• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tired of riding?

Good advice everyone, and thanks. Maybe its just a phase, I found myself looking at maps and planning routes to Gettysburg, and checking the Blue Ridge Pkwy. brochure for distances and campground stops to continue on a springtime trip down to Asheville...

I think I will park it for awhile though, maybe I just need a break. I do find that the RT doesn't excite me very much, so that might be part of what's going on. While it's a great motorcycle for touring, it just doesn't have a lot of soul.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Yeah, riding a bike with some pizazz might help immensely. Of course you don't want to sacrifice too much comfort for trips, but maybe if you had another bike to rip around town on, or for day trips out into the local country lanes?

A late model (or vintage) Triumph would be great for this purpose... just to provide one example. Save the Big RT for distance riding and rallies. I was looking at (& drooling over) a new Triumph Sprint- but wound up with a 2002 K1200RS- because I knew my GF could/would ride on it, where I had no idea if she'd get on the Sprint. Maybe a Sport/Tourer would bring some excitement back into your ride? There are PLENTY of older bikes (and they don't have to be TOO old) for sale at any given moment. A late 90s or early 2000s model isn't going to break the bank, but might just renew the spirit.

Great Thread, Great Input. . .

+1 on getting an Airhead to play with -- both for riding and wrenching.

Small/medium size bike idea: Excellent, and you might find that wrestling it around the garage, etc., is a LOT easier than that RT. I've found that, as I age, one of the hardest things is just moving the bike(s) around the garage. No matter how hard we try, our "core" strength is going to diminish, thus reducing our ability to handle larger, heavier bikes, even w/o a short inseam. Perhaps a subtle thing, but no less real for that.

Retirement, a/k/a "Entire-ment" -- I've been "at" this for almost 12 years now, and it is something SO vastly different from a working life as to be impossible to describe to a working person. Trust me on this -- entirely different, and it may take a couple of years before the wonderment fully sinks in. As others have suggested, give it some time before making precipitous decisions (like selling your baby) -- you're in a very different space now versus the working life, and new interests and activities will ebb and flow according to the rules of the universe; impossible to predict.

It's the What Is, As Is.

Walking Eagle

+1 on getting an Airhead to play with -- both for riding and wrenching.

Small/medium size bike idea: Excellent, and you might find that wrestling it around the garage, etc., is a LOT easier than that RT. I've found that, as I age, one of the hardest things is just moving the bike(s) around the garage. No matter how hard we try, our "core" strength is going to diminish, thus reducing our ability to handle larger, heavier bikes, even w/o a short inseam. Perhaps a subtle thing, but no less real for that.

It's the What Is, As Is.

Walking Eagle

Hey brother, have you ever tried Pilates? it's specifically geared towards increasing and maintaining core strength. Never too late to get into it, dontcha know.

OK Hijack over- back to the thread.... :type

Have you ever felt that it might be over?

Unless you can hit the road for a month of touring and see new places, day rides around the patch gets to be a bit boring after a while. In fact, I haven't but a single kilometer on my local motorcycles in three summers. The Alps are the reason, and after eighteen straight summers there, I'm not bored yet...I doubt I ever will be.

Tired of Riding

Maybe you need a 25-year old girlfriend that enjoys motorcycling as much as you once did to keep you interested? Might help to keep your motor running!

Kent

Rp - Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Thanks for your service. :bow

OldBeemer - Yeah there seems to be a bunch of us here! Love the 'Dacks, I've been looking at houses up there on and off for awhile now. What a beautiful part of the Country to live, I'm envious! Do you follow Joe's thread in the ADV site "The adirondacks and beyond" in the day tripper section?

That guy is a magician with a camera! :clap

Have you considered looking west in northcentral PA for a house? Prices might be better....

As I and others noted. It seems to be the short / local rides that are less exciting first. I still enjoy travel / longer trips. Have become somewhat of a museum rat lately.
Considering the National Air & Space museum this spring. And [if] N/York is back to normal? perhaps the Billy Joel museum on Long Island as well. Always wanted to ride to the end of L/Island, just haven't..yet.

For the more local stuff. Been thinking about either another old Air-Head, or maybe an older Harley...always liked Pans.

I have two Metric cruisers to sell first, just to free up some cash, and gain some garage space .

The Billy Joel place is cool, but Motorcyclepedia up in Newburgh, NY is really the place if your into a motorcycle museum! The Cannonball Rally left from there this year, what a spectacle!

I bought an HD Superglide after some neck and shoulder injuries forced me to sell my '04 K1200GT a couple of years ago. I just couldn't handle the sport touring position any longer. It was nice, but really wasn't my kind of bike so I sold that and bought the RT this year.

The 25 year old might be a little too young, Interesting idea, but still too crazy! Maybe a 35 year old....:whistle

Not yet, but my other passions are gaining ground.
There was a time, from my late teens until my early forties when riding was the most important thing in my life. A wife, kids and a renewed passion for music has begun to push motorcycles to the sideline.
I used to ride 25-30K km per year, now I'm down to 3-5k km. That would have bothered me in the past, but now it seems normal. I work, spend alot of time with my wife and kids (frequently in the sidecar), sing in a blues band, play guitar, ski, etc...
Something has to give.
I believe I will always ride both two and three wheel bikes but probably less than I had planned.
I always planned on buying a brand new bike (never had one) when I retired, but now I'm thinking a custom guitar would get more use...
I love bikes...but I also love my life!
speed safely

The Billy Joel place is cool, but Motorcyclepedia up in Newburgh, NY is really the place if your into a motorcycle museum! The Cannonball Rally left from there this year, what a spectacle!

I bought an HD Superglide after some neck and shoulder injuries forced me to sell my '04 K1200GT a couple of years ago. I just couldn't handle the sport touring position any longer. It was nice, but really wasn't my kind of bike so I sold that and bought the RT this year.

The 25 year old might be a little too young, Interesting idea, but still too crazy! Maybe a 35 year old....:whistle

Are we still talking motorcycles?:brow

I'll look into that other museum, maybe see them both while up that way.

Ever been to Barber?

Yes, I suppose it may be time for many of us to move on from a "sport bike" that can be ridden fast and get an "adventure bike" you can take anywhere!

Kent

Are we still talking motorcycles?:brow

I'll look into that other museum, maybe see them both while up that way.

Ever been to Barber?

Not yet,

I'm planning on doing a tour of Gettysburg in the spring. If time and weather allows, I might just continue down the BRP to see that one.

Bob

Tired of ridding

Go play golf...go fishing...good to have other outs....

For me winter is all about skiing...gives me time to reflect on the past season ridding look at the pics...

Not yet,

I'm planning on doing a tour of Gettysburg in the spring. If time and weather allows, I might just continue down the BRP to see that one.

Bob

Late response [sorry] If you make it to Barber, you will not be disappointed,I promise. Since you're doing the BRP, @ Maggie Valley I highly recommend the Wheels Through Time museum . Again you will like it!!

Just retired? Hmmm. . . .

Don't get offended, but . . . what if it's you, not motorcycling? A lot of men slip unawares into depression when they retire. It manifests itself as lethargy and loss of interest in the things that used to bring pleasure. It's usually temporary provided the individual makes a good adjustment to retirement. Some of us can't. After three years I'm struggling against a sense of feeling that I've outlived my value to the world. It's subtle; above the neck I realize it's ridiculous; below the neck is sometimes a different story.

Just a thought.

"What you said" about age and smaller bikes

I think you have hit on something. Unless I plan on riding at least 200 miles I take my Triumph. The Triumph is just so easy to ride. As I get older smaller bikes are more appealing.

Almost at the same time I bought a 2005 K1200 LT and got a Moto Guzzi EV11 running, and I find the Guzzi more fun on short runs -- but I'm very pleased with my "move up" from my Valkyrie to the LT for longer rides and touring.

Thank you, rinty

Don't know if you caught this earlier thread on retirement. It's pretty good:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?57568-Retirement!!!

Apart from concerns over whether they have anything left to contribute, some folks just need the stimulation of ongoing work.

No, I had not seen that thread, being new here. 40427's contribution most closely resembles my situation. My wife is still working, closing in on 50 years as an educator. She retired from a county system, was miserable, went back to work as an adjunct professor at a junior college, then got recruited as principal of a start-up charter school where she's been wonderfully successful. When she retires there I know she'll have to get a (relatively) low-stress classroom position in an elementary school -- "relatively" because of federal intrusion into regional and local education. She gives me kitchen passes for two- to four-day weekday rides. We both want to spend all the time we can with each other on weekends, and her exercise program and church attendance cut that down to one clear day, so while we ride together, its only day rides with rare exceptions.

When she does retire we're going to experience a very significant change in lifestyle. Like 40427, I'm very apprehensive about that; like his wife, my wife encourages me not to worry about it.

She and I are wired the same way: we have an inherent need to "contribute." I have most of my life, one way or another, but now --- I guess I haven't found the volunteer service that "fits." I guess I should keep looking.

Or sell cars at a "We tote the note" lot.

However, with the two new-to-me bikes, my interest in motorcycling is refreshing itself.

Back