Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Group rides

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Interesting topic for discussion I think.

I personally gave up riding in "groups" back in the 1970s. Too many variables, to many agendas.

Disregarding my own judgement I participated a ride last spring. It started out innocently enough; ten bikes from our local classic bike club (guys I've known for years). We were going to take a series of twisty, two-lane, back roads to the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum. Somewhere along the line several other clubs were invited (by someone) to rendezvous with us at two intermediate stops. By the time we were ready to pull out of the gas station there were over fifty motorcycles in the group. I have to imagine how the final sixty mile ride went because I pulled out and headed home.

As the old saying goes, two's company and three's a crowd. Four bikes is my absolute limit. What's yours?
    I am not a fan of big groups. If it has to be a big group then they should be broken down into 5 riders for each group and they leave at different times. These sizes really only work for shorter rides.

Other than that I prefer to ride by myself but don't mind 2 or 3 in a group as long as I know the other riders.

Group riding adds greatly to the things one has to watch out for on a ride. Makes the ride much more tiring.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

There's one guy I ride with - we make the same decisions, and trust each other.

Beyond him, if there's a group going, I somehow always find myself leaving earlier, or later, or taking another route. I like to hang with them at the end, but not during.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

my preference is solo or 3-4 riders

I rarely ride in groups but when if i ride in a group, it is only with people that i know and we generally follow the rules that rxcrider detailed.... or something similar.

there was a time or two when i went on a group ride where there was a segment of riders that were much faster/more agressive than one or two of the others. This caused a bit of an issue. Fortunately, the slower riders basically gave the "ride on" sign, and caught up with the rest of us at the end of the day.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

The moral to all these comments is probably:

Know your group.

There are groups and individuals that I do not wish to be within a mile of on a ride. If I happen to need to be in a group ride for some function, I prefer to be at the end so "Ponch and John" do not tangle up with me when they go down. It also pretty much avoids getting rear-ended by someone who still thinks that front brakes should never be touched.

Mostly I go my own way.
    Last edited by ka5ysy; 10-30-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Considering we're all BMWMOA, dare we say... . .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Group rides are a hoot...on my dirt bike in the woods. Lots of horse play and smack talk and good times.

On the road, I prefer no more than one other bike. If more than that, I like the 'we're riding from point A to point C, and stopping to eat at point B, so I'll see you there and we'll talk about what we saw' approach to group rides.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

I'm sure this means something that somebody.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Putting things together in elements..

Does this mean.

No Clubs?
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

What does a lightning bolt have to do with it or was that the only "bar" available ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Of course you can go on the Love Ride with Jay Leno and a few thousand of his friends who have no clue how to ride in a group. Ouch!

(No TV hosts were harmed in this video, a few others were not so lucky)

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I'll go on group rides but I always position myself in the rear of the group. They don't call me "Tail Gunner" for nothing.....

Does this mean. No Clubs?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thanks for all the insights re. groups! As an old re-entry rider, I've never done any group riding so was curious about the experiences of others. My gut says, "don't do it." I guess I don't feel confident enough in my bike handling, etc. to be immersed in a pack of riders. I tend to use the entire lane for myself and leave lots of space ahead of me. I've ridden with one other rider and that was fine. A friend rides occasionally with a group of 5-6 bikes and has invited me to ride but I've been reluctant as the relative newbie rider. Think I'll keep it that way, at least for now. Thanks again for sharing your experience and views!
    Carl

'93 K75RT

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
    Thanks for all the insights re. groups! As an old re-entry rider, I've never done any group riding so was curious about the experiences of others. My gut says, "don't do it." I guess I don't feel confident enough in my bike handling, etc. to be immersed in a pack of riders. I tend to use the entire lane for myself and leave lots of space ahead of me. I've ridden with one other rider and that was fine. A friend rides occasionally with a group of 5-6 bikes and has invited me to ride but I've been reluctant as the relative newbie rider. Think I'll keep it that way, at least for now. Thanks again for sharing your experience and views!
    I would strongly suggest you take a MSF course. You'll be amazed at what you've forgotten.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650