• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 RT With No Problem?

ff73148

Frank Ferrante
I sit and read posting from riders with the same problems. Oil consumption, bluetooth radio issues, bike won't start, etc. My RT doesn't burn oil, my Sena paired with no problem and it starts every time. The only problem I have is that I have a Garmin Zumo 450 and I don't hear turn by turn directions. And that is because I don't see any reason to invest in a new Garmin. Are there any other trouble free RT's out there?

Yes, my 2011 has been trouble free (except it won't start on cold mornings, 30's, after being left outside in 20 degree temps). Just rode it 7000 miles across the country and back and it was flawless, except for the cold temp starting. BTW the battery has been checked twice and shows no problem. May be just cold oil and a tight new engine.

Larry

Just when I was about to start a thread with ?½No problem?? as the main topic. Thank you.

2012 RT with 13,000 kms, no problem, beside one faulty battery and one flaky paint brake liquid reservoir cover. Both replaced under warranty. That's all. So far.

Yes, my 2011 has been trouble free (except it won't start on cold mornings, 30's, after being left outside in 20 degree temps). Just rode it 7000 miles across the country and back and it was flawless, except for the cold temp starting. BTW the battery has been checked twice and shows no problem. May be just cold oil and a tight new engine.

Larry

Do you pull in the clutch when starting the engine? It might help.

I'll play

08, 17,000, one fuel strip at the 600 mile mark.

Of course I just retired so I probably just jinxed myself. :german

problems

2012 RT approaching 23K and no issues at all. Just got off of it after a nice ride today.

Problem Free 2011 R1200RT

I sit and read posting from riders with the same problems. Oil consumption, bluetooth radio issues, bike won't start, etc. My RT doesn't burn oil, my Sena paired with no problem and it starts every time. The only problem I have is that I have a Garmin Zumo 450 and I don't hear turn by turn directions. And that is because I don't see any reason to invest in a new Garmin. Are there any other trouble free RT's out there?

Like you, my 2011RT has been absolutely trouble free. It doesn't burn any oil, hasn't missed a beat, ESA II works perfectly, and my BMW GPS syncs just fine with my Schuberth C3 helmet. I love it!

My 2011 burned a little oil but abruptly stopped at 12,000 miles when the fuel float stopped working. It's a machine. Things break sometimes.

Joel

Interesting to me how won't start below a certain temperature and only a new shock and computer is viewed as trouble free on bikes which have barely even been ridden. I think the failure rate on these motorcycles (including mine just returned from the 2nd tow in for major failure) atrocious. I would love to see some real data on failures. The reliability is not there any more. Glad to hear someone is having luck but frankly it's luck to not have a late model RT having major issues. Then there are the folks who don't ride and think their bike is reliable. My bike would be great if I brought it home, put it under the cover and let it sit. Never been more disappointed in any purchase I have ever made.

9,000 miles and absolutley no problems. Burned a little oil in the beginning, but since about 5,000 miles oil has been stable.

I bought my 2011 R1200RT 1/17/12. So far, I have put 19,000 miles on it and the only problem that I have had was a loose cam chain tensioner which showed itself in the form of a small oil leak.

I sold my 2005 R1200RT with around 110k miles on it. Only problem that it ever had during those miles was a bad fuel strip (once).

2011 RT with 6k, still sipping oil. It does sob at times from not getting enough attention from me.

Usually we post on here when we have problems. Has anybody ever started a thread to say their final drive was fine? Sometimes I get a bit worried when I see all the "It's Broken" thread titles but I have to believe that most RTs (or whatever else we ride) are pretty much trouble free.

Back