Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rescue project '74 75/6

Another rescue project '74 75/6

Well, went and picked this up from same owner I got the R69S from. He finally decided it needed a real home as well and wasn't going to do anything with it other than look at it.

Original owners grandson has been sitting on it since '86...ran it for about 6K in 2000 and replaced a few things that year. Hasn't run since he moved it back to TX from CA when he got out of the service.
    It needs some TLC to say the least. Original owner kept records until last tires and service in 1979 with 18K miles...it has almost 21K on it now.

First thing will be yanking the Windjammer off and letting it go to someone else who could use it.It has a Wixom topcase and two sets of sidecases that were in the barn as well.

Not sure if it's a keeper yet. The 69S has my attention at the moment and my $$$.
    Last edited by henzilla; 10-24-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: remove ad reference...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Someone just posted they were looking for a topcase like that!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Looks to be in nice shape. Engine cases look great compared to my rescue baby.

Low miles and decent storage I guess...the paint needs some compounding for sure!

Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Look at the patina on those naturally-aged badges!

Good Luck with all of those projects.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

And a "early" '74 at that ... welded insert in the swing arm tube.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

No good at all. . .

Let me be the first (on this thread) to say that you should get rid of that horrid machine just as soon as possible. . .not worth anything, really. Just set it out in front of your house, and "somebody" will pick it up so you don't have to pay to have it hauled off. . .Same goes for that crappy R69S. . .

Old jokes are the best, right? Kinda like old bikes.

Seriously -- a nice find, and resurrecting these is sacred duty, all the way. Meant to be ridden, and not just looked at in the dim and dusty light of a barn.

Walking Eagle
    Last edited by Walking Eagle; 10-25-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add/l mirth

Funny, Walking Eagle... no setting it out on the curb , the dirt floor it was sitting on the past few years was bad enough!

Took the Windjammer off and the rear rack. Worked a little rubbing compound and wax on the paint , steel wool on the surface rust on some of the old chrome.
    Emptied the very stale fuel out and will get a battery to see if it will fire up.
    Then a major service ( the first since 1979 from the meticulous records), tires and the fun begins.

Helen said it looks way better than it did upon arrival ...she said she would ride it when ready

Steve Henson

Looks great! you will have a fine machine once you've serviced her.
    You should also pull the gas tank and clean/service/replace seals in the master cylinder. I have 74 R60 and the MC was leaking when I first got her. Got the rebuild kit from Max BMW and all is fine now.
    Are you keeping the side cases? I have that wixcom top case, and would love to get the matching side cases if you'd like to pass them on!

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by katcon85 View Post
    R60 and the MC
    Does. Not. Compute.

Good work thus far, henzilla. Looks better than my barn-find '74's before and after I got them running.

Thank you for taking that fairing off, now the bike looks like was meant to be, beautiful.

Wayne

P Monk

white is almost as good as black

hope you have the aluminum turn signals for the front and the t.s. stems were not sawed off to make the jammer fit. Really classy looking bike! Well never mind I looked at the first picture again and see they were mounted on the fairing.
    Last edited by dpmonk; 10-26-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: update
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

yeah, the front stalks got chopped, leaving about three inches sticking out...I'll do something about that in time. I was happy the stock headlight was intact behind the fairing.
    Small steps...my battery delivery didn't happen today, so I moved on to another project.
    Steve Henson

Bar Backs

Pretty radical bar backs,now easily seen with the fairing removed.A lot of us used them back in the day to provide clearance for the controls.My brother-in-law let me try his new to him R90/6 with the same fairing and the first parking lot tight left turn almost put me over the bars when the front brake lever made contact!Be really careful not to scrape the tank when removing it (DAMHIK).I love the look of a nekked airhead-you found yourself a honey!

Cheers,Russ

I hadn't noticed the barbacks...they sort of look like something for the R26 or R27. The pre '70 bikes had risers that look like this and one trick for clearing the larger tanks (Heinrich, etc.) with the standard bars on the R69S was to use risers from the singles.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!