• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FIRST scooter accident in North America! I'm "somebody"!

GILLY

What, me worry?
My dealer called this morning to tell me he got in a C650GT yesterday and it was ready to ride, so come on up!
Got there and checked it out and was going to ride it a few miles. Was at a red light waiting to turn on to a highway ramp and started to roll, when it felt like the trans did like a downshift? Or something? I'd only rode it maybe ~1/4 mile to get to this traffic light, so was unsure. Until I looked in my mirror and realized; I'd just been bumped! I pulled over on the side of the on-ramp, as did he, that when I knew for sure what had happened:doh. We looked at it. I did note that the reflector below where the license plate attaches was cracked up a bit. I wasn't sure if that was really all that broke, since I (and all of North America) is still unfamiliar with the scooter. The whole section that the plate attaches to seemed loose or wiggly, but again I didn't know if maybe is supposed to have a little play.
I guess I was too busy looking things over when I was waiting for the light to change to check my mirrors to see this happening, the guy said he was watching for other traffic. Anyways the bike didn't even go down. I said he better go back to the dealer with me, since it isn't my bike. Cut my road test a little short, but oh well, I continued down the ramp to another exit a mile or two down the road, then back on the highway the other way back to the dealer. My main intent was to see how it did on the highway, and that I accomplished, I liked it a lot! Around town I am sure it is a blast. Pulled in to the dealers parking lot at a clip that actually surprised me how it responded.
Found Art, the dealer owner, in the showroom and blankly told him I got rear-ended. He sort of laughed at that til I said "I wish I was kidding".
The dealer did say that the part that holds the plate on is cracked way up on top, he had a heck of a time getting the part price and also says that no parts available in USA yet.
We didn't have to even get the cops involved, so that was good, it sounds like the dealer had had some business with this guy in the past (Harley and BMW dealer), so it all went smoothly.
It looks like I will be getting a C650, it may or may not end up being this one. I'd rather have it repaired, since it's a bit of a drive to get to the dealer, so we might end up doing it in the spring instead, the dealer says they will make sure they have one in stock for me.

Gilly

Yup, only second time I've been in what would qualify as an accident with a bike (in 30ish years, I've been on BMWs 25 yrs alone, plus a few years before that). I've done the normal "topples" like most others, but only the second time with another person involved.
First one worked out much like this, no cops, but in the first one I was hit from the side (!), on one of my first cycles, a 1975 Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke(!), wish I still had THAT one, like all the other ones I guess, but especially this one.
So anyways yeah she stopped just in the bare nick of time (talking about the first accident now, probably around 1986 or so), I was kinda shakey (shaken up worse than I was hit), but I stayed upright and pulled over, felt like a cow stepped on my right foot (yeah I'm from Wisconsin so I know what that feels like. NOT good. Hey but at least I didn't have to coax a cow to get the heck off my foot!). She also split this cover that goes over the oil injection pump, small kidney-shaped cover on the right side of the engine, so we agreed I should be able to get one of those covers for $40 so we settled on that.

They did essentially the same thing at the dealer with this guy, looked up the part and added 1/2 hour labor and he just paid it on the spot. He lucked out and he even said so, I didn't see the use in really doing anything beond that, I considered myself lucky that's all that happened too. You have to be able to chose your fights.

Back