• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Question about 1981 BMW (Rennsport?)

Motosport or Rennsport, its still a fine looking piece.

I agree the front lower grill is probably from an earlier model. The lower gril on my 76 R100RS looks the same (though in the classis silver/blue color scheme).

And yes, the RS did come out in Europe in 76. My bike is a UK model brought to the state by the previous owner. VIN #6080414

Well... Looks like we've all settled on the fact that this is a nice custom painted bike. As people in the forum have urged, "if you like it, then buy it."

So I did.

Very proud owner now.

Congratulations, sure looks like top 10% as to condition generally. Just take the time to do the maintenance stem to stern and ferret out the weaknesses from sitting for too many years.

Well I'll be danged. Here is someone selling a 92/3 blue silver RS as a "Rennsport 30" spezial edition. Begins to look to me that "Rennsport" is made of whole cloth by charlatans and those who will buy into something claimed special and worth more than market.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R-10...4381281?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e73f3dfe1

Three or four years ago I saw one of these at the "Chicken Rally" in AL. I still think it was a limited edition "Motorsport" bike.

Attachments

• RS Special.JPG
    RS Special.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 57
Three or four years ago I saw one of these at the "Chicken Rally" in AL. I still think it was a limited edition "Motorsport" bike.

That is just a stock 79RS, dark blue metallic/light silver metallic. Not a limited edition at all. I like it better than the motosport, but just by a bit.

That is just a stock 79RS, dark blue metallic/light silver metallic. Not a limited edition at all. I like it better than the motosport, but just by a bit.

Sorry, I got mixed up. For whatever reason, I thought that this color scheme was the one we talked about as the "Rennsport". My bad. As soon as a thread has 3 or more pages, I have a hard time following the discussion. Too much MTV....:D:D

Back