• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I love my R1100RT !!

Mine is a bit chubby but we can work things out!:thumb

Attachments

• 2012-08-01_18-16-48_976.jpg
    2012-08-01_18-16-48_976.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 333
Brewmeister,
Nice paint job on the outer side cases and top case lid. They look good. I assume that it is a custom paint job, that they didn't come that way.

I like the different ways that folks use to make their motorcycles their own. A farkle here or a bit of paint there. Interesting. :thumb My 04RT with some Mariner Blue highlights. By the way, a great dancer also.

R1100rt

I just bought a 1999 1100 RT with 53K miles on it, glacier green. So far I love it. I will post pics when I get some.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about my 1100RT. It just "fits". Other than the seat that is! I think I might have a pinched nerve or a sciatic issue but the docs can't figure out why it hurts all the time. So I can't blame it on the bike. All my bikes cause me great PITA but I love riding em anyway!

Mine came with painted bags and top case also. They look great but very susceptible to scratches during close encounters with ... anything really.

Here she is on day two of ownership on the Tail Of The Dragon headed for Vancouver BC from Raleigh NC. Image captured by an auto cam on Oct 31, 2010. Must have had all of 6,500 miles on it by then. ;) Despite the time of year and distance from home I could not resist this bike. :thumb

Dragon22010.jpg

JHUDSON mine is Glacier Green also!I love this color! I also have an 85 K100RT that is glacier Green......

Sorry guys, R1100RTs were pretty, but the R1150RTs had the happy headlight. Think of it as a speed enhancement.:bolt

almost red

I love mine despite its almost-not-quite-red-i-suppose-technically-in-a-pinch-it's-red-but-the-italians-would-never-use-this-paint kinda red

Had my R11RT-P for sale, until today. I liked her from the moment I got her. Did some upgrades (Ohlins, PC3, Rick Mayer seat, Two Brothers Exhaust, CeeBailey Tall windscreen, driving lights, HID headlight) and she rides like a dream. But when I got the '10 R12 GSA, I just could not justify keeping two Beemers. I finally let someone else ride her. Seeing and hearing her on the road from the outside point of view ... well, as I said, she was for sale, until today.

Had my R11RT-P for sale, until today. I liked her from the moment I got her. Did some upgrades (Ohlins, PC3, Rick Mayer seat, Two Brothers Exhaust, CeeBailey Tall windscreen, driving lights, HID headlight) and she rides like a dream. But when I got the '10 R12 GSA, I just could not justify keeping two Beemers. I finally let someone else ride her. Seeing and hearing her on the road from the outside point of view ... well, as I said, she was for sale, until today.

Evening Jim,
I know where you are coming from as I have 3 of these beasts and I can't seem to part with any of them. I put the '04 1150RT up foresale but I just couldn't do it. The picture of the pearl silver '94 R1100RSL is mine and you can just barely see the '81 R100RT and the blue 1150 in the background.

well, as I said, she was for sale, until today.

I know that feeling. I look at the latest/greatest that are out right now, then ride mine in the parking garage and listen to the growl or toss it around some curves. I'd have to be nuts to get rid of this one.

My 04 RT. What a great bike. I plan on riding her for a few more years, or if the RS makes a come back with the new wet head engine.

Attachments

• 4-10-10 Barns Wesport-Adamsville 007.jpg
    4-10-10 Barns Wesport-Adamsville 007.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 98
I rode a silver RSL like that for thirteen years. It remains one of the prettiest machines ever.

And she only has 1600 miles on her all put on since last February, if you can believe it. I might install new tires this winter but the original Bridgestones look like new. Best beemer I ever owned. I wish BMW had stayed with this model and just made small mods to make it into an RT and done little things like leave off the wind screen motor to keep weight low down. Would have been simple to create a more up-right seating position with just a bit more wind protection and kept the style the same. Kind of like they did when creating the RT from the R100RS. I remember in 1977 when my ride was an R75/7 and BMW introduced the R100RS in silver with blue pen stripping. The dealer displayed it at the county fair that year and lots of people fell in love, myself included.

I did some of that stuff on mine. Barbacks were helpful, and GS footplates dropped the pegs about three inches. That was just heaven! The stock seat was good for ~500 miles. All in all, it was the most comfortable bike I've ever had. The current R12R (lowered pegs and Rich's seat) is close, and when I get the aftermarket bars fitted that are now sitting on the workbench, it'll be good too, maybe better.

But it sure won't look as nice.

My Y2K 1100RT is poised to turn 100,000 (3rd bike back) and will do so next weekend if the weather does not turn too cold & wet.

The other RT in the picture is owned by a riding buddy and has well over 100 K on it.

They're not the sexiest oilheads by a long shot - that honor is shared by the RS, the R, and the Rockster.
And all that plastic is admittedly a PITA when it's time for maintenance.
But, every time I set out for a long ride - especially in dicey weather - I'm really glad it is mine.

Attachments

• Barber_trip_Dec_2011.jpg
    Barber_trip_Dec_2011.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 46
Back