• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'90 K75S Fork Spring Caps

jkbales

I want to remove the fork spring caps to replace the springs, but I can't get the caps off. The caps depress only 1/16 inch, so can't get at the snap ring. These are "S" forks, still on the bike. What am I doing wrong?

Take a bar ( I use an Allen socket that fits the filler and an extension) and push down on the cap. It will expose the snap ring. Once the snap ring is removed, CAREFULLY release the spring pressure on the cap. There is about 1" of spring preload on the cap.

You MIGHT have to tap the extension with a hammer and use most of your weight to compress the spring enough to get at the snap ring.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks, I'll try it. I used a "T" bar with a socket to push the cap down, after I removed the filler plugs. Maybe I wasn't pushing down hard enough, only about 50 lb. The front of the bike is jacked up, but I didn't want it to rock forward off the center stand. I'll get a helper and see if I can wedge the rear brake on, to steady things.

Have the helper sit on the back of the bike and or block up the bottom of the engine or the mounting bushings of the engine spoiler.

:dance:dance:dance

I got it! The cap was stuck due to corrosion and it took 3 taps to loosen it, then only moderate pressure to hold it down. The clip was slightly rusted but came out OK. Thanks for the tips.

Back