Thread: Another HID question

Another HID question

installed a single HID on one of my low beams with little success, it would work fine starting in the morning but would not refire after a gas or meal break. Checked it all out couldn't find a problem so I removed it. Now the other low beam has burnt out so I'm thinking about trying the HID route again with a different supplier. My question revolves around a post I saw on another forum relating to the current draw at startup. The post implied that the increased draw required to fire the light could damage the OEM wiring, so recommended a relay operated by the bikes circuitry and provided power to the lights. The comment was related to a K bike not an RT. Any comment? I really liked the HID when it was working.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Prevost (30 miles north of Montreal), Quebec, Canada
    I have been using HID for my low beams on my RT since 2011 without relays and had no issues.

Please note that I am using the 35watts HID kit and the original halogen bulb on the RT are 55watts so the initial current draw for the 35watts HID is not an issue.

If you choose 55watts HID that would require a relay and might cause other issues because of the extra heat.
    2011 R1200RT Triple Gray, ABS, ASC, ESAII, TPMS & Alarm.
    Wunderlich Engine and Rear Prot. Bar, Oil Cooler Guard, CSS Tank Pads, Paralever Slider, Mirror Adapters & Flash Mirrors,
    Integrated GPS Mount & Touratech Zumo 660 Locking Mount, Russell Day-Long Seat.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchnew View Post
    I have been using HID for my low beams on my RT since 2011 without relays and had no issues.

Please note that I am using the 35watts HID kit and the original halogen bulb on the RT are 55watts so the initial current draw for the 35watts HID is not an issue.

If you choose 55watts HID that would require a relay and might cause other issues because of the extra heat.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to check that when I buy.