• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A little venting, and a question....

der verge

Hey all you hotheads. I had my heart set on getting an RR. After getting the ball rolling, I decided to get an insurance quote before jumping in. I am in my early thirties, male, with a squeaky (clean) driving record. The quote came back at $4600/year! My vocabulary became quite colorful. What do the insurance companies think this bike is? A bomb with two wheels? Seriously, I could do way more damage to this world in my truck.........

Now, I was at one point undecided between a new Daytona 675 and the RR Honestly, I picked the RR for all of it's electronic safety gadgets the Daytona does not have. I am not going to lie, I like to twist the crap out of the throttle on occasion, but I am not a go fast on public roads kind of guy. (I had a way too fast car in my younger days, and got all that out of my system) I look at the RR, with proper attitude of course, as the safer bike. It has ABS and very impressive traction control, which I am a huge fan of. That being said, insurance on the Daytona will run my $2300/year. Not great, but atleast feasable, and HALF the RR.

So here is the question. If you do not mind sharing at least a near estimate of, how much does coverage on your RR cost? Did I just get an outrageous quote? Am I just with a bad company? Is there a horse power rating at which when crossed, the insurance companies simply get to kick you in the jewels? FWIW, quote on a K1300GT was $4200/year.....

S1000RR Insurance

I can't comment on the S1000RR but I have a K1300S, live in West Bloomfield, MI (can't imagine it's much more or less risk to insure here) and my insurance runs $600 for six months. So I think you're getting reamed.

Kent

I think you both need to ask around and to have a breakdown of that coverage so you can see what each part costs.
Part of the reason is no doubt that sportbikes are the choice of kids and CDC has noted they account for a disproportionate share of fatalities too.
I think you can do better if you look and you might want to consider different agents if that's the best your current folks can do for someone with a decent record. No reason at all to do business with cherry pickers- they're not really on your side anyway.

In my 60s, I insure multiple bikes at higher liability levels for not much money and I probably ride more than you do- its a 12 mth gig here.Still, I woludn't be surprised if insurance guys wanted over $1000 to insure that S1000RR for me even though my 150 hp K1200GT can splat my bod just as nicely and lacks the fancy electronics of the sportbike.

For me, if comprehensive was too high, I'd just cover that bit myself- but the I've never crashed a bike, had one stolen, etc etc and buy my stuff for cash so no folks holding a loan wanting to imdemnified against loss. My risk is by far liability- one accumulate assets as one ages so I make a better legal target than some broke student..

Do your homework

Try Merkle. They cut my cost in half from what Allstate was charging.

Ditto.

Farmers wanted $2,800/year for my spotless record on my 2011 K1300S while Markel only asked about $550.

Take your time shopping around and dont worry about the credit checks. Insurance companies use a "soft hit" check which isnt supposed to affect your credit score(provided that sort of thing matters to you).

Additional advice: Stay away from Dairyland I dont say this from some personal experience but from researching the National Insurance Commissioners complaint records for each company. You should do the same here http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

Semper Fi

Markle was cheaper than Progressive. $4100 instead of $4600. Still not going to do it. Markle was cheap on a K1300S, $1600. Well, managable anyway. $4100 is not going to do it. I cannot find a reputable insurance company (funny, I know) any lower than the $4100. I just cannot justify that cost...

USAA insures all of my vehicles for $2400 month.
The Daytona is one of the cheaper ones as I use it only for trackdays now; storage insurance when it's not on the track.:bikes
Good luck on finding decent insurance.

The Daytona is one of the cheaper ones as I use it only for trackdays now; storage insurance when it's not on the track.:bikes
Good luck on finding decent insurance.

I hope that is a typo. There are millions of Americans who live on less than that.

Last edited:

It is my understanding that USAA doesn't insure motorcycles anymore, only those that were already on policy. They won't take anything new, even if you already have insurance with them for other vehicles.

I hope that is a type. There are millions of Americans who live on less than that.

NO, not hype, just my brain telling my fingers to type what I was asking my wife, not what I wanted to type.:bottle

$2400 a year for a truck, SUV, four street-legal motorcycles. I have $1000 deductible on all except for one.

And yes, USAA contracts out portions of their insurance policies to other carriers, motorcycles are one of them. We have been with them before they changed that policy and grandfathered in.

It is my understanding that USAA doesn't insure motorcycles anymore, only those that were already on policy. They won't take anything new, even if you already have insurance with them for other vehicles.

Correct Sir. USAA now pushes all motorcycles through Progressive.

State Farm...check it out.

Depends on where you live. I had a K75 insured with State Farm, liability and uninsured motorist coverage only in Kansas for $85 a year. We moved to far southwest rural as can be Texas. Same bike, same coverage, right at $500 per year. The agent said, "State Farm doesn't like to insure motorcycles in Texas. We had been with State Farm on cars, houses, and motorcycles for 40 years. We went with Farmers/Foremost on the House, the two cars, and the eight bikes.

Depends on where you live. I had a K75 insured with State Farm, liability and uninsured motorist coverage only in Kansas for $85 a year. We moved to far southwest rural as can be Texas. Same bike, same coverage, right at $500 per year. The agent said, "State Farm doesn't like to insure motorcycles in Texas. We had been with State Farm on cars, houses, and motorcycles for 40 years. We went with Farmers/Foremost on the House, the two cars, and the eight bikes.

Eight Bikes! What bikes do you have?

Eight Bikes! What bikes do you have?

Currently Insured
1994 R1100RS
1991 K75S
2007 F800S
2003 R1150R
1994 K75
2001 F650 Dakar
2000 Yamaha TW200
2003 Kawasaki KL 250

Parked/Stored/Not Insured
1995 K75RTP
1966 R27
1964 Honda CA160 (Baby Dream)

Owned by me, ridden and insured by our son
1995 K75

Given to my former son-in-law and insured by him, but he never switched the title yet
1987 K75S

None of these is particularly expensive to insure, but I am sensitive to insurance rates. And I'm careful not to get tickets. I can only imagine what the total would be if an insurance company jacked the rates on these plus the cars because of tickets. That would warrant a big "ouch".

Last edited:
Here in NC, all our stuff: house, vehicles, some riders and some personal insurances, are with State Farm
If I remember right, on the bikes it is 100/300/100 with 500 deductible comprehensive coverage. I forget which is which but with the 2003 BMW K1200RS and the 2003 Honda RC51 it is around 40/mo for one and 50/mo for the other.

NCS

Back