View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
558. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

29 5.20%
  • YES - 2006 model year

22 3.94%
  • YES - 2007 model year

64 11.47%
  • YES - 2008 model year

76 13.62%
  • YES - 2009 model year

103 18.46%
  • YES - 2010 model year

41 7.35%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

17 3.05%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

48 8.60%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

198 35.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Quote Originally Posted by kthflieger View Post
    no strip failure yet on either my f800gs or r1200rt
    I don't believe the F800GS uses the fuel strip, and without the year of your RT - can't say with certainty that it does either.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

No Fuel Strip prob

2006 R1200RT
    60,000 miles
    NO FUEL STRIP PROB.

2005 RT - 38k miles

fuel strip went bad shortly after purchasing used three years ago. After online research I decided to use resistors to make the ZFE think there was a good fuel strip and fuel in the tank. I took in for warranty repair to the local dealer a couple months ago. They ripped out my resistors with some bad comments about them (I didn't tell them yet I did that as they also told me they were replacing fuel pump under warranty due to cracked fpc board and I didn't want to make them mad. Eventually they came out and said the replaced the fuel strip twice and it still wasn't working, so they think it needs further troubleshooting not under warranty, and it may be bad ZFE. Well, at that point I didn't have much choice but say ok and ride home. Then last week I dig into it and pins 2 & 3 on the fuel strip connector (for the strip, not the heater), show infinite resistance instead of 2-3k like is reported for good strips... That seems a pretty clear cut indication the fuel strip is bad. Should I call the dealer service department and tell them this (even though they don't seem to have much electrical understanding of bikes), or just take it in and let them troubleshoot on "my dime" until they realize it really is another fuel stip (at which point I should not get charged). What do you guys think having dealt with BMW Motorrad far longer than me (this is my first).?

fuel strip

2008r1200rt no failure

Quote Originally Posted by inlinuxdude View Post
    2005 RT - 38k miles

fuel strip went bad shortly after purchasing used three years ago. After online research I decided to use resistors to make the ZFE think there was a good fuel strip and fuel in the tank. I took in for warranty repair to the local dealer a couple months ago. They ripped out my resistors with some bad comments about them (I didn't tell them yet I did that as they also told me they were replacing fuel pump under warranty due to cracked fpc board and I didn't want to make them mad. Eventually they came out and said the replaced the fuel strip twice and it still wasn't working, so they think it needs further troubleshooting not under warranty, and it may be bad ZFE. Well, at that point I didn't have much choice but say ok and ride home. Then last week I dig into it and pins 2 & 3 on the fuel strip connector (for the strip, not the heater), show infinite resistance instead of 2-3k like is reported for good strips... That seems a pretty clear cut indication the fuel strip is bad. Should I call the dealer service department and tell them this (even though they don't seem to have much electrical understanding of bikes), or just take it in and let them troubleshoot on "my dime" until they realize it really is another fuel stip (at which point I should not get charged). What do you guys think having dealt with BMW Motorrad far longer than me (this is my first).?
    Call dealer, get a new one
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

I just bought my first BMW Moto. A 2007 K1200S with 16500 miles. The strip just went bad because when I rode the bike to see if I wanted it, the fuel gage was working. Now it is not. Would BMW replace the strip if I am not the original buyer? If not, is there a float type sending unit that would work with the gauge? I heard that the 1300 uses a float type. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by kg4kdn View Post
    I just bought my first BMW Moto. A 2007 K1200S with 16500 miles. The strip just went bad because when I rode the bike to see if I wanted it, the fuel gage was working. Now it is not. Would BMW replace the strip if I am not the original buyer? If not, is there a float type sending unit that would work with the gauge? I heard that the 1300 uses a float type. Any truth to that?
    1. Yes if it uses a fuel strip. Not sure on the K1200S - likely it does. BMW doesn't like to limit blunders to just one model.
    2. No.
    3. Which 1300?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    1. Yes if it uses a fuel strip. Not sure on the K1200S - likely it does. BMW doesn't like to limit blunders to just one model.
    2. No.
    3. Which 1300?
    K1200S used the strip. K1300S used the float.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    3. Which 1300?
    All K1300 models use a float. K1300S, K1300R and K1300GT.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

2013 R1200RT, no fuel problems