View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
667. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

38 5.70%
  • YES - 2006 model year

26 3.90%
  • YES - 2007 model year

77 11.54%
  • YES - 2008 model year

92 13.79%
  • YES - 2009 model year

129 19.34%
  • YES - 2010 model year

47 7.05%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

20 3.00%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

53 7.95%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

227 34.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Is it SUPPOSED to do this?

Hi... first BMW, first post here on my three-month trial membership (we'll determine later just who's on trial), introductions later.

Bought a new-to-me '06 R1200GS with 50K miles last fall. First owner left fairly detailed records, and while it appears he had to replace the fuel pump, he did not mention the fuel strip. So I assume I'm still on the original. So... is it working? That depends on how it's supposed to work. It does not read "empty" on a full tank, nor have I run out with a "half tank" showing on the gauge. But it does act weird, at least compared to any fuel gauge I've seen in the past. Here's what happens: I fill the tank. The little bar graph reads full... and continues to read full for the first 90-120 miles. Then it instantly drops to the 1/2 mark. For the next 60-80 miles, it behaves like I would expect, slowly dropping until it hits the striped area. At that point the annoying display comes on (really? a flashing gas pump icon, plus the yellow caution light? highly distracting in my book..) and it starts counting down. I've never gotten close enough to tell if the countdown is accurate; furthest I've gotten is two of those stripes remaining.

So anyway: re the sitting at full till it's half gone (and that is a pretty accurate "half gone" based on stated tank capacity and my computed mileage) and the instantly dropping to "half"--is this what it's supposed to do? If so, I can go into the survey as "no failure yet"; if not, you can add me to the list of people who've experienced a failure, though a benign one.

When I replied to the survey I had just replaced my first fuel strip. One year later and I am about to replace my third. I am disappointed to say the least.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

I'm working on number 6

Funny, went back and dug into the results. Apparently I said none back when this first came up. I'm on my third, but should have kept my first. It was only flakey between 3/4 and 1/2 a tank. Both the replacements have been odd from 1/2 to 1 bar...
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

08 RT.
    Original just went out.
    In the process of deciding to bother with it. I always use the trip minder anyway after I ran out of fuel with "112 miles to empty".
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by narbbipoot View Post
    So anyway: re the sitting at full till it's half gone (and that is a pretty accurate "half gone" based on stated tank capacity and my computed mileage) and the instantly dropping to "half"--is this what it's supposed to do? If so, I can go into the survey as "no failure yet"; if not, you can add me to the list of people who've experienced a failure, though a benign one.
    That may not be what "its supposed to do".. but it is what most of them do. The reason is the twin lobe shape of the tank. The strip goes up from the fuel pump to the top of the tank to cross over the hump in the middle, then it goes down into the other lobe of the tank. Half full is about where the top of the hump is. It is not at all linear.

I'd be happy if mine worked accurately for the second half of a tank.. but my current strip is telling me I have 140 miles until empty, on a tank that's already gone 200 miles, with a 5 gallon tank capacity. That would be amazing mileage if it was true. Used to be at 200 miles it would be telling me I have no miles left (not true - but close enough..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

@deilenberger Faith's fuel strip is still going strong...knock on wood....but on the K12 mine went out last month...#7, and riding today it has died....this only lasted about 400 miles or almost 2 tanks of fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

2007 r1200gs

My recall original the new one much like the old one not reliable for fuel quantity use trip meter