• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
05' r1200rt

Just after purchase of the bike used in 2009 the strip failed. I was able to obtain a used one via a salvage and installed the unit less recalibration. So far it is still working and the calibration is pretty close as is, so I haven't worried about it.

Now you know how I felt with 16 counterbalance and engine output seal going bad

The replacement strip is under warranty until 2 years from installation (as is every one replaced.. I'm on #8 as of today..) Have the dealer replace it again. According to my dealer's service adviser - the ones they've replaced since about June of 2013 have had no returns/reruns. They think BMW may have actually fixed the problem. I guess we'll see since #8 was installed today for me (at no charge..)

Of course no one should suggest that the MOA should take a proactive stance concerning yours and the thousands of other failed fuel strips. Just smile and hope that yours does not go bad after the warranty is up and thank BMW for admitting they have a problem with the fuel strips.

09 rt 2nd failure

i informed this thread i had no failures about a year ago. since then, i have had two...one at 31850 and another at 33524. i ask my dealer if this was going to keep happening and he didn't know. both of these were covered by an extended warranty i purchased when i bought the bike. but really, a fix only lasts 1674 miles?

Actually - BMW has been forced into recalls for faulty fuel level gauges - on the cars. The Z3 from around 1999-2002 had problems with sulphur in the fuel building up a coating on the sender unit. They would replace it under warranty - but out of warranty, it was the owner's problem (usual BMW excuse #1 "Doesn't happen in Europe. It's your fuel..") Finally NHTSA forced them to do a recall - pointing out that running out of fuel on a highway could result in a dangerous situation and possible accident.

I rather suspect the reason none has been forthcoming for the bikes is:

1 - Canada hasn't called for a recall yet, so they haven't been embarrassed into it

2 - The number of reports of the failure - despite some rather specific instructions here and in other BMW websites - is still low. Someone did a search on it recently and could only turn up 31 reported incidents. For it to have enough weight to get NHTSA's attention requires everyone who has reported a failure here to go report it to the NHTSA following EXACTLY the instructions given above. It's important to follow those instructions since if you don't - chances are - the reports will end up in different spots and won't group together when NHTSA finally gets to looking at them.

Of course no one should suggest that the MOA should take a proactive stance concerning yours and the thousands of other failed fuel strips. Just smile and hope that yours does not go bad after the warranty is up and thank BMW for admitting they have a problem with the fuel strips.
While I can't speak for the MOA - I did try to take a proactive stance by posting this poll and giving instructions on how to report the failure.

Exactly what might you expect the MOA to do? They have no "clout" with BMW-Motorrad, nor with the NHTSA. BMW-Motorrad is in business to sell bikes, as long as they are selling well - something like this falls into the noise. The NHTSA is tasked with protecting the public against potentially dangerous vehicle problems - but apparently a few fatalities are really required to get their attention.

Question - if you had a failure did YOU report it to NHTSA? The MOA can't do that for you..

It is not a safety thing. I don't know if you can report it, like the fuel pump thing. I had one of those too, and had fuel all over me.

That's not safe.

It is not a safety thing. I don't know if you can report it, like the fuel pump thing. I had one of those too, and had fuel all over me.

That's not safe.

Jordan,

Having recently been in Scottsdale.. even there, running out of fuel in the middle of an interstate presents a safety hazard IMHO. That was also the opinion of NHTSA in the case of Harley's doing the same thing, and multiple 4 wheeled motor vehicles.

It CAN be reported. The instructions are in this thread. It takes about 5 minutes. It's worth doing, rather than just complaining to the choir here. We know there is a problem, the goal is to convince NHTSA there is and get them to make BMW fix it.

Fuel Strip

Purchased a New 2009 R1200RT June 09. Fuel strip failed in the first 1000 miles. Had it replaced . New fuel strip failed almost immediately. Had it replaced around 3000 miles. Service manager at Daytona BMW suggested adding Sea Foam to cut the varnish every 3 rd or so tank of fuel. Now at 31K no problems since adding Sea Foam as suggested. Bid problem I am 162 miles away from the Dealer think BMW cares.

Purchased a New 2009 R1200RT June 09. Fuel strip failed in the first 1000 miles. Had it replaced . New fuel strip failed almost immediately. Had it replaced around 3000 miles. Service manager at Daytona BMW suggested adding Sea Foam to cut the varnish every 3 rd or so tank of fuel. Now at 31K no problems since adding Sea Foam as suggested. Bid problem I am 162 miles away from the Dealer think BMW cares.
I rather suspect the Sea Foam isn't doing anything much - good or bad. What "varnish"? I've never seen varnish buildup on any of the 8 strips my bike has had - they look brand new when they come out. If you go through the thread - it seems to be the "luck of the draw" if you get a long lasting replacement strip. You were likely lucky.

BTW - please follow the directions given in this thread to report your failures to NHTSA. Its the right thing to do.. :)

That's not safe.
If it's considered unsafe for an automobile to run out of fuel due to a defective fuel level indicator - I'd posit that it is even more unsafe to have the same thing happen on a motorcycle. And apparently NHTSA does agree since they've forced other bike manufacturers to fix their broken fuel level indicators.

It will ONLY happen if you report it. The directions on doing so are in this thread and quite specific. It takes 5 minutes. It has the potential to help fellow BMW riders. Why not just do it..

OK. Thanks for the guidelines. We just had the 7th fuel strip fail on an '08 R1200GS. I may have said 7 before, but this time I made the NHTSA complaint and was carful to recall each strip that failed and we're at 7.
Jack - you're unfortunately catching up with me.. I'm on #8 (but one never made it out of the shop..) So far - knocking on oak-grain-formica - still good. According to the service manager at my dealership the ones they've installed since about May of last year seem to be lasting. That was after BMW did the parts recall for the strips dealers had in stock, so maybe - something has changed.

Back