• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

about as cool as it gets

f14rio

8123314998_bc2fbeb874_b.jpg

IMO... its only the trailer thats not up to snuff; but I like it all.

IMO, the POS trailer has the best fenders of the lot... :stick

Honestly, I wouldn't be interested in any of it. :D

JP

It would be worth having a rig like that, just to take to the National. :D

But I'd love to have a bobber, for day rides. I'd be the coolest guy at our local biker hang out.

How about a BMW on a BMW Multitrailer attached to a Mercedes?

Attachments

• L1200036crop.JPG
    L1200036crop.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 232
f14rio...that IS just 'about as cool as it gets'.
Most MOA members would never admit it though...

It's cool? It's hot. It's the desert.
If it's your cup of meat, it is. I'm hip. Or is it hep?
dc

Crap. I almost forgot. Groovy baby.

OK, so I live in an area (near Carlisle and Hershey, PA) where I can view a lot of rods and "Muscle Car Classics". For the most part, they are toys of the 65+ set.

Being 10+ yrs younger than that age group (thankfully), I'm not much of a fan of these cars; having grown-up with Japanese motorcycles, VW cars and several really lame GM & Ford products from the 70 and 80's. In any event, when a I was in my twenties, I can still recall me and my friends being excited about new cars.........the RX-7, Datsun Z-cars and the 810's and, of course, whatever European product was available.

But, today, amongst the younger folks that I work with, the subject of cars never comes up. I find that strange, especially since I work in a large engineering lab. A heated discussion on the relative merits of Mac vs PC might occur, but rarely a word on cars.

Perhaps, physical travel is no longer important or enjoyable.

But, today, amongst the younger folks that I work with, the subject of cars never comes up.

+1 I got my 19 yr old stepson hooked on manual transmissions and he actually has some interest in cars and bikes now, besides the boombox and cruiser aspects or them. But to most kids, they're just appliances. Maybe it does have something to do with growing up in the 60's rather than the age of minivans and computer games.

But, today, amongst the younger folks that I work with, the subject of cars never comes up. I find that strange, especially since I work in a large engineering lab. A heated discussion on the relative merits of Mac vs PC might occur, but rarely a word on cars.

Some good to this, I think.

I grew up with my Dad a partner in a truck dealership and I've seen all the old iron I can stand. Zip/zero/nada nostalgia for me for old junk like small block chebbies (AKA boat anchors), Harleys, street rods, etc.

The USA has 2/3 of its auto majors just out of bankruptcy or given to Italians while Germany leads the world in automotive technology. Not much nostalgia for old BMWs either--they, too, look like they were built by blacksmiths.

Yeah, good luck trying to sell that junk to today's younger folks. Try telling them how your rotary dial telephone was cool, too, and about the encyclopedia salesman. If they could afford one, they'd own an M3.

Some evidence? Get Zite for your iPhone and you'll be overwhelmed how "young" the intended audience for that is. Then check the Auto news section--just about all BMW news.

Perhaps, physical travel is no longer important or enjoyable.

I'm 26 and an engineer. To blanket my peers in a mildly offensive stereotype: they're all a bunch of spoiled children from yuppie families whose parents bought them their first and second "safe and reliable" cars and now that they're adults, their wives tell them what they can and can not drive. It's a sea of Honda Civics, Hyundai Sonatas, and similar absolutely uninspired cages. Their excuses are: "it'll last forever" but they end up replacing them every 2 years and ~60k miles; "it gets great gas mileage" but my motorcycle gets better; "the wife wanted more of a family car" but she already has her own.

.... they're all a bunch of spoiled children from yuppie families whose parents bought them their first and second "safe and reliable" cars and now that they're adults, their wives tell them what they can and can not drive. It's a sea of Honda Civics, Hyundai Sonatas, and similar absolutely uninspired cages. Their excuses are: "it'll last forever" but they end up replacing them every 2 years and ~60k miles; "it gets great gas mileage" but my motorcycle gets better; "the wife wanted more of a family car" but she already has her own.

Interesting observation :thumb

I want to reiterate the part you cut out: it's an offensive stereotype steeped in sarcasm. In fact, it would be the negative light of my peers situation. I'm sure they'll say it's not that bad. :ha

No, actually, I think it's pretty spot on. But then, not everyone's a throwback like you, Nathan. And I mean in that in the most positive way.:D

I had heard there was a survey taken where teenagers overwhelmingly said they'd choose internet access over the use of a car. The bottom line is that with everyone and everything "connected" these days, the need for transportation isn't as great. I grew up in rural North Dakota where my closest buddy was 5 miles away. There were no "home" computers, so to communicate, it was either telephone or face to face. I got my first motorcycle at 13, a Honda CB100. It provided me the ultimate freedom to go where I wanted, albeit illegally. Most of my friends also had small motorcycles. It was awesome.

I remain constantly amazed how condescending some posters on this forum are towards anything that diverges from their own narrow interests. I see it when folks try to compare their Airhead to a K1300 (or vice versa). I see it when folks try to diminish others who ride something other than a BMW (how dare they). I see it when Luddites think technology is only for their lesser idiots. I see it when folks compare the value of their hobby (motorcycles) to the values of anybody elses different hobby. And whenever I see it it tells me far more about the intellect and values of the poster than it tells me about the person or thing the poster is trying to put down.

Last edited:
Back