• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
2005 had a float unless it had the on board computer, then it had a strip.

...oh sorry...thinking of the GS.

Mine failed today

6800 miles R1200R

I was prudent to reset the trip meter which reads 48 miles.
THe computer says I have 218 miles to go but the empty tank light is glowing and the fuel bars are showing n empty tank.

M Khan

2009 RT. Have had the fuel strip replaced twice. Once be cause it was reading incorrectly, and once for a complete failure. Complete failure was after sitting for this last winter.

Mine failed a couple of days ago. It was the original one.
R1200RT 2007 91,000km

I ran out of gas and it was still showing 1/4 tank left.

My previous No vote should be changed for a Yes

What exactly constitutes a fuel strip failure?

I know that incorrect readings are one of the symptoms. Since I'm having stalling issues with my 07 RT, can the fuel strip signal a false reading to the ECU and cut the engine? For example, the strip assumes the tank is empty and signals to the ECU that we are out of gas and cut the engine. I'm just guessing. I just want to know how it works before I answer the poll.
Thank you,
Paul

fuel strip problem

I have an '07 R12R - 4 strips to date. All on BMWs dime.
I have a 2005 Rt and I had purchased the bike in 2011 with 5500 miles on it. I had it for 3 months then the strip went. Didn't bother to replace the strip back then because BMW wasn't paying the $335 to replace it. Lived with it until 2014 when at 18000 miles BMW said they would warrant it for 12 years after date of inception. Gave me a warranty until 2017. Less than 500 miles after bikes they repaired it ,the strip went again. Now it's june 2015 and they're going to repair it when I get it to the shop.
A German tour guide on a motorcycle trip in Italy told me something that makes a lot of sense. BMW never repairs a problem as soon as it happens. Here it is 2015 and only recently have the 2014's been replaced, so I have heard, with a new fuel strip or float sensor. From 2005 to 2014 they just keep replacing these things and never try to fix the problem or find any solution to the problem. This is german engineering ?!?!

Fuel strip failure

I own a 2009, R1200RT and as of this date, 6-14-2015 I have not had a fuel strip problem. I did however, have the fuel pump replaced (recall) and the rear hub replaced (again under the recall) My bike has 12.7K miles on it.
With in 20 miles of the rear hub replacement my "brake failure" indicator is on???? My ABS is not functioning when tested in a empty parking lot. Any one else with this dilemma?

I know that incorrect readings are one of the symptoms. Since I'm having stalling issues with my 07 RT, can the fuel strip signal a false reading to the ECU and cut the engine? For example, the strip assumes the tank is empty and signals to the ECU that we are out of gas and cut the engine. I'm just guessing. I just want to know how it works before I answer the poll.
Thank you,
Paul

No. Absolutely no connection with running the engine. The fuel strip just reports the fuel level to the display.

I own a 2009, R1200RT and as of this date, 6-14-2015 I have not had a fuel strip problem. I did however, have the fuel pump replaced (recall) and the rear hub replaced (again under the recall) My bike has 12.7K miles on it.
With in 20 miles of the rear hub replacement my "brake failure" indicator is on???? My ABS is not functioning when tested in a empty parking lot. Any one else with this dilemma?

Check the ABS wheel speed sensor and wiring along the swing arm.

Check the ABS wheel speed sensor and wiring along the swing arm.

+2 - there is a small clamp that holds the ABS sensor wiring against the rear drive in order to keep it away from the back of the flange that was replaced. Chances are - routing of the wire may not have been correct for the new flange. Result will be a damaged wire/sensor, and lack of ABS.

Here we go again!!!

I purchased a fuel strip in May 2014, just before BMW decided to warranty them, then had that one replaced a few months later because it failed. And guess what? I have another failed strip as of yesterday after returning from a 900km road trip, and by the way, I can't get it replaced until Aug 11th. Good thing I don't need "emergency" work. :banghead

Back