Thread: '07RT wheel bearings

'07RT wheel bearings

Just replaced front wheel bearings at 124K kms. Haynes recommends heating wheel to 100C which I did for an hour. Manual neglected to add the job is much easier if your wife is out while you heat the wheel in the kitchen stove...
    Btw, rest of procedure was smooth, melted ice cube on each old bearings to drive out, new bearings were in freezer overnight and tapped in. One bearing was toast, the other fine.
    P.S. leave a kitchen window open after to clear aromas of wheel bearing grease.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

You do things like that when she is not home and never admit you know what that smell is.

Quote Originally Posted by 31310 View Post
    Just replaced front wheel bearings at 124K kms. Haynes recommends heating wheel to 100C which I did for an hour. Manual neglected to add the job is much easier if your wife is out while you heat the wheel in the kitchen stove...
    Btw, rest of procedure was smooth, melted ice cube on each old bearings to drive out, new bearings were in freezer overnight and tapped in. One bearing was toast, the other fine.
    P.S. leave a kitchen window open after to clear aromas of wheel bearing grease.
    You can also heat the hub by placing it on a cookie sheet on top of a small hot plate. I keep a hot plate (obtained at a long-ago garage sale) in the shop for just such local heating applications. Or, you can drape the hub with towels periodically renewed with boiling water.

I admit that I have placed parts in the oven occasionally. Never a whole alloy wheel, though. I presume you had the tire off?

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    You can also heat the hub by placing it on a cookie sheet on top of a small hot plate. I keep a hot plate (obtained at a long-ago garage sale) in the shop for just such local heating applications. Or, you can drape the hub with towels periodically renewed with boiling water.

I admit that I have placed parts in the oven occasionally. Never a whole alloy wheel, though. I presume you had the tire off?

JayJay
    THE TIRE!!😱That's what that funny smell was.

Tire was off to put on new skins. Would have a tough time explaining to her, and insurance co why the house burned.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT