• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
Don, I guess I wasn't very clear in my post about my float system fuel sensor. My question is, have any of these been reported as failing also? And should this be reported to the NHTSA? I am totally aware that I was wrong to not make sure my comments about the fuel sensor were documented when it was serviced, but I wonder is that really the customers' responsibility? Also, how does BMW expect to build brand loyalty/trust if they refuse to believe the customer? I even offered to split the cost of the repair with Hap's BMW (where I bought it) and was refused. Don Meek

Don, I guess I wasn't very clear in my post about my float system fuel sensor. My question is, have any of these been reported as failing also? And should this be reported to the NHTSA? I am totally aware that I was wrong to not make sure my comments about the fuel sensor were documented when it was serviced, but I wonder is that really the customers' responsibility? Also, how does BMW expect to build brand loyalty/trust if they refuse to believe the customer? I even offered to split the cost of the repair with Hap's BMW (where I bought it) and was refused. Don Meek

I doubt that there have been chronic issues with the float system. I think your complaint has merit, and without any additional information I would vote for a warranty repair if I had a vote. The best way to approach dealer refusals for a reasonable remedy is to call BMWNA Customer Service. They usually make some compromise such as the one you offered to your unsympathetic dealer.

Here's the blurb from BMWNA...

"Contact Us

Since the first one rolled out back in 1923 we have been building motorcycles for real riders. You, with your love of the ride and high standards for performance, have driven us to keep innovating, keep refining, keep improving. So if you have something to say, good or bad, we want to hear it.

Call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the automated voice prompts. There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST Monday-Thursday, and 9:00AM - 6:00PM EST Fridays. If someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message.

You may also reach our Customer Service Department by sending email to CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

We will get back to you as soon as possible."

It depends on the phase of the moon in my experience, but the procedure for remedy is in place and you should try using it.

I have all ready done that. their reply was the same. since it is out of warranty when it finally went completely whacky, (instead of being intermittent) there is nothing they could do. As I said, I love the bike, but the arrogant attitude of their customer service is very irritating

I have all ready done that. their reply was the same. since it is out of warranty when it finally went completely whacky, (instead of being intermittent) there is nothing they could do. As I said, I love the bike, but the arrogant attitude of their customer service is very irritating

Sorry to hear that. Might be a chore, but I'd have another go at them. Be nice though.

had4 mine replaced a couple weeks ago, intermittent on and off with no accuracy. now it works and thinks it is empty with a little less than what should be half a tank according to mileage...

had4 mine replaced a couple weeks ago, intermittent on and off with no accuracy. now it works and thinks it is empty with a little less than what should be half a tank according to mileage...

Our '08 RS had it replaced and it thinks it's full with less than half a tank...

fialure #2 appears to have arrived

09 RT, first failure June 2011 at about 6500 mi. Replaced under warranty (duh). Second failure 2 days ago at about 68,000 mi. (Guess I was lucky to have gotten 5+ years and 60,000 miles out of the replacement.) Pulled out of driveway with about 1/2 tank and range showing ~140 mi. In the space of a few seconds, fuel level dropped to 'non-existent' and range showed zip. Interestingly, after a 20 mile ride and pulling down my steep drive to my garage, fuel level shot back up to full (also inaccurate as I had not added any) and range bounced up to ~290. This is different from my first failure where the fuel indicator never left zero once it failed. Will fill up and see what happens next. Perhaps it will come back to life and give me another 60k.

I sure hope I am not jinking myself.

2011 / R1200RT / 50861 miles never replaced. Do not know if it makes any difference but I only use BP premium and very, very rarely ever park it with less than a full tank.

2010 R1200RT - replaced under US Warranty

Just had it replaced at 96400 miles/154240km. Not sure if this was the first one or not on this bike, as I am not the original owner.

replacement completed-no optimism from dealer about longevity

09 RT, first failure June 2011 at about 6500 mi. Replaced under warranty (duh). Second failure 2 days ago at about 68,000 mi. (Guess I was lucky to have gotten 5+ years and 60,000 miles out of the replacement.) Pulled out of driveway with about 1/2 tank and range showing ~140 mi. In the space of a few seconds, fuel level dropped to 'non-existent' and range showed zip. Interestingly, after a 20 mile ride and pulling down my steep drive to my garage, fuel level shot back up to full (also inaccurate as I had not added any) and range bounced up to ~290. This is different from my first failure where the fuel indicator never left zero once it failed. Will fill up and see what happens next. Perhaps it will come back to life and give me another 60k.

As stated above, I got 60,000+ miles on first replacement before the recent failure. In looking over my OCD records, seems my first failure occurred at 3600 miles but the replacement was done at 6000 miles when i had scheduled service during a x-country trip. Repair done yesterday under the extended warranty and service guy remarked to the effect 'Wow, you got 60,000 miles out of that replacement? That's gotta be a record.' He went on to say that it was not unusual for them to see guys bringing their bikes back in 3 or 4 months for another after the replacement fails.

Me? I'm hoping for another 5 years and 60k out of this one.

I'm sure it's posted elsewhere in this lengthy thread but just in case it's buried. Here's a link to the service bulletin extending to 12 years warranty coverage of this item for 2005-2013 R and K bikes: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM506962/SB-10056106-7277.pdf

5 so far

2012 R1200R with about 29k on it, I bought the bike through a dealer, but later met the PO and got the full story. The PO told me he had the original fuel strip, plus 3 replacements. It got replaced a 4th time when the dealer had it. That strip failed within 1000 miles, and its been bad for about 4,000 miles since. I need to get it in.

I realize this will seem repetitive - but.. haven't seen any mention of reports to DOT/NHTSA, so:

You can find the instructions right here: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64037-Fuel-strip-poll&p=858929&viewfull=1#post858929

I'd suggest reporting each and every failure. Lesser brands have been mandated by DOT to issue a recall to correct this exact sort of fuel-readout failure, since it would obviously be dangerous if it failed on a highway with heavy traffic and you can't coast off to the side of the road.

I think the only way that BMW will actually resolve the fuel strip problem IS if DOT requires it. According to a knowledgeable mechanic I was talking to - his feeling was with the correct float assembly - and perhaps a bit of intermediate circuitry - a float assembly could be made to operate with our existing displays and on-board-computer. BMW hasn't been motivated to do this. As in most corporate cultures - economic decisions seem to be the rule. The way to make BMW want to fix (not simply warranty new defective product) the problem is to make it economically attractive to them. A mandated recall would seem to be the key to doing that. Eventually the 12 year extended warranty WILL run out - and knowing BMW owners - a lot of these bikes will still be serving their owners at that point. If there isn't a recall - the warranty conclusion will hit people right in their wallets - and it's not that far off for the first year fuel-strip bikes.

About to get another fuel strip. This one just completely died. It shows no gas at all and the little gas pump plus yellow triangle are flashing. Meanwhile I just filled up so that's not real. This will be the third fix with approximately four hours wait for each fix. My bill out rate is about $250 per hour so I estimate that I have lost about $3000 just waiting for BMW to ineptly repair a problem.

Hey BMW, fix this damn problem.

Fifth failure yesterday, one year after last replacement

2008RT

Dealer told me BMW now warranties them for 12 years, so no cost this time!

'09 RT Fuel strip

bought used Oct '16, original fuel strip replaced already, and twice after fill up it won't register any gas for a short while, then starts working again. Then, a few weeks ago, I ran out of gas with the gauge reading over 1/4 full. I now reset the trip odometer at each fill up. :)

I'll report an even odder occurrence. I'm on fuel strip #3 or 4 on my '12 R1200R. Would have to open my notes to determine the number - but it doesn't really matter. On the R1200R - I noticed that the strip goes directly under the fuel filler hole in the tank. If one stuck in a nozzle without a vapor recovery boot (which appears to be a NJ only thing now - after my trip across the US and back) far enough you would hit the fuel strip with the nozzle. When the last one failed, I chatted a bit with a very savvy tech at my FLD about putting a splash guard over the strip below the filler hole. He came up with using a small panel cut out of an oil bottle (figuring it's probably pretty fuel resistant) and holding it to the strip using a few tie-wraps.

All was well and good - except the new strip exhibited a behavior I'd not seen before in my history of 10-12 failed strips (had an '07 R1200R too - it got a strip per year minimum).. when the tank showed about 60 miles remaining - the fuel level indicator would suddenly drop to empty and the warning light came on. It wasn't enough of a bother to make me take it back, so I'd been living with it for the past 6-7 months.

On my trip from NJ to CA - suddenly the strip started behaving "normally" - and actually quite accurately. It stopped blanking the fuel level at 60 miles remaining - and would count down right to 5 miles remaining (I finally found gas - whew!) It's been working fine ever since.

It appears something about riding out of NJ made it decide to behave. I did find chains of fuel stations in the corn-belt states that had non-ethanol gasoline (does anyone else find this a tad ironic?) so maybe that had something to do with it - but what is beyond my comprehension. The bike and rider did enjoy the booze-free gas - bike runs a lot better on it.

Knocking on oak-grain-formica(tm) I just hope it stays this way for a long long time..

Interesting stuff appears on other forums once in a while. Over on the BMW Sport-Touring forum, a posting from a chap in Poland had some links to the BMW-Poland Club website, and a U-tube video - where he has designed a replacement for the "fuel strip" with a float-based replacement - that will work with our instrument clusters.

The links are:

BMW Sport-Touring Forum said:

If he could do this - BMW can do this. How can we get BMW to provide us with a working replacement? I'd once again suggest that everyone who reports a failed fuel strip here - also go to the NHTSA website and report it there. There are numerous cases of recalls being issued for other motorcycle brands suffering from the same sort of problem (failing fuel gauges) and even BMW cars.

The instructions on doing this are here in this thread, but in case you can't be bothered looking for them, here they are again:

Don Eilenberger said:
Here is what I filled out (after selecting the on-line form found at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) <---- LINK UPDATED 10/3/16

• VIN: Entered my VIN#
  • VEHICLE: BMW R 1200 R 2007 (this is on the drop down screen once you enter BMW.. it's down a ways.. look for your bike if it's not there use the ones that are there as a pattern to create a new model listing.)
  • APPROXIMATE DATE: I entered the date it first happened (as the instructions say to.)
  • CRASH: No
  • FIRE: No
  • FATALITY: No
  • VEHICLE MILEAGE: I put down the approximate mileage it first happened at
  • SPEED: I put down 65 for good luck.
  • AFFECTED PARTS: FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM <-- this is the important one. This is how the complaints get lost.
  • TELL US WHAT HAPPENED: Fuel gauge stopped responding, leading to running out of fuel while moving. This is a common failure on many bike models from BMW from 2005-2013. I have had this happen 5 times so far, and each time the fuel level measuring strip in the fuel tank was replaced. This is an unsafe condition since loss of engine power from running out of fuel can be quite dangerous on a motorcycle.

I then filled in my personal info.

My suggestion - if you've experienced the failure - take 10 minutes to fill in the form... it might just help, and it can't hurt. Fell free to ignore this if it doesn't seem reasonable to you.. and I have no delusions about getting a "Friend of the Marque" for posting this up.. If anyone wants to point the K bike forum (of models that used the fuel strip) to this post, please feel free to.

Reporting it here might make you feel better - reporting it to NHTSA can actually make something happen.

Back