• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suspension options for 1973 R75/5 ?

kballowe

Poser
I have a 1973 R75/5 (long swingarm) that has the original suspension.

1. It's "shot"
2. The bike could be a fuzz lower for my short legs.

Discovered that Progressive has a listing for this model/year but thought it would be a good idea to ask the question here, first.

Opinions/recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

My Konis are pretty much toast, I've been putting off replacement, but it is probably time.

If you do a search on this forum, there are lots of opinions.

I've been thinking about YSS. These guys (EPM Performance)

http://www.epmperf.com/

were at a Super Tech I attended this year and I'll probably go to them when I'm ready to buy.

The YSS models that fit your and my bikes start with a pair of hydraulic shocks for $189 (list price), and then gas models starting at $299, another model at $399, and one more at $499.

I'm thinking about the YSS E-series gas shocks at $299.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has the YSS shocks.

Barron

Progressive's are to stiff and I have Hagon's on my /5 and like them. It really depends are your weight, rider weight and luggage weight. If you post that info I can help you figure out the best route or PM me.

....~ It really depends are your weight, rider weight and luggage weight. If you post that info I can help you figure out the best route or PM me.

Solo rider, 200 pounds, 5'9". Naked bike - no fairing nor saddlebags. There's a "day bag" tied on the back. This one is used for the two-lane roads and I rarely get more than three counties away with it.

Solo rider, 200 pounds, 5'9". Naked bike - no fairing nor saddlebags. There's a "day bag" tied on the back. This one is used for the two-lane roads and I rarely get more than three counties away with it.

Ikon's. You will get better damping than the others and on the 1st setting you should get about one inch of sag. If you want a softer ride go with the Hagons.

I have a pair of original Boge shocks that I was going to put on my RS.I decided to keep the Progressives on her for now.I'll give you a good price on the Boges if you want them.

Michael,

I did think about rebuilding the Koni 7610s. Read a couple of articles, here is an example:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652171&highlight=koni+rebuild

But, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether it is worth it, that the shocks will really work well with the old springs; or, whether I need to consider I got my money's worth out of the Koni's, buy a new set of shocks and be good for another 10 years or so.

I'll send you a PM if I when I replace the Koni's.

Nobody has the YSS's??

Barron

suspension

My '73 R75/5 came with Hagons and I am happy with them. I am an afternoon rider or short duration time rider.

But before you spend a boatload of money please consider that "handling" and "comfort" are complex words with a lot of variables. Further understand that the designers in the Fatherland (former WWII U-Boat naval architects :stick) had their own ideas about handling and comfort.

Maybe you are better off carving a little off the seat so that both you gain a "fuzz" and keep the bike on its original geometry with standard size shocks? You are not in the saddle for that long of a time anyway.

I am not a suspension expert. But there are lots of people in this club and on this forum who will maintain to keep the bike on its original designed geometry whenever possible and to avoid shorter shocks.

Or maybe there is a lower profile tire option that can be explored to give you that "fuzz". You do not sound like a hard touring kind of rider who is in the saddle for days, so maybe you have touring tires now.

I have learned the hard way, as many others have on this forum, that tuning your bike to yourself (so that you can be in your happy place) is a trade-off of one characteristic against another. And it is always expensive.

A half inch here, a quarter of an inch there, all before spending big bucks on shocks could make you a happier person and you may just find your fuzz with a more economical shock/suspension system.

Nobody has the YSS's?

Tom Cutter had a set of YSS with the piggyback reservoirs on his R100 in Sedalia this summer. He recommended them during his seminar (he also sells them- said that he tends to sell the products he likes to use), although he spoke well of Ikons and a couple of others also, if my memory serves.

I had my Progressive aluminum bodied shocks rebuilt a couple of years ago. I sent them in to be rebuilt by progressive- I think they just opted to replace the shock bodies outright rather than rebuild the old ones (which were about 10 years old at the time). I put new springs and adjustment collars on them myself, so I ended up with new shock/springs for about 2/3 of the cost of new ones...

Back