wire run to ground and the other end stuck into a 3-socket connector to reset it.

A$3 LED from Radio Shack can tell you the fault code so you know what the problem is; don't give up the ship quite yet!:bikes

Diagnostics

Look here for articles on diagnosing ABS faults and resetting.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
Look under Gauges-Electrical-ABS.

There is an outfit that rebuilds the ABS controller for a reasonable price, cant locate it right now.

Back