• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Frame vs. Handlebar fairing

rbryson

Please respond only if you have actually used both types of fairings. I need product tested feedback, not opinions (sorry to be so blunt). I am considering buying an expensive handlebar mounted fairing (Parabellum Scout). I have had a Vetter Windjammer III for 25 years, but am looking for something more aerodynamic. Is there anyone who has had both products? What can I expect in terms of:
1. Wind and rain protection
2. Noise and wind turbulence
3. Handling (especially in wind)
4. Gas mileage
5. Durability
6. Finish and overall craftsmanship
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

They both do all six about the same. The biggest difference is the handlebar mount is not as safe at speeds or in the wind. Nothing like having a sail move the handlebars for you.

I've had both and agree with Chris. Frame mount is preferable from a stability aspect. They usually add more weight than handlebar mount. I've had more than a few hairy moments in high winds with bar mount fairings. On the plus side the adrenalin sure wakes you up.

I might add that for item 1, I think you get more rain protection down low from a frame mount but this depends on which fairing we're talking about. A Vetter with lowers for example is pretty good in the rain.

I have had both - you have/will recieve a much greater level of protection (wind/rain, etc.) from the Windjammer than the Parabellum. I used a Windjammer for many years, never had the Parabellum but have had fairings that were very similar. As far as stability, like said above, a frame mount is more stable but generally I have never found the handlebar mount to be any kind of an issue other than in the most extreme conditions.

couldn't agree more with all the above. I have had many bikes, and I would rather go naked these days vs handlebar.

FYI - I just picked up an rt and a hannigan st for the r65/100, if I decide not keep one, would you be interested in it?

j

My observations from past bikes

Moto Guzzi 850T with WindJammer III, heavy, great protection, does not affect handling too much in strong winds, gas mileage about the same with and without.

Triumph Bonnevllle (old one, not new one) with Vetter Rooster, so-so wind protection, whipped the bike around in strong winds, hurt gas mileage.

R90S with stock fairing, much like the Parabellum Scout, but a bit smaller maybe, little protection except for the waist, the Scout may be better. Did not cause any funny handling problems due to winds either, gas mileage typical for airheads, mid 40's.

Wayne

Thanks everyone. I am glad I tested the waters here first. I was about to make the plunge and plunk out a big chunk of money for a fairing that I would be disappointed with. You have to love these forums.

I've had a bike with a big barn door of a windscreen on the handlebars. It was tolerable, but frame mount feels much better in strong winds.

The frame mount is always going to win out over a handlebar mount fairing when it comes to handling issues. Simply because the frame is carrying the weight of the fairing not the handlebars and the inputs via wind etc are going to be on the frame not the handlebars.

That being said the vetter is much bigger & heavier that the parabellum you are looking at. One local fellow has a Parabellum scout on his airhead and he really likes it.

The only time I've had a handlebar fairing cause issues is in strong wind or side winds when passing/meeting semi's. With a frame mounted fairing it just feels like you ran into a wind wall & then it passes with no real impact on handling.

I have a 71 /5 that over the years has had 3 different fairings on it.The first was a frame mount Avon police type.It made the bike feel very heavy at slow speeds and weighed about 25lbs.Had a rather large windscreen that could really sail in a crosswind.Never really liked it at all.Then I purchased a Parabellum handlebar fairing,a similar was also marketed by Rifle,was a great improvement over the Avon.Think it weighed 6lbs,made the bike handle much better with less turbulence and great rain protection.Had always liked the R90s cafe fairing,so I put a Parabellum Scout with a low sheild on.Got the look I wanted and it gives good protection from the wind and somewhat the rain.I can also convert to unfaired in just a few minutes if needed.Never had any issues with either Parabellum.

bmw baggers

I had a 75/6 and started going the bagger route with luftmeister and bates bags and a trunk of some sort. I really got disenchanted with it because a smaller bike really doesn't cut it as a bagger in my opinion. Ended up with an Electraglide and ended up selling the bmw (big mistake). Now own a 90/6 with just a windshield and I have to admit i did have a few tense moments in N.C. on 129 going arround some curves and getting slightly upset from side wind blast.

Check out Henzilla's white 75/6 he just found. Sweet.

Most aerodynamic frame mount fairing for R90/6?

Seems the consensus is frame mounts over handlebar mounts for handling, which begs the question. What is the most aerodynamic frame mount fairing for a 1975 R90/6?

Had a Windjammer years ago and now ride with a Parabellum Scout on my R1200R.

Windjammer is heavy, bulky and in my opinion not very attractive. Puts too much weight forward on the bike and is not good for handling or riding on rough terrain. Also limits visibility of the road up close.

Parabellum Scout is so light as to not have a noticeable affect on the handling or suspension. I have never felt like it was causing an issue when riding in the wind and boy do we get wind. I think it is good looking on the bike, certainly more contemporary than the WJ. They are very well made and provide good protection for the torso. With handguards and tank panniers mounted it can provide very good protection, or you can put a low screeen on and have the look of a cafe racer.

... certainly more contemporary than the WJ.

Easy enough to understand since the Windjammer series development ended in 1981. But I think it's still a good fairing, even with it's weight issues; I've ridden thousands of miles behind one. I had a small bikini fairng on my LWB /5 for awhile with no issues (beyond having to tuck down tight in the rain).

Charly Perethian, owner of Parabellum, puts a lot of effort into the develop of his products. I've known "Chas" since I went to work for him in 1978, at the Vetter Fairing Company (he was the R&D Manager for Craig Vetter).

Speaking of Parabellum Scouts... .

There's one up on eBay, with four days remaining; new, never installed, with tall and short wind shields.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parabellum-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abda53f3d&vxp=mtr

Disclaimer
: it's not mine.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the link. Fairing, no fairing; large fairing, small fairing; frame mount, handlebar mount..... to each their own.

Fairing, no fairing; large fairing, small fairing; frame mount, handlebar mount..... to each their own.

+1

I ditched using my WJ years ago (although is still resides up in the attic at my shop). I rides with the wind my face and the bugs in my teeth now.

Back