Thread: 2011 RT With No Problem?

Hybrid View

Frank Ferrante

2011 RT With No Problem?

I sit and read posting from riders with the same problems. Oil consumption, bluetooth radio issues, bike won't start, etc. My RT doesn't burn oil, my Sena paired with no problem and it starts every time. The only problem I have is that I have a Garmin Zumo 450 and I don't hear turn by turn directions. And that is because I don't see any reason to invest in a new Garmin. Are there any other trouble free RT's out there?
    Frank Ferrante
    2011 BMW R1200RT
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

Yes, my 2011 has been trouble free (except it won't start on cold mornings, 30's, after being left outside in 20 degree temps). Just rode it 7000 miles across the country and back and it was flawless, except for the cold temp starting. BTW the battery has been checked twice and shows no problem. May be just cold oil and a tight new engine.

Larry

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by royaltyl View Post
    Yes, my 2011 has been trouble free (except it won't start on cold mornings, 30's, after being left outside in 20 degree temps). Just rode it 7000 miles across the country and back and it was flawless, except for the cold temp starting. BTW the battery has been checked twice and shows no problem. May be just cold oil and a tight new engine.

Larry
    Do you pull in the clutch when starting the engine? It might help.

I do. And it has had 10W-50 and 10W-40 oil in it, when it wouldn't start.

Mine has been trouble free since the rear shock & the ABS computer have been replaced
    2011 R1200RT, 75 R90S, 2009 Suzuki DR650, 70 R75 Race, Vintage Kneeler sidecar R75 powered

10,000 miles on my '09 and 1 Fuel Strip.

Flawless otherwise!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Hammam

Thumbs up

Just when I was about to start a thread with ?┬ŻNo problem?? as the main topic. Thank you.

2012 RT with 13,000 kms, no problem, beside one faulty battery and one flaky paint brake liquid reservoir cover. Both replaced under warranty. That's all. So far.

Problem Free 2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I sit and read posting from riders with the same problems. Oil consumption, bluetooth radio issues, bike won't start, etc. My RT doesn't burn oil, my Sena paired with no problem and it starts every time. The only problem I have is that I have a Garmin Zumo 450 and I don't hear turn by turn directions. And that is because I don't see any reason to invest in a new Garmin. Are there any other trouble free RT's out there?
    Like you, my 2011RT has been absolutely trouble free. It doesn't burn any oil, hasn't missed a beat, ESA II works perfectly, and my BMW GPS syncs just fine with my Schuberth C3 helmet. I love it!

My 2011 burned a little oil but abruptly stopped at 12,000 miles when the fuel float stopped working. It's a machine. Things break sometimes.

Joel

Interesting to me how won't start below a certain temperature and only a new shock and computer is viewed as trouble free on bikes which have barely even been ridden. I think the failure rate on these motorcycles (including mine just returned from the 2nd tow in for major failure) atrocious. I would love to see some real data on failures. The reliability is not there any more. Glad to hear someone is having luck but frankly it's luck to not have a late model RT having major issues. Then there are the folks who don't ride and think their bike is reliable. My bike would be great if I brought it home, put it under the cover and let it sit. Never been more disappointed in any purchase I have ever made.

9,000 miles and absolutley no problems. Burned a little oil in the beginning, but since about 5,000 miles oil has been stable.
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

I bought my 2011 R1200RT 1/17/12. So far, I have put 19,000 miles on it and the only problem that I have had was a loose cam chain tensioner which showed itself in the form of a small oil leak.

I sold my 2005 R1200RT with around 110k miles on it. Only problem that it ever had during those miles was a bad fuel strip (once).

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    Usually we post on here when we have problems. Has anybody ever started a thread to say their final drive was fine? Sometimes I get a bit worried when I see all the "It's Broken" thread titles but I have to believe that most RTs (or whatever else we ride) are pretty much trouble free.
    Dover, NH

2014 BMW R1200GS Racing Red