• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question about 1981 BMW (Rennsport?)

Looking at the red stripe, I think someone confused the terms "Motorsport" with "Rennsport" edition. It looks to me that the bike could be an attempted upgrade to "Motorsport", however, not exactly that.
The term "Rennsport" was used by BMW in the late 50s early 60s for the race bikes with the towershaft valve drive.
There is always the possibility that certain specials were made for certain markets.
One example is the elusive R100S "Motorsport" for the U.S. that was made for Butler & Smith.

Looking at the red stripe, I think someone confused the terms "Motorsport" with "Rennsport" edition. It looks to me that the bike could be an attempted upgrade to "Motorsport", however, not exactly that.
The term "Rennsport" was used by BMW in the late 50s early 60s for the race bikes with the towershaft valve drive.

Mike - What does lend a smidgen of credibility to the possibility of "Rennsport" is that according to the "Original BMW Air-Cooled Boxer Twins 1950-1996" book, they produced 30 Rennsport editions in 1992 for the R100RS. Each one had a numbered plaque. That model was the two tone blue and silver style. But nowhere does anyone list a Rennsport in the 80s, and certainly not one with the racing stripe down the tank and to the seat as a riff on the Motorsport style from 1978... I've resigned myself that this is just a cool custom paint job and not a factory special edition. But waiting for the VIN anyhow... - mark

It is a beautiful bike custom or not.

That really is the bottom line. At every rally is see several beautifully done customs, some just paint but others that are Frankenbeemers assembled with love by skillful Airheads. I like them as much as some Factory Specials in original fit and fiddle condition.

it's great to hear that about the appreciation for the custom enhancements. Most of my vintage vehicle experience comes from the old Volvo groupies. (I have an '71 1800e Volvo - a la 'The Saint' - which incidentally he also rode an R100RS as his motorcycle of choice) The resale market and value of the Volvos are all about the original color, accessories, authenticity of the modifications etc. Good to see the spirit amongst the airhead community is appreciation for the bike as art-form rather than slavish recreation of originality.

it's great to hear that about the appreciation for the custom enhancements. Most of my vintage vehicle experience comes from the old Volvo groupies. (I have an '71 1800e Volvo - a la 'The Saint' - which incidentally he also rode an R100RS as his motorcycle of choice) The resale market and value of the Volvos are all about the original color, accessories, authenticity of the modifications etc. Good to see the spirit amongst the airhead community is appreciation for the bike as art-form rather than slavish recreation of originality.

yeah, but for resale- that same rule ALWAYS applies, regardless of brand. aftermarket goodies are worth (very few) pennies on the $ in terms of resale.

A USA version R100RS manufactured September 1980 according to realoem.com

A 1981 model year bike, then.

Enter only 6225064

Useful VIN Lookup Links

Here are links to the most commonly referenced website that provide model/year information on BMWs:

realoem - enter last 7 digits of VIN in the box at top:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Max BMW - enter last 7 digits of VIN in the box at the bottom:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

As lkchris says, the subject bike's VIN says it is a 1981 Model Year R100RS produced for the US market that was manufactured in September 1980. The "Australian version of the bike that was a Rennsport edition that was upgraded from 70(71?) to 77hp" claim does not seem to fit with the information from the decoded VIN - nice bike though.

Vin numbers

The current standard for VIN numbers didn't start until around 1983 or 84. I had an '81 RT that was titled (new) as an '81. When I tried toget a new title in another state they insisted it was a 1980 (this was in the early 90's). The DMV didn't care what the original title said, they went according to the VIN and the VIN was a 1980 model. I had to write to BMW and get an official letter to get the state to correct the title.

I do find that Ian Falloon mentions these bikes and shows a picture exactly like the one on ebay.au. Ian calls out 30 Rennsport special editions, indicating to me that 30 of them were built. The bikes did have the plaque as shown above the key. The VIN on this bike indicates it was built in May 1992...that information is from Phil Hawksley's site which differs from what the seller has indicated.

The bikes did have the plaque as shown above the key.

I never blew up all the photos before. Sure looks like a custom plaque. Certainly I know of no special production BMW that does not have something unique and known to distunguish it from all others.

But that has not one whit to do with the OP example of a decade or more earlier.

Here is my Bitburger limited special R1200R. If the decal will add a few bucks it is for sale, decal that is, not the bike.

Attachments

• Bitburger Edition.jpg
    Bitburger Edition.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 153
Well... Looks like we've all settled on the fact that this is a nice custom painted bike. As people in the forum have urged, "if you like it, then buy it."

So I did.

Very proud owner now! Just popped on the cafe style single seat tonight. Needs a fair amount of deferred maintenance work. Tires are 15 years old. Not sure when the last time the tank was cleaned, carbs overhauled etc etc. But she's a good clean specimen and should be fun to ride. Esp after she gets K75S handlebars added. No side-stand on it now, so a brown sidestand is in order... And of course some white saddlebags to complete the faux Motorsport look.

Attachments

• bmw on freeway.jpg
    bmw on freeway.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 111
Just my opinion but I like the way the black bags conrtrast with the white bike. Just take a can of Pledge and shine em up if so inclined.

That RS looks awesome. Almost as nice as my '82 red with black smoke! :p

Just my opinion but I like the way the black bags conrtrast with the white bike. Just take a can of Pledge and shine em up if so inclined.

That RS looks awesome. Almost as nice as my '82 red with black smoke! :p

Me too, leave them on the bike. The white ones yellow after awhile, and IMHO they add too much white.

Congrats on the new ride.

We love our RS's, yes we do.

As others have stated, I, too, would stick with the black bags. But, hey, it's your bike do whatever floats your boat!

Back