• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Is the "touring package" really worth 2k+ R1200RT

sickticket

Ok, I really fell for the R1200RT I test drove today. The future purchase is a no brainer but the touring option seem rather expensive.
When I bought my 2010 Toyota 4Runner they wanted to sell me the "in the dash" GPS for over 3k. No, I'll just attach my GPS to the windshield and it cost me a few hundred.
The BMW dealer advised me to get the radio because on resale I would get far less on return.
This is probably my last bike and resale is not a concern plus spending 2.3k for a radio and whatever else comes with it seems very excessive.
The purchase will not be for a few months but I would really like your qualified opinions.
I do like listening to the road and exhaust noise.

Personally, I think radios are a distraction. I like to concentrate on what's going on around me and the only input I need are the voices in my head.
By the way, I agree completely about the GPS issue. I tend to keep vehicles a long time and any GPS the manufacturer installs would be long obsolete before I got rid of the vehicle.

For about $250 you can install a nice GPS on your bike. I have a nice set-up on my R1200R. I move the unit from my car to bike when needed. I had two bikes with radios and never used them. I would rather listen to the bike run.

I love listening to XM radio in the car, but have never missed music on the bike. If I had the option of a radio on a bike I would not buy it.
I know a lot of guys use an IPod on the bike, but I don't even bother with that.
I'm not even kooked up to sound on my GPS so I can hear the directions. I do miss a turn now and then :)

We own 4 BMW bikes- none with a radio. Really, do you think you can hear music clearly on a bike at speed in an environment of rushing air and motor / tire noise? Waste of money and the alleged resale value is a big piece of BS. Do some looking and you'll see bikes with radios don't bring much if any more money in most sales of used bike (nor do other farkles add much to resale)- the reason is a whole lot of folks don't care.
I've got XM in my car, the only place I use it despite the fact that my gps could do XM and pipe it into my helmet. Most of the time I don't even connect the gps to helmet, keeping the coms clear for voice stuff with my riding partner.
Distractions while riding, no matter what type, are a recipe for trouble eventually. Focus is what keeps you healthy.

I rarely use the radio, but it does come in handy on long trips if I get bored. I was thinking more of the tank bag and big trunk along with the asc. I had a '10 RT came without radio, GPS, and I got the '11 RT with all the whistles at a good price with the gps thrown in for free. Would I pay for a '13 with all the stuff? My answer is yes, get it over with. I certainly use the radio at high volume sometimes in my daily commutes as some folks use loud pipes - except I play classical music. It does get those cagers' attention. And, yes, I can hear it quite nicely with the windshield up, volume up, and earplugs. But, to each their own.

Of the bikes we've sold at Nick's BMW, both new and used, I'd say that other then the K1200LT, most do not have radios. I don't buy the "resale" line of crap at all. Every used BMW we get in, radio or not (most not) sell for the price posted.

Every time I have ridden a bike with a radio, I spend more time fiddling with the damn thing instead of focusing on the riding. More distracting than satisfying. Plus the volume has to be up so high to overcome the ambient noise, that I end up assualting my ears with even more noise/volume.

Save the money on the factory radio for option FAR more worth the dollars, like quality aftermarket shocks after the stock ones crap out at 20,000 miles. You'll get SO much more value for dollar on that versus a radio option.

Besides, these days MP3 players and Ipods FAR outperform a radio.

I noticed that most of the people that said they don't listen to the radio were east coast. I love my XM when I just want to get from A to B and Nevada is in the way. But I don't think the package is worth it. I have a satellite radio and a gps that bounce from car to bike to backpack and that works for me.

gps matbe radio never

I have a 2008 RT no radio, don't want any other distractions. Used the GPS once when I was really lost. The only thing logged in was home. I got there. Far better to spend the money on better shocks at 20K and 6'oclock lights "P3's" and reflective tape on the bags. Just my thoughts but I've been riding for forty years so I am a Luddite.

I love listening to music when I ride. That said, the factory radio is not worth it, I have it on my 05 RT & you cannot hear it going down the road. If you turn it up enough to hear it, it sounds like crap. Just tuck an iPod in your jacket & use molded plugs... Way better, almost concert like.

Ok, Mcollect, your terminology was over my head. What do you mean when you say "6o'clock lights and P3's?
I've also read several threads about the shocks being replaced at 20k. Is that the life expectancy of stock shocks and what are the recommended replacements and costs??
Thanks

Sorry

The positions are 12 ):clock directly ahead 3 to the right 6 O:clock directly behind you. 6 is the most fearful; as cagers are not paying attention to anything and we are looking more at 12 3 and 6 O:clock. BMW and others make LED light bars that attach to the license plate, are faster coming on and can flash to get someones attention immediately! BMW sells them but they have been known not to be waterproof. Skene Designs makes the P3 that is one of the best. Plug and play simple to install and it has three modes of lighting. # 1 Fast flash x3 slow times slow then is constant. That is programmed as set But you can adjust to slow flash or constant. In most states flashing brake lights are illegal, But I have never heard of anyone being stopped for that. Don't forget many LEOs are also riders.

sickticket,

I presume by "touring package" you are actually referring to the "premium package". If that is the case I will tell you that I did not think it was worth it...for me. I highly recommend option 435 which is the premium equipment. I did not pursue the option ZAC "Audio and Communications" for the following reasons: 1) I heard the bluetooth capability is problematic. 2) This package includes satellite radio capability of which there is no service where I live. 3) I prefer to stream audio from my cell phone via iheart, pandora, etc and figured I would get the best audio quality via a bluetooth headset setup in my helmet.

I hope this helps. I have owned many bikes throughout my life and this bike is without question the best I have ever thrown my leg over. The best thing about it...it's mine!

Aloha.

Scot

I have a 2011 with the radio and use it fairly regularly - but I also tend to drive for hours at a time. I usually start off quiet then turn it on after a while.

Oddly, the only time I listen to music anymore is when I'm on the bike.

Regarding sound, if you're going under about 45MPH you'll hear it fine. I put on a taller windscreen and can now hear it easily up to about 90MPH.

I'm 6'3 and a lot of my height is in my torso so if you're less tall than that, you will probably have an even better time of it.

I don't have the GPS; I use WAZE when I'm within cell range and TomTom on my iPhone when I'm out.

Waze is fantastic - tells you about traffic, police, etc on your route. Really love it.

XM Stereo Bluetoothed from a Zumo 665 to JM Corp. Elite BT headset monted in a Shoei RF-1100 and use of 31 NRR earplugs asa amazingly great sound, regardless of speed.

Love having the XM and Mp3's, Verbal Diretions and Phone all avialble in my helmet!

Music when riding: I never leave home without it.

Not the least bit distracting and the fidelity is excellent!

Whether one considers something distracting is a matter of opinion I suppose.

But there is also the simple fact that accident rates are worst for inexperienced and returning riders - that means less than 5 years of real riding experience. Defensive driving skills on a bike need to be a lot better than in a cage if you expect long term accident free experience.
Stock BMW bikes come with enough widgies and things for new owners to learn to use without having to look down at the bars already. The more stuff you add, the more potential distractions exist, especially for newbie or returning riders. Not so much of n issue for folks who've used bike for transporation for much of their life.

Anyone living around other people is familiar with the increased number of accidents caused by distracted drivers in cages and I sure wouldn't want to try to make the case the playing with widgies on a bike is as safe or safer than in a cage. Not so many of do most of our riding on relatively deserted roads..

Back