• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tired of riding?

Could be the RT. I had an RT and switched to an R. After riding the R, I realized that the RT, for me, was a bit difficult to ride. Too tall, too heavy, much too top heavy. Maybe a smaller, easier to ride bike will light your riding fires again.
I think you have hit on something. Unless I plan on riding at least 200 miles I take my Triumph. The Triumph is just so easy to ride. As I get older smaller bikes are more appealing.

Having only 1 bike is a drag.

The RT is a pretty fair all around bike but for crowded town stuff, an R or something a bit more agile is more fun. I prefer my RT on trips but there's a K-RS and a K-GT in the garage for faster play and the SOs R1100S, too- that she likes me to ride once in a while to verify its in good shape and ready for our next trip (am her mechanic, of course).

I'd prescribe any way of adding variety to get interest. Do longer rides as social events rather than solo, play with other toys, go really different places, etc.

Got my own version of riding frustration but sort of the reverse. Am finally retired with all the resources and time to do as I choose- but have some medical issues interfering with the most ambitious targets so at least for a while have to settle for weekend rallies and rides rather than mutli-week or multi-month jaunts. Pisser but one just adjusts...Debating whether to a Christmas fishing trip to the tropics instead...

Oh man I used to have an '04 K-GT. Just the sound of that bike got my juices flowing! I had some shoulder and neck issues that forced me to sell it. I just couldn't get comfortable anymore. Christmas fishing sounds pretty good to me!

Echoing other posters, I am 52, lifelong motorcyclist, ridden UJM'S to Harleys to BMW's. Had a K100RT, great touring bike, but my riding is commuting 25mi each way with no highway, and 50 to 300 mile pleasure rides. I sold the K100 and financially cant buy a BMW right now, so I found a 82 Suzuki GS650E on Craigslist for $500. I bought it as a short term bike but found a light weight mid sized bike can be a lot of fun. It is big enough to ride the highway if I need and lots of fun on the back roads. Has made me a fan of mid sized bikes. Now I dont know what I want, G650GS, F800R, or GS, R65. The "nice" thing is after unexpectedly replacing my truck last month and my daughter getting braces next week I will have lots of time to decide.

This is easy

Get a job again working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. After about two weeks you will be thinking of nothing else but riding.:stick

I transfer my need for speed to alpine ski racing in the winter months and Buck Hill is my race course. After a few months of 306 vertical feet banging gates the thoughts of arching the back roads on the RT become strong and a early spring is welcomed!
Before long the cabin needs to be opened, get the boat ready and hit the lake for the fishing opener. Once the cabin is ready my riding time dwindles and all is good until the fishing gets slow and I hear the groups riding past our lake and that fires me up again knowing fall riding is not far off. I get in some great rides during the fall and that takes me to snowfall, then my thoughts prepare me to strap on the race boards, put the padded suit on and hit the race course!
This routine has kept me going for years and other than the work involved with each equipment changeover I hope to keep it up while the body parts are still intact!
:kbasa

Interesting and very good points everyone. I'm thinking that I'll winterize it in a few weeks and just put it away for awhile.

I usually try to keep riding throughout the winter season as long as the roads are clear, but I think the time away might be what I need.

Hopefully when spring comes, I'll feel that old fire to go riding again!

Thanks

I notice that you have recently retired. Guess what, in many cases things that we enjoyed doing when working are no longer of interest to us once we have the time to do whatever we want. The reason is - we did those things when working as a stress reliever or filler to take our minds off work. I am no different. I was heavily involved in photography as a hobby away from work and once I retired and had lots of time to devote to photography, I totally lost interest and moved on.

Its just the stages that we go through in life, and one has to adjust.

I'm about a year and a half from retirement, so I find the comments on that change in life interesting. Up here we can't ride all year, on the street anyway, so there is always a time to put the bikes away and take that break. I hope to get a few more miles on mine this fall, but it's been a relatively long riding season this year and I will feel ready to put it up for the winter when the snow and ice arrive. That excitement of the first ride will be there in the spring.

I notice that you have recently retired. Guess what, in many cases things that we enjoyed doing when working are no longer of interest to us once we have the time to do whatever we want. The reason is - we did those things when working as a stress reliever or filler to take our minds off work. I am no different. I was heavily involved in photography as a hobby away from work and once I retired and had lots of time to devote to photography, I totally lost interest and moved on.

Its just the stages that we go through in life, and one has to adjust.

+1

I've a whole shop of woodworking equipment that I bought over a 30 year career and a very long list of furniture projects that I promised my wife would be done after retirement. Seven months after "freedom day", I've not been able to make myself start a single new project. Somehow, when every day is Saturday, I feel no sense of urgency. I have not given up though. Cold weather and wet, slushy, sloppy roads are coming - a cozy warm shop may still prove attractive.

I'm also a life long woodworker & like the warm & fuzzy shop but the wood dust has taken it's toll, so it seems. My house is already full of furniture self made. No interest in making money on woodworking as my CTS wouldn't allow me to turn out stuff at that level. My lungs function well by actual test but I've got a number of "senior allergies" I never had before! I do get in a bit of trouble as my bike projects seem to get in the way of woods stuff these days as the dust & paint work don't mix... My wife feels wood is a more justifiable line of work than vintage bikes.
One of my "retirement problems" is trying to find labor(to work alongside me) to get my back a rest & me into my hobbies more often. Have you tried to find someone to work lately? Especially a teen. LOL!

I have to admit that the adjustment to retirement was surprisingly more difficult than I expected. We all have so many dreams about what we'll do when we finally cut the leash.

And on the whole I'm finally enjoying it so much more. It was just a matter of finding new routines. Coffee and the paper ( out on the deck when the weather cooperates ), the gym for an hour or two 3 times a week, meeting friends for lunch or dinner a few times. And then of course some fishing or hunting, a round of golf, photo excursions and some rides.

It's all good, I'm just surprised by my riding. I'm thinking that in the Spring I'll probably get the urge again. I'm already looking at maps and daydreaming of destinations so it's probably not over yet! :whistle

I worked Carpentry and Home Building for nearly 30 years, and Fire Fighting for 25 so I understand about finding good help these days! Holy Crap these kids are out there.

Got a 19 yr old coming Friday.We'll see how that works. Get of your butt(so to speak:laugh) & ride to MX with me this winter!!!

Good luck ! Maybe he'll turn out to be the cream of the crop instead of the cream of the crap! Mexico sounds like a great winter trip!

Well here's the thing, I've been doing this since I was a kid and I think I may have finally lost my moto mojo after 45+ years of bikes. Strangest thing, all I've ever wanted to do was ride, tour and live the motorcycle life.

Now that I've retired and riding is available to me whenever I want to go, I seem to have lost the desire and interest. It's nearing the end of the season here in the North East, and after nearly 6000 miles of day trips and tours this season, the last few rides have just kind of been going through the motions. I often find myself thinking I'd rather play golf or go fishing!

Have you ever felt that it might be over? :dunno

Not over yet, but I can see the end approaching...

Next summer will be my 50th riding motorcycles, I've had some damned good times and really appreciate how the experiences have enriched my life.

But...I do find less and less interest as the years go by. It's also become a bit physically challenging (after 9 heart surgeries) to the point that I've pretty much become a fair weather rider. Living on the west side of the Puget Sound, that results in a pretty short season.

So, I'm currently thinking that I'll attend the national rally in Salem next year, then put some serious consideration in to selling my 11S. I'd much rather quit on my own terms rather than be 'forced' into the decision.

OTOH, the bike is completely paid for, so maybe I'll just keep it in the garage as a decorative piece! In all my years of riding, this bike is by far the best machine I've ever had....:bow

Cheers!:drink

Bob; Understand your feelings. Riding a bike since 1968. Also now riding a 1100 Rt. This bike is great for travel but a little short on soul. Took a short break due to work but also reviving a 77 100/7. Winters are long in the ADK mountains so I have 4 months to complete. Now crazy to ride the old airhead. Advice: try a different bike; something that moves the spirit. Good luck.

Wow; been reading the posts in reply to Bob's disinterest dilemma. Seems like a trend here of retired carpenters and firefighters. Me too but also EMT and 5 years til I even think of retiring. The advice was great; take a break, try something different and stop with the pressure to ride. We all do this for fun (Unless someone can tell me how to make a living riding a bike) so if its not fun... why?

Interesting...I'd not noticed that demographic. I've never been a carpenter, (but my step-dad was), but I did manage 26 years in the fire service....:drink

Over 50 years riding and retired 6 years. Took me a while to realize I am retired and not on holiday.
Not as gung ho for short trips but have taken a couple of long ones (8 weeks and 3 weeks) and didnt want to quit.
I think in the future I might get a smaller bike ( have an 1150 gs now). Maybe a Royal Enfield.

I've put in my request to retire effective 28 Dec 2012. After the Rally in Salem, OR I will probably look into a lighter ride maybe the new 800GT. Spare time will be at a premium as the SO has a large job jar but I can see several opportunities for 3>7 day trips up to TN, N GA, NC, WV, IN, OH, and VA. Can't wait for the New Year. I started riding in 1968 and the desire to ride has increased over the last few years. I hope to make the most of it. RIDE SAFE

Rp - Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Thanks for your service. :bow

OldBeemer - Yeah there seems to be a bunch of us here! Love the 'Dacks, I've been looking at houses up there on and off for awhile now. What a beautiful part of the Country to live, I'm envious! Do you follow Joe's thread in the ADV site "The adirondacks and beyond" in the day tripper section?

That guy is a magician with a camera! :clap

Back