• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
You're being too kind...

:dance

Jack,

I have known a few dealership employees who were less then accurate in transmitting information to the customer. I think this is caused by the "dealership blather" syndrome - where an employee of a dealership feels the need to appear all knowing, or knows the customer wants an answer and they don't want to disappoint them, so they simply make stuff up or parrot what they've heard around the shop.

I've had some "interesting" conversations with these employees. :)

I'd like to know what went on also and what was really wrong. I had only driven 165 miles at slow 55-60mph speed since I had filled up and was not out of gas. They were supposed to email me a copy of the repair work for my records but still haven't done it. Seems I'll have to be a little more firm next time I call them.

Some dealers are not eager to hand over a warranty invoice for whatever reason. I had to push to get one in Utah on a major repair.

We just had 5 models go thru open campaigns and not a single invoice provided.

My dealer finally did email me a copy of the fuel strip replacement invoice. It took a while but I kept bugging them until they sent it to me.

Intermittent K bike engine stall

Mine failed last week on my '08 K1200GT. It shut my bike down as I was riding. Just coated over to the side of the road like I had run out of gas but I still had 1/3 of a tank remaining. BMW dealer fixed it under warrantee but told me it may or may not continue to work. I hope it doesn't shut my engine down next time!

Were you giving it throttle when it died? Or did you let off the throttle, say......coming to an exit or stop light? There are many documented engine stalls on the '07 '08 K12GT's. If you haven't been, go check out the K bike forum. Lots of good info on there.

Having purchased my 2009 R1200RT with just under 6,000 miles, the fuel strip failed less than 300 miles after purchase.
The dealership replaced it under the 12-year factory warranty. Here's the interesting part:
They had to replace it three times. The first two failed during calibration. This is an amazing failure rate where the first two brand new out of the box units failed. You would think they could come up with a new part that doesn't fail. Or maybe someone else could.

Thank goodness my dealership keeps that many units in stock!

2009 RT. Just rolled 26,000 miles and experienced fuel strip failure (ran out of gas with ~50 miles remaining shown on dash). Will head to MAX in spring for first and hopefully only replacement. I heard newer strips are better, but that may just be bs.

Fuel strip not working properly at 63,000 miles on my 2007 R1200RT.

I bought it used and do not know if previous owner replaced one. I got it with about 40,000 miles in summer of 2014.

I am using the trip meter to keep track of fuel until I take the bike in for major service later this year. Reminds me of keeping track of fuel on my airheads.

My mechanic says it is covered by warranty...that surprised me on a 9 year old bike.

2008 GS Fuel Strip

2008 R1200GS 64,000KM - Will BMW Still cover the cost to replace the fuel strip under warranty? I just bought this bike and the fuel strip did not work (knew this when I bought it) but if it can get fixed for free, great! Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
2008 R1200GS 64,000KM - Will BMW Still cover the cost to replace the fuel strip under warranty? I just bought this bike and the fuel strip did not work (knew this when I bought it) but if it can get fixed for free, great! Thanks for the reply.

If you're in the US - the fuel strip on your bike is covered under a special extended warranty until 12 years after the bikes "in-service-date" (the date it first left the dealership that sold it.) Since you're not in the US then the facts may be different, don't know if BMW extended the warranty for our northern neighbors. I'd check with your local dealer.

'08 GSA on fifth..last three didn't last one tank...105,000

Installing clear tube in bulk head fittings....

07RT and just lost my third with under 1000 miles. Have had the bike a little under two years. Totally ridiculous.

Back