• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200GS - only mineral oil allowed, ever?

...these are the numbers...deilenberger

Thanks, Don this is good to know. I think for many of our machines, the oil serves light duty, as the bikes aren't subject to short trips, or cold weather duty.

Everytime we take them out, the engines get up to full operating temperature, and moisture in the oil is cooked off.

Nice;

You know, many of us are getting old and old school ideas die hard. Oil is one and the topic has been much to do sround here at the forum over the years. 3000m was the standard for such a LONG time and I guess I must bend a tad with the times. We have been oil analyzing for decades in the trucking world and thats not a new idea. A really good one that needs mentioning, because most do not know it well. I have never sent my bikes oil for testing. I THINK the syns are a positive "for me" item to get used to again and I will run it 6-8000m and get my dollars worth out of it. Recently been going 4-5000m on regular m/c Valvoline. Its gettin g late at 89000m on the GSA1200 now, but can't hurt and my biggest concern was always wasting my dollars on syns., which apparently have life, WELL beyond regular oil. JUST getting that old school 3000m, forever in our minds, oil change thing burried!. I spend a third more+ for oil, it better go further, lots further, imo. BMW Filters too, now at 20$+ where I live. Ugly:(. Randy

Don't think I'd want the Master Mechanic in post #1 to work on my bike.

BTW, when I saw the thread title, "... mineral oil ...", I thought the OP was referring to this:
31191710658_450x450_a.jpg

Does your BMW suffer from occasional constipation? Then give it a healthy dose of Walgreens Mineral Oil!
* Relieves occasional constipation
* Tasteless, odorless & colorless
* Produces bowel movement in 6-8 hours
You can find it at your friendly neighborhood Walgreens store in the Motorrad isle.

Last edited:
I've owned a 2002 RTP since 2007, and a 2012 GSA since May. I've put 56k miles on the RTP, and 4k miles on the GSA.

After purchasing the GSA, the dealer hosted a "shop night" for new owners. At the event, the dealer's service manager fielded questions from the approximately 20 owners present. Inevitably, the conversation turned to oil.

It started with the new K16 owners complaining about the cost of an oil change, as the K16 bikes come from the factory filled with synthetic oil, and BMW recommends replacing that oil with synthetic oil every time.

Then it moved to the R-bikes. The service manager said that the boxer engines are made with different alloys and with different processes and techniques than the other engines, and BMW recommends using dinosaur oil in boxer engines for the first 12k miles so they achieve proper break-in. After the first 12k miles, feel free to put in whatever type of oil you want (dinosaur, blend, full synthetic).

There's no mention of this in the rider's manual, and I haven't seen this mentioned or referenced elsewhere, but I thought I'd repeat these guidelines in the event they make sense to anyone reading this thread.

I've owned a 2002 RTP since 2007, and a 2012 GSA since May. I've put 56k miles on the RTP, and 4k miles on the GSA.

After purchasing the GSA, the dealer hosted a "shop night" for new owners. At the event, the dealer's service manager fielded questions from the approximately 20 owners present. Inevitably, the conversation turned to oil.

It started with the new K16 owners complaining about the cost of an oil change, as the K16 bikes come from the factory filled with synthetic oil, and BMW recommends replacing that oil with synthetic oil every time.

Then it moved to the R-bikes. The service manager said that the boxer engines are made with different alloys and with different processes and techniques than the other engines, and BMW recommends using dinosaur oil in boxer engines for the first 12k miles so they achieve proper break-in. After the first 12k miles, feel free to put in whatever type of oil you want (dinosaur, blend, full synthetic).

There's no mention of this in the rider's manual, and I haven't seen this mentioned or referenced elsewhere, but I thought I'd repeat these guidelines in the event they make sense to anyone reading this thread.

In my 2009 manual is states not to use synthetic for the first 6K miles.

Couple of months ago I went to the BMW website and downloaded owner's manuals to read the oil recommendations for various years. It appears that BMW deleted any reference to synthetic oils and deleted any recommendation against using synthetics in the first few thousand miles beginning with the 2011 model year R-bikes. This oft quoted prohibition existed for prior years, so someone in Motorrad actually had to go in and hit the "Delete" button on those sentences for the latest manuals.

Some dealers and mechanics may be late in hearing about or acknowledging the new thinking at BMW. BMW has been a little slow in adopting modern oil technology for our bikes, but they finally have come around to embracing the industry-wide standard re synthetics. :thumb

Last edited:
Back