• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
2005 RT, original strip failed around 28K Replacement under extended warranty failed within 200 miles, on the 3rd one holding good at 33K

2012 r12r Classic-no outright failure, but, on occassioned, the light comes on, the computer says 30-35 miles to empty and the tank is bone dry. Can't rely on gauge, light or computer.

2012 r12r Classic-no outright failure, but, on occassioned, the light comes on, the computer says 30-35 miles to empty and the tank is bone dry. Can't rely on gauge, light or computer.
Las,

"bone dry" as in the engine stopped? The R12R has greater fuel tank capacity then BMW spec's. Many of us have exceeded 5.5 gallons on a fill up (after running past the "0 miles left" - not intentionally - warning.) The light is supposed to turn on when you have 40 miles to empty (computed at current MPG and fuel level.)

Also - one hint. Reset the MPG at every fill-up. BMW recommended this on some of the hexhead models to get a more accurate "miles to empty" number. Apparently the average MPG will just keep averaging about forever, so for it to be accurate for "right now" conditions, resetting it helps. I've even been known to reset it in the middle of a ride if the riding conditions changed (highway vs urban vs backroads.)

Of course this poll only shows a very small group of riders who do indeed take the time to reply and belong to MOA. Sadley not all owners belong. In fact a lot do not. BMW will not release any of their numbers for a true look at this problem. I have called BMWNA for this information and was stonewalled.

Ater installing number 7 I am naturally concerned. I was told there are no plans to retrofit or solve this problem for previous bikes.

Release of the data by BMWNA would give all a true picture of how big this is or how minor it is. Due to the refusal to release this information I would guess the first option.

Would be nice to know how many MOA members are riding R1200RT's dating from 2005 to 2011. This would give the poll more validation and meaning. Using the poll it appears that about 50% have had strip failures or multiple failures such as myself. That is an overwhelming percentage. DOT gets involved with safety items at +10% as a comparison.

Jack

Actually Jack, your conclusion that there is a 50% failure is not correct.
I have been looking at the poll and it does skew the result a bit the way it is laid out.

All the once with multiple failures, vote multiple times.
Once for their year model and then again for "multiple failure" part of the poll.
If I was in your situation, I would be just as angry and frustrated with every right to be so.
I do have to wonder thought that the once having such a high failure rate, where others might have had one only, are actually looking at issues with their dealer/mechanics not being able to install these properly. Rather then the strips themselves.

It does show a high failure rate between 2007 ~ 2009 and then drops off sharply again.
So there appears to be far less problems after 2009 again and if that is the case, you would have to assume some improvements have been done on those strips.
So why are yours and some of the others still failing with the newer strips?

I haven't voted as I purchased mine 2nd hand and I do not have the full history of the bike, except for it's services.
It's a 2005 SE RT with computer/ESA etc.
And no, zero failure so far.

Back