• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

about as cool as it gets

Back to the original post.

When I see a pic, or better yet, the real thing like the car, trailer and bike in the picture I can't help but be in awe of the person that went through the work to build them. As for me, I used to work on cars out of necessity when my wife and I were first married, drove older vehicles, and couldn't afford mechanics. That said, I never developed a love of working on vehicles.

To build a custom car or motorcycle, you not only have to have a nack, but also the desire to do so.

I've worked on cutting edge technology in the computer industry for over 30 years. Because I'm close to it, I'm not easily impressed by it and in fact tend to want to get away from it since it's "work" to me. It's also probably why I'm impressed when I see an old car fixed up to be a rod pulling a custom bobber. It's not something I would consider tackling, yet someone else did it to perfection.

I remain constantly amazed how condescending some posters on this forum are towards anything that diverges from their own narrow interests. I see it when folks try to compare their Airhead to a K1300 (or vice versa). I see it when folks try to diminish others who ride something other than a BMW (how dare they). I see it when Luddites think technology is only for their lesser idiots. I see it when folks compare the value of their hobby (motorcycles) to the values of anybody elses different hobby. And whenever I see it it tells me far more about the intellect and values of the poster than it tells me about the person or thing the poster is trying to put down.

But, Paul, I have an issue, and it always comes back to this.....If someone tells you they design "world class" products of "uber" level performance, don't you think they would be similarly passionate about other things? Especially, their hobbies? I just find it hard to believe that someone can turn that aspect of their personality off and on.

Some folks are artistic, some tends toward the analytical, and then there are the adventuresome. But, in most cases, those are personality traits that carry over into all aspects of a person's life.

Perhaps, within the engineering world, we should push the young to appreciate the creative, instead of focusing on the analytical / diagnostic. But, it's much easier to teach an analysis technique as opposed the rationalizations that lead to a good design.

Some folks are artistic, some tends toward the analytical, and then there are the adventuresome. But, in most cases, those are personality traits that carry over into all aspects of a person's life.

Perhaps, within the engineering world, we should push the young to appreciate the creative, instead of focusing on the analytical / diagnostic. But, it's much easier to teach an analysis technique as opposed the rationalizations that lead to a good design.

I disagree, you need both to really bring out the best in all. A balance I would advocate.

Back