• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'05 RT glove box door

rapiddog

Barback King
2005 R1200RT

Followed the thread to pull the plastics, actually read it this morning after getting most of the job done last night.

Evidently there's something I'm missing as I'm trying to figure how to get the right panel pass the gb door.
Are there screws on the door? Seemed like it was attached/hinged to the CD box.

It's not covered in the thread BTW...

If you are trying to remove the door, two screws facing horizontal hold it on under the outer edge ...and it does have to come off to get rest of panel.
Those two screws are diff from the rest.

...that's what I thought, guess I didn't see them.

You mean they are on the inside when you open the lid at the hinge.

Doh!
I missed this pic...

attachment.php

I had the same issue first time I tried...no DIY back then, but had buddies that had found the process in '05.

The screws are NOT accessible from inside the door. You need to get to them horizontally from the outside edge of the panel you are trying to remove over the door.

Yeah, I'll bet most of us hunted those things the first time we pulled tupperware.
Got to get down low enough to look under and see them..

I think some BMW designers must get preverse pleasure from their hidden fasteners- many of the bikes have at least one that is hard to see. We could start a trivia contest about which tupperware fastener is the best hidden. I think I'd vote for the side plastic one on the later R1100S. Often one sees the plastic mount broken because the tupperware was pulled off without removing that fastener- but they can generally be repaired by epoxy back to the panel...

I think I'd vote for the side plastic one on the later R1100S. Often one sees the plastic mount broken because the tupperware was pulled off without removing that fastener- but they can generally be repaired by epoxy back to the panel...

Ours was broken on the 11S as well, and of the three I have worked on for club members, all had one broken off on that behind the badge well hidden mount.

While doing an oil and filter change yesterday I also replaced the air filter on my RT. All went well thanks to the DIY sub-forum. All went well that is, until my T25 tool slipped and fell down between the outer side of the glove box tank and the snorkel. The darn thing must have gone to the fifth dimension or someplace where all the other dropped tools and hardware items go. I looked all over the bike's nooks and crannies using a flash light and poking around everywhere my hands would reach and never did find it. Looked at every inch of the garage floor and under cabinets, etc. with no luck. Where does this stuff go?:dunno

While doing an oil and filter change yesterday I also replaced the air filter on my RT. All went well thanks to the DIY sub-forum. All went well that is, until my T25 tool slipped and fell down between the outer side of the glove box tank and the snorkel. The darn thing must have gone to the fifth dimension or someplace where all the other dropped tools and hardware items go. I looked all over the bike's nooks and crannies using a flash light and poking around everywhere my hands would reach and never did find it. Looked at every inch of the garage floor and under cabinets, etc. with no luck. Where does this stuff go?:dunno

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I now hold onto my tools with much more care. It's amazing to me how many inaccessible crevices, crannies, and cavities there are on these bikes just waiting to swallow small things and deliver them into oblivion.

Back