Thread: 2011 R1200RT Windscreen stuck fully raised - manually lower?

2011 R1200RT Windscreen stuck fully raised - manually lower?

Hello -

My R1200RT LH switch cluster has gone bad and the windscreen is stuck in the fully raised position. I am waiting for the dealer to get a replacement switch.

In the meantime I am hoping that I can jumper the appropriate wires on the cable harness to lower the windscreen - it is hot in Pittsburgh... The Haynes manual was less than helpful in identifying how the connectors that plug into the switch cluster are wired. Does anyone have any idea which wires connect to the windscreen lower contacts on the switch?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob Boehmer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    '11 R1200RT

There are probably only two wires actually going to the motor. One polarity turns the motor one way - say "up"; and the other polarity turns the motor the other way - say "down". The rest of the circuitry does the reversing of the polarity. If you can get two jumper wires to the wires to the motor you can lower the windshield. I do not have a wiring diagram for this bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

PGlaves - thanks for the suggestion. The motor is wired to the central electronics unit and it looked like it was going to be a complicated process to lower it right at the motor.

I decided to figure out just how the LH switch is wired. I have the Haynes book but the schematics for this switch contradict each other and I couldn't tell how it is wired. So I got my meter out & rang out the connectors. Here is how everything is wired if anyone else needs it.

There are 3 connectors on the switch, an eight pin connector, a four pin connector and a two pin connector.

The two pin connector is for the grip heater.

The four pin and eight pin connectors handle the switches. (Note that the cruise control and the magic wheel each has its own cable and do not go through the connectors.)

The 4-pin connector has pins 1 and 4 marked on the plastic.
    1: Lower Windscreen
    2: Raise Windscreen
    3: ASC
    4: ESA

The 8-pin connector has pins 1 and 5 marked on the plastic. The pins are numbered in numeric order, one through four on the one side and five through eight on the other side.
    1: Horn
    2: Right Turn Signal
    3: Hazard
    4: High Beam/Flash High Beam
    5: Cancel Turn Signal
    6: Left Turn Signal
    7: Wetting voltage
    8: Info button

In order to activate any function you need to connect the wetting voltage from pin 7 of the 8-pin connector to the desired function.

So, to lower the windscreen, jumper pin 7 from the 8-pin connector to pin 1 of the 4-pin connector. The bike needs to be running for the windscreen to raise and lower.

My windscreen is now fully down and I am looking forward to not roasting

I hope that this helps someone else.

Bob
    Bob Boehmer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    '11 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by bboehmer View Post
    PGlaves - thanks for the suggestion. The motor is wired to the central electronics unit and it looked like it was going to be a complicated process to lower it right at the motor.

I decided to figure out just how the LH switch is wired. I have the Haynes book but the schematics for this switch contradict each other and I couldn't tell how it is wired. So I got my meter out & rang out the connectors. Here is how everything is wired if anyone else needs it.

There are 3 connectors on the switch, an eight pin connector, a four pin connector and a two pin connector.

The two pin connector is for the grip heater.

The four pin and eight pin connectors handle the switches. (Note that the cruise control and the magic wheel each has its own cable and do not go through the connectors.)

The 4-pin connector has pins 1 and 4 marked on the plastic.
    1: Lower Windscreen
    2: Raise Windscreen
    3: ASC
    4: ESA

The 8-pin connector has pins 1 and 5 marked on the plastic. The pins are numbered in numeric order, one through four on the one side and five through eight on the other side.
    1: Horn
    2: Right Turn Signal
    3: Hazard
    4: High Beam/Flash High Beam
    5: Cancel Turn Signal
    6: Left Turn Signal
    7: Wetting voltage
    8: Info button

In order to activate any function you need to connect the wetting voltage from pin 7 of the 8-pin connector to the desired function.

So, to lower the windscreen, jumper pin 7 from the 8-pin connector to pin 1 of the 4-pin connector. The bike needs to be running for the windscreen to raise and lower.

My windscreen is now fully down and I am looking forward to not roasting

I hope that this helps someone else.

Bob
    Good job!!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/