• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Group rides

Alone is Best, but...

I sometimes ride with anywhere from 1 to 4 of my old friends, generally to go for dinner and a total ride of 100 to 150 miles. But, just like flying as a wingman, it takes lots of attention away from enjoying the scenery unless you're leading. I do a fallen warriors charity ride every year, but for me it is a chore.
Rode with a bunch of veterans on Harleys once, but wouldn't do it again - too frequent gas stops and the noise was too much.
Now I do most of my riding two up with my wife of 44 years on pillion and it is great!

I've lead a few rides with a Christian group I belong to and I decided this would be one and only year of being a road captain. I'm not the fastest rider but I can't handle riding the speed limit or below, sinful I know. In groups that I've ridden with that I'm not leading I try to meetup at the lunch destination and then off I go. I don't mind riding with 3-5 very competent riders that I know but prefer to avoid structured group rides.

Slow Riders

Gadgetech, I know just what you mean. I used to ride with a good friend, just the two bikes, but every time he had the lead we would wind up pulling the train on the two-lane, no passing country roads because he liked to ride 5 mph UNDER the speed limit. Often i could see nothing but a truck radiator with the red oval Peterbuilt logo in my mirrors. If I had the lead, he'd fall far behind and would be pulling the train on his own until I'd pull off the road to let him catch up and the traffic pass. Also, his Road King woke up everyone for miles around. Go figure. Had to give up riding with him.

Went on a "toy run" several years ago. It seems that there is an attitude that if you ride a certain type of motorcycle and dress in the proper "uniform" there is no question that you are skilled in riding a large powerful motorcycle. I witnessed many stupid careless stunts. Intentional or not, I don't want to be anywhere near one of these rolling calamities just waiting to happen.

I don't know about the Spyders, but the tricycle style of bikes didn't seem to be very compatible being mixed with two wheel bikes. This may be hereditary or due to the riding style of those I found myself with.

And don't forget the accordion!

Last edited:
My club, BMWNEF has group rides after our monthly meeting (usually 150>180 miles round trip with a stop at mid-point to eat). I usually ride sweep/last and we always ride in a staggered formation. That said I prefer to ride alone most of the time or with 2 or 3 friends. It is hard sometimes to find another rider that travels at a pace you both are comfortable with. 2 or 3 bikes are far more visible than 1 on most roads and offer increased safety as well as a helping hand in case of a problem. Be aware of potential problems and ready to alert fellow riders at all times. RIDE SAFE

I did my first large group ride ever this past Sunday. I actually had a blast (that's my little Ducati on the left). The guys that wanted to go ultra fast led out front and everyone in between formed their own little groups. I felt entirely comfortable the whole time.

lousport.jpg

I have heard, read or talked to riders of the big group/charity rides and learned:
1. One Harley club INSISTED the riders all ride side by side, two bikes alongside each other, as their preferred group ride pattern. NO WAY! It may be legal in Wisconsin but it compromises all the riders.
2. Lead rider taking off and riding his own pace and all the others to follow. NO WAY! In a group ride and leader/captian sets the pace certainly, but to disregard the other riders means 1/2 pack and back the riders are going like hell to catch up.
3. Communication from front to back in the group can be a real challenge. Leader/captian must at least have a designated tail rider/cleanup.
4. Everyone on the ride is responsible for their own ride, for sure, but they must also compensate for the group.
5. Slower/inexperienced riders should NOT be at the tail end of the group. In fact, it is better the slower/inexperienced riders at at or near the leader/captain.

Group Riding Techniques

Very interesting reading, this, and the other referenced thread. Our little Space Coast Leaderless Group rides are a very informal thing, which IMHO are an invitation to trouble. When we meet in the morning the group discusses possible destinations for a ride usually to breakfast somewhere within 50 miles. Whoever leads that day just gets on his bike and... off we go. No brief, no nothing. I've made halfhearted attempts to introduce some structure to the process without success. Funny thing is... it's working.

To up the game (and improve safety) I offer the following 2 references. First is our own:usa MSF's paper on Group Riding, and second is an excellent thread published on the Ride the Rock website.:ca
http://www.arng.army.mil/soldierresources/guardsafety/Documents/Motorcycle%20Safety/MSF%20Quick%20Tips%20Group_Ride.pdf and,
http://www.ridetherock.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876

Taken together, these two products treat the subject very well. The first post in the RTR post is the meat, the others are the potatoes (read "Opinions"). And, the MSF paper clearly illustrates the meaning of 1" and 2" spacing. Those riders who do not observe proper spacing, usually by being too far apart, jeopardize the continuity of the group, making the formation appear to be an uncoordinated, rag-tag group, or groups, of riders. This, in turn, makes for an ungodly long kite-tail for the leader to manage, leading to cage infusion/confusion and the probability of separation at traffic lights and other stops. :bolt:banghead

I went on my first and last group ride about 8 weeks ago... .it's just not as safe as riding alone or with a fried.

Back