• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rubber fuel line stuck tight

W

wnelms

I'm removing the tank on my 1997 R1100RT. In attempting to depressurize the fuel system I find the external rubber fuel line hoses are very stuck. I don't want to cause damage with force. Any suggestions or tricks short of cutting the rubber fuel line ends off? Attempts to twist the tubing off unsuccessful. Is it helpful / necessary to remove the right fuel injector?
Also if one were to install quick disconnects to make future tank removal easier where is the best place to put these? Brand and source suggestions for quick disconnects would be appreciated along with user experiences with them.

I'm removing the tank on my 1997 R1100RT. In attempting to depressurize the fuel system I find the external rubber fuel line hoses are very stuck. I don't want to cause damage with force. Any suggestions or tricks short of cutting the rubber fuel line ends off? Attempts to twist the tubing off unsuccessful. Is it helpful / necessary to remove the right fuel injector?
Also if one were to install quick disconnects to make future tank removal easier where is the best place to put these? Brand and source suggestions for quick disconnects would be appreciated along with user experiences with them.

Beemer Boneyard metal QDs and new external hose, yours sounds in need of replacement. What is the condition of the internal hose? Install the QDs above the Telelever bearing, alternate male and female so you don't mix up the connections. You can find photos of the install on 1150s.

another way to prevent miss-connecting the QDs is to stagger their locations. This allows for a more compact installation as they are not adjacent to each other.

Fix completed

Well I did end up cutting off the old stuck on rubber fuel lines in order to remove the fuel tank. These original fuel lines were bonded so tightly there was no non-destructive alternative. Found their interior surface layer essentially glued to their attachments.

The good news is that in reinstallation replaced these external fuel lines with new ones and added quick disconnects from Beemer bone yard on both. Their quick disconnects are of obvious high quality and installed easily.

Now future fuel tank removals for maintainence should be a comparative breeze.

;)

I'd love to see some photos of the Beemer Boneyard quick disconnects on an 1100RT. I could not make them fit comfortably on mine. The 90 degree turn after the fuel line hanger on the tank and then another 90 degree turn heading to the plastic fuel pipes leaves no room for them.

On a GS the fuel lines to straight to the plastic pipes and they work great. On my RT it's a different story.

I'd love to see some photos of the Beemer Boneyard quick disconnects on an 1100RT. I could not make them fit comfortably on mine. The 90 degree turn after the fuel line hanger on the tank and then another 90 degree turn heading to the plastic fuel pipes leaves no room for them.
I have the QDs on my 1100RT. I will take a photo next time the fairing comes off, probably a month or so as my next valve adjust and TB sync come up. But, your description is correct. My QDs are fitted into that area between those two 90 degree turns. You end up cutting away a lot of the existing fuel line so that the QDs make up for that fuel line length instead. There's a clip that holds the lines in place which I release when I have to push the disconnect button - this provides a little bit of needed play in the lines.

I have the QDs on my 1100RT. I will take a photo next time the fairing comes off, probably a month or so as my next valve adjust and TB sync come up. But, your description is correct. My QDs are fitted into that area between those two 90 degree turns. You end up cutting away a lot of the existing fuel line so that the QDs make up for that fuel line length instead. There's a clip that holds the lines in place which I release when I have to push the disconnect button - this provides a little bit of needed play in the lines.

Yeah that is where i have my brass ones. When I tried to replace them with the BB ones the extra length seemed too much to squeeze in there. I had problems re-connecting my first set of brass disconnects and the company sent me a replacement. Now they work fine but they worry me because I cannot change the o ring seal inside without basically destroying them. At some point I want to put the BB ones on which are serviceable external O rings.

Back