• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New guy from SE Pa

sickticket

Hope to have my first BMW in the Spring. I've had Yamaha's and Honda's but now I want to upgrade to a R1200RT.
Since I work second shift, half of my riding will be at night and I am concerned with how good are the lights on the RT because I have a 50 minute commute through deer country.
Are lighting upgrades necessary?
Thank you in advance.
Sickticket

I have an 2011 RT. The lights are some of the best BVMW ever produced. Much better than the earlier RTs. Extra driving lights are great too. On the purely conspicuity side of lighting, I just installed Photon Blasters on the front of my bike and whatever they call the lights they produce for the rear. Hope spring comes quickly for you!!!!

PineGreen, as a follow on your comment, is it best to have the dealer install the added lights when I buy the bike? I would assume that they would know the wiring system best . Also, can the lights be tied into the high beam button?

Having them installed at pickup depends on your level of confidence and ability at wiring. I have installed a number of aux. lights. Piaa, Moto Lights, but the were on older bikes. The instructions with most aux. lighting is pretty good. Lately however I have gotten lazy and a little apprehensive about digging into the wiring harness of a $20,000+ bike. The labor for having the dealer install the lights will cost as much as the lights themselves. I had Bobs BMW install Photon Blasters on the front of my bike and the rear P3'. At least I think they are called P3. Go to Skene Products or Google Photon Blaster or go to You Tube to see them in action.. As I said it took them less than 2 hrs to install and they wacked me$300.00 labor. I think for me it was the right decision. No frustration, ankst, profanity or frayed nerves. As I said earlier I am well pleased with the stock lights. Can't husr to be more visable. Oh, on You Tube, Max Bmw has a series of how to vids. Interesting watching.

Back