• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scooters

Now that the scooters have arrived are we going to have some of those Rocker/Mods battles they had in England in the late 50's and early 60's? Are they going to have a zillion mirrors and lights all over them like they used to do and still do today? How about the white wall tires, pencil thin suits with thin ties and Beetles haircuts? Oh well, I guess it's time I digs out me old black Lewis leathers, my engineer boots, enjoy a pint of Guinness as we Rockers jeer and harass them "scooter" people as they ride by. Rockers and Cafe bikes forever!
Old Fart Bob

Scooters have not arrived, they have been here for years. BMW is just joining Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha in the Maxi-Scooter market.

My friend got tired of waiting on BMW and bought a used Burgman 650 last spring. We ride weekly and his preference for our mountain rides has shifted from his R1200RT to the scooter. He said it handles at least as well as his BMW on mountain roads.

After months of trying, he finally convinced me to ride his scooter last Thursday. I rode it 40-50 miles in the mountains and across the Back of the Dragon. I was very impressed with both the power and the handling. I found and bought a Burgman 400 the next day and picked it up yesterday.

The Japanese makes a good maxi-scooter and BMW will need to produce a good product to be successful in the market. I hope they don't abandon the market like the did the cruiser market like they did with the C bikes if they are not immediately successful.

Like my friend, I bought a used scooter to see if it is for me. Scooters depreciate quickly and the market is full of lightly used ones that were bought by people who only thought they wanted one or who are no longer able to ride them. I decide to risk $3,200 for a used one rather than pay $10,000+ for a new one I might not like. My friend has decided he wants a new one and is waiting to ride the BMW before he decides on which one he wants.

scooters rock

I agree, they are here, have been here and popularity will continue to grow. Gas prices and overcrowding will bring more scooters to the cities for sure.

I am back in Taiwan for the next few years and I'm on my scooter everyday. It's the only way to go in a big city with parking hard to find. I lived here for 10 years, from '97 to '07 and rode a scooter all over Taiwan. It was only a 125cc but was able to go anywhere I wanted. Even over the mountains, with ice and snow when the cars where stuck or spinning their wheels. And, yes Taiwan does have snow and ice on the mountains dividing the East coast from the West coast.

I'm looking for a new one now and have decided on a Kymco 180cc which can cruise a highway speeds even though they are still not allowed on the highway here. But, their are plenty of mountain roads that go all over the island to have fun on.

That 650 Burgman would be the way to go in the States. I have a friend here that has one and and rides with our group of beemers each Wednesday and can keep up with any of us.

I've owned a r1100 here and ride a 1150gs now but my everyday ride is a scooter. I'll be 75 when I move back to the States and a big scooter (650>) will be my ride of choice. I won't get rid of my precious '78 rs though. :bikes

Haha, love the Quadrophenia blast from the past!
I have been watching with interest the "scooters on steroids" with the bigger engines. I think a lot of the older generation of riders cut their teeth on two wheel dirt bikes, so the larger engine street bikes were a natural progression for them.
I think the younger rider generation is more urban, has less access to dirt due to closures and development, so they are cutting their two wheel teeth with mopeds/nopeds/scooters. So these big scooters are a natural progression. The utter lack of the "biker gang banger" image with a scooter probably doesn't hurt either. These scooters may well be the wave of the future.
I suspect a few older riders, especially with rheumatoid or circulatory issues, might appreciate not needing the throw the leg so high to mount/dismouint. These new scooters may give such riders a few more saddle years.

The proper footwear would be "winklepickers."

black-leather-3strap-zip-winkle-picker-boots-323-p.jpg

The utter lack of the "biker gang banger" image with a scooter probably doesn't hurt either.

I dunno, looks like a pretty rough bunch to me.. .. .

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=FYyfaXLsKGQ&start=0&end=35&cid=696238"></param><embed src="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=FYyfaXLsKGQ&start=0&end=35&cid=696238" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I suspect a few older riders, especially with rheumatoid or circulatory issues, might appreciate not needing the throw the leg so high to mount/dismouint. These new scooters may give such riders a few more saddle years.

There are more than a few now. Just one Burgman forum (http://www.burgmanusa.com/) has over 10,000 members with many in their 70s, 80s, and even 90s. I wanted a scooter to go along with my bike so it would be much easier to run errands as well as it would be easier to handle with my short inseam and my age. I sat on a BMW but bought a used Burgman because the BMW was, like most BMWs, to high for me to be comfortable on. They made and then discontinued to only BMW I felt comfortable on as I aged (R1200C/CLC).

Back